Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #1

Remove Dog House Doghouse Cover.

I am getting ready to install DynaMat and Dynaliner to the inside surface of my doghouse to deaden the sound and heat. Will be easy peasy IF I can easily remove and replace the doghouse cover. A big ole hassle if I have to do it in the vertical position. Has anybody ever removed this? Is it possible? I started to mess with the hinge because the hinge fasteners look impassable.
This is a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind Storm sitting on an F53 chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210826_183624.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	341093   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210826_183547.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	341094  

Name:	20210826_183533.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	341095  
GonzoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As is so often the case the maker put the fasteners on before the carpet! No consideration for the end user. You have only tough choices. You might consider checking to see if that carpet comes up easily so you can slit it alongside the hinge. pull the carpet back, unscrew or cut off those fasteners and then later replace them with screws and nyloc nuts. Carpet glue will let you put the rug back and hide the seam.

Clean the doghouse well before installation. The Dynamat will help. Don't forget that much of the noise comes from the windshield and can't be helped. A nice thick fitted dashboard cover will help too. They sell online specifically for your RV. Some 3M rubber undercoat will help under your feet also and also in the trans tunnel and above the front of the engine.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #3

If those hinge pins cannot be slid out then I'd also cut the carpet. Put the dog back down, try to lift the carpet up to get to the hinge screws. If if doesn't pull up just cut along the hinge and lift the carpet piece up. Once you put the dog house cover back on and screw the hinge back down, the little carpet flap that cut will just fold back over the hinge and you even see it bc it's at the back of the dog house cover.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #4

Use small punch or a nail set to drive out pins.. but wait.. you will also find you can remove bottom part of dog house.. yes it has 2 parts.. the hatch and lower rim.. you can get to so much more.. if you pull lower rim too.. and you will find there is no insulation on it.. don't believe me? Use your cell phone with camera and flash and record up under and around the eng bay.. then watch it.. members here gave me advice.. and I thank all of them.. to use a magnet and feel around the lower base and you will find screws that hold it down hidden under the carpet .. the manufacturer also use some kind of sealant too.. so you will need to re caulk base.. but once it's up you will be able to do so much more.. you will see on your phone that they missed so much more.. and you might want to do that too.. and if you do.. the difference is night and day.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 08-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

Just read above.. a lot of sound comes from dash.. and that is right.. again your cell phone with camera and flash are your best friend.. you can put cell phone into places your head cannot.. so under hood.. record up under dash and you will see they added nothing.. [ it's just a big empty space that acts like a real big sub woofer ] .. you can do that to.. but wait for it! There is more.. open the gauge panel and look in dash area.. [ another subwoofer] .. and you will find.. missing screws.. and loose dash screws and probably find screws the workers just throw in loose to hide them.. there have been reports of beer cans, old lunch ect.. you will want to add screws and tighten what is there.. then sound proof/insulation all under dash.. I am telling you... ONCE YOU GET STARTED WITH THIS STUFF.... YOU CAN'T STOP... and the difference.. the more you add and use the thickest you can the better.. I added 10 or 15 big boxes of this stuff.. my biggest mistake was no going with the thickest the 1st time.. sometimes you can't but under dash and all under the hood.. use thicker stuff.. oh.. oh... don't forget the sides of the front cap under the hood.. yes did that too.. really do yourself a favor.. don't just try putting a 2 foot piece on hatch.. it makes tiny difference.. but when you do it all.. man what a difference.. don't forget to wipe the surface down with alcohol.. use all safety precautions.. you are in a confine space.. fumes can build up so lots of ventilation.. oh don't even get me started about the fire wall under the hood.. there are so many places.. used 80 mill and 350 ish.. mill all over.. with aluminum face..
Old 08-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine looks the same as what you have and it just slides off the pins and you can lift it off. I'd think our MH would be basically the same set up?
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #7

Exactly Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Mine looks the same as what you have and it just slides off the pins and you can lift it off. I'd think our MH would be basically the same set up?
Exactly Right! I used a small blade screwdriver to try and see if it would move and it did! Then I noticed the keeper clip on the grooved end of the pin and removed it. Then it slid right off. I am off to do my work now. Appreciate ALL the replies... lots for me to think about while I work on the cover.

THANK YOU 98!
Old 08-30-2021, 06:58 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Would love to see some pics when your done. Might be something I'd like to do to mine if yours turn out to your satisfaction. Good luck with your project.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:00 PM   #9

How to remove lower part of doghouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Use small punch or a nail set to drive out pins.. but wait.. you will also find you can remove bottom part of dog house.. yes it has 2 parts.. the hatch and lower rim.. you can get to so much more.. if you pull lower rim too.. and you will find there is no insulation on it..
How did you remove the lower part. I looked, unscrewed the few screws to the floor, but I still couldn't remove it, 2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32SV.

Any help hints quite appreciated!
rpennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpennington View Post
How did you remove the lower part. I looked, unscrewed the few screws to the floor, but I still couldn't remove it, 2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32SV.

Any help hints quite appreciated!
Look carefully on the top forward edge. There are screws in there. Also Fleetwood seals the bottom edge. You will have to cut through the sealant.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:27 PM   #11

Decide how you want to remove doghouse. Then, remove front seats, remove/roll back carpet to where it meets the other flooring used.. I installed Dyna Mat on the firewall back to where the carpeting meets the other flooring. Inner doghouse. Clean well, de natured alcohol, acetate. Install Dyna Mat to inner dog house. To ensure the Dyna Mat would adhere to dog house because of the engine heat, I also cut to fit garden fencing, the 1/2 inch square galvanized stuff. (In case it wanted to come loose because of the heat.) Never did. Roll back carpet and nail down. (After you have removed all the tacks and nails from the previous removal.) On the exterior. I cleaned up the wheel wells and cut to fit 3/4 inch styrofoam and placed it on all flat surfaces below the cockpit, then painted rubberized roof paint over the styrofoam. Quieted down the cockpit very well. Now, I wish I had known about the dash noise. Oh well, that one is gone. Most expensive was the Dyna Mat. You can do it in a day.
Good luck, take your time.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #12

Exactly Right! I used a small blade screwdriver to try and see if it would move and it did! Then I noticed the keeper clip on the grooved end of the pin and removed it. Then it slid right off. I am off to do my work now. Appreciate ALL the replies... lots for me to think about while I work on the cover.

THANK YOU 98FPA!

Name:	20210829_104803.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	343041

So I took a sound level measurement before starting.

Name:	Screenshot_20210829-120252_Sound Meter.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	343046

Then I did the work... starting with acetone and steel wool followed by alcohol and a dry towel. Next laid down the Dynamat extreme followed by the Dynaliner 1/2" thickness.
Notice the Bocce ball and the smaller egg shaped device I used like a roller to slowly but surely apply the liners. It was tough going... it took lots of advanced planning. Had to cut them both as you can maybe see.

Name:	20210909_173226.jpg
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	343042

Name:	20210909_175359.jpg
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	343043

Name:	20210910_172521.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	343044

There was an opening to the doghouse down by the driver's seat. Every time the radiator fan kicked in it would blow hot air into the motorhome. That made it seem like the air conditioner had cut out. I closed that opening up with some leftover dynaliner. Yay!

When I reattached the doghouse it closed tight and snug. A different feeling than before. And then I followed up with another sound level measurement.

Name:	Screenshot_20210911-161237_Sound Meter.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	343047

It definitely sounds quieter... not muffled... Just quiet. Now... as described by several of you above... the most noticeable sound is coming from the firewall at my feet. Will be heading out for a 4-day trip tomorrow and will report back how well it works when not sitting in my driveway ;-)

Thank you, to everyone for ALL your great ideas!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
Decide how you want to remove doghouse. Then, remove front seats, remove/roll back carpet to where it meets the other flooring used.. I installed Dyna Mat on the firewall back to where the carpeting meets the other flooring. Inner doghouse. Clean well, de natured alcohol, acetate. Install Dyna Mat to inner dog house. To ensure the Dyna Mat would adhere to dog house because of the engine heat, I also cut to fit garden fencing, the 1/2 inch square galvanized stuff. (In case it wanted to come loose because of the heat.) Never did. Roll back carpet and nail down. (After you have removed all the tacks and nails from the previous removal.) On the exterior. I cleaned up the wheel wells and cut to fit 3/4 inch styrofoam and placed it on all flat surfaces below the cockpit, then painted rubberized roof paint over the styrofoam. Quieted down the cockpit very well. Now, I wish I had known about the dash noise. Oh well, that one is gone. Most expensive was the Dyna Mat. You can do it in a day.
Good luck, take your time.

There is still time to cut the dash noise and with it some of the windshield noise. Just do some shopping around and find a dash cover with some thickness and custom made to fit. We found a good one and installed it and it made a big difference both in sound coming off of the dash and the noise that bounces around the window area. In addition it makes a great place for pets to lay.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #14

Is it possible you can take a picture of where the screws arein the front of the doghouse? I can't find any.
rpennington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, dog