Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post

Very nice, looks a lot like ours.
DW wants to know if your cabinets were originally wood? If so what did you paint them with?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes they were hardwood withe the brass hardware. We primed them, then used Lowes semigloss bright white. I sanded all hinges and handles and sprayed them with rustoleum carbon mist paint.

Many on here will not agree with my choice of painting over good hardwood, but in really didn't like the inside of an RV look. Here is what they looked like before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_212818.png
Views:	324
Size:	484.9 KB
ID:	39699   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_212836.png
Views:	294
ID:	39700  

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_212904.png
Views:	274
ID:	39701   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_212927.png
Views:	269
ID:	39702  

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post

Yes they were hardwood withe the brass hardware. We primed them, then used Lowes semigloss bright white. I sanded all hinges and handles and sprayed them with rustoleum carbon mist paint.

Many on here will not agree with my choice of painting over good hardwood, but in really didn't like the inside of an RV look. Here is what they looked like before.
Looks great. I like the real wood, but DW wants to paint. Maybe next year.

Did you paint the fridge too?
What did you use on the living room floor?

Looks like what we are going to use on ours. I'm just concerned it will be to slippery at the entrance on wet days.

Thanks,
Mike
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just remodeled our coffee house and had the flooring left over. It is as mannington vinyl plank. Its very thick guaranteed 20 years. I re Dr I'd the stairs with welcome mats. That should take care of any residue wetness, and we installed it in the coffee house because it wasn't slippery when wet.

We also primed and painted our walls with a high grade interior paint. Our next step is to install white shutters over the windows. We got rid of the ugly valances and day night blinds.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes I also painted fridge.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #33

Having installed the Allure flooring twice my only advice is "don't"

It will last you about 12 months before it starts separating.

The next one I do will be in engineered hardwood, glued down. Probably bamboo.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #34

i installed Allure in my motorhome also and wouldn't do it again. as soon as it gets cold , it shrinks and the joints open up.

As far as the tv goes, i put a love seat with 2 recliners in place of the couch and put a cabinet with an elecric tv lift and a 40" tv in it across from the love seat. it works great. you can put the tv down , as not to block the window when not in use.
Kelowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Having installed the Allure flooring twice my only advice is "don't"

It will last you about 12 months before it starts separating.

The next one I do will be in engineered hardwood, glued down. Probably bamboo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelowna View Post
i installed Allure in my motorhome also and wouldn't do it again. as soon as it gets cold , it shrinks and the joints open up.
I have read dozens of posts on this forum about Allure flooring in Motorhomes.
It appears to me that 90% of the people are happy with it, some even having it in their coach for years and through hot to cold.

It also appears to me that there 2 basic types. Ultra which snaps together, and the type with the glue strips.

Next observation is that most people let it float while others glue it down.

Can I ask which version you guys used?
Did you let it float?
Also what I haven't put together is if there is a relationship between road use or parking. How many miles did you put on your rigs with the Allure flooring?

Great idea with the TV, where did you get the cabinet

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #36

mine is the click together and it floats. I have put about 12,000 miles on it with the floor installed. it is exposed to pretty cold weather in the winter here in southern BC.and then 100 deg + in the summer, maybe thats my issue, The tv cabinet I made and bought the lift mechanism from Richelieu hardware. the cabinet is pretty basic.
Kelowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelowna View Post
mine is the click together and it floats. I have put about 12,000 miles on it with the floor installed. it is exposed to pretty cold weather in the winter here in southern BC.and then 100 deg + in the summer, maybe thats my issue, The tv cabinet I made and bought the lift mechanism from Richelieu hardware. the cabinet is pretty basic.
Thanks for the feed back.
Home Depot says its for use in climate controlled environments, which is what makes me nervous about it.
We will be full time come July however between now and then it will get over 100F in our coach in Las Vegas. We will be in cold climates this winter and while we will have the heat on all the time, if we take it in for service or repair it will be off and could get very cold.

Not sure what direction to head. It's not that pricy and seems easy enough to install, I may just roll the dice and see how it holds up.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #38

We did laminate flooring throughout in our motor home and we are very happy with it.It has been about three years since we installed it and it still looks great. My only complaint is that the short seam between two planks has separated about a 1/16" of an inch, but nobody ever notices unless I point it out. Our floor is floating and one thing that I did when installing the floor was to make sure that nothing is bearing weight on the floating (laminate flooring) everything is elevated and mounted directly to the sub floor. This will allow the floor to truly float. Now we have only put roughly six to seven thousand miles on our motor home since the install, so I don't know if this is a appropriate comparison to your application. I also mentioned that I have photos posted on this site in a previous post, but I have copied a link to a public album on my Facebook page since the photos are difficult to locate on this site.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9271267&type=3

It is before and after photos of our motor home, so you can see where we started and what we have changed. It will also give you a look at the new furniture that we installed.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #39

I did floating with the glue strips and both eventually failed. The problem is that unless the RV is always climate controlled the glue strips will fail. I am guessing that they would last longer in a 'fulltimer' rig than in an occasional use rig due to this.

As I said, my next install (this winter) will be glued down engineered hardwood. This is completely stable under all temperature conditions.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Dropping floor today

DW doing a great job

Name:	image-2208262289.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	40024