Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #1

Removal of front end plastic coating

Hey gang,

We have 2014 Fleetwood Bounder that, at some point, had a thin plastic (?) coating applied to the front-end. I'm assuming that it was applied to keep the front-end free of bugs and to protect the paint.

It is now 2022. And that coating is both pitted and tearing.

I'd like to remove it, if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks
Eddie
EddieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
More than likely it came from the factory with it, ours did. The newer DS product is supposed to be better than the stuff of your vintage as that was prone to mold buildup under it. It can be removed but it is very labor intensive. There is a company that has products to help remove it but it's still a lot of work.
https://uglyshieldremoval.com/diamond-shield-removal/
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:13 PM   #3

Pay a professional.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You’re going to need to set aside an entire weekend to remove it. People have used various techniques to remove it. Personally, I purchased a wallpaper remover that uses steam to heat the film and then peel it off in whatever size pieces it will. The more degraded the film, the smaller the pieces will be.

Once the film is off, you will see that a lot of adhesive residue remains. I used “Goof Off” to remove that. It took a lot of time and patience.

Once that is all done, you’ll have to consider that you now have a front cap that is completely exposed to rocks and other road hazards that the film protected from. The hardness of the paint used by the manufacturer will dictate what the effect of that is. In my case, the paint was soft and my front end looked like it had been shot with rock salt within a year.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Pay a professional.

Could you give me the name of a professional in Ft. Myers? I live in Punta Gorda. Thanks
Doc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Doc007-we were on the way to have it done when Ian started acting up! http://https://uglyshieldremoval.com/ Wayne is very helpful, we will be rescheduling when he is back in operation.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, IMHO, do it soon and hire it done. I waited too long on mine and it took two vinyl applicator experts 3 solid, hard working days to remove it a small piece at a time using every trick they knew.

Tags
removal