Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
For anyone who can't read the .pdf...here is the text: Bulletin: Removing Eternabond
How do you remove the best sealing tape in the world? Well, it is not easy,but if you follow these instructions, it is not impossible.First, you have to determine if you really need to remove it at all. For example, if you are going to replace a skylight or vent that has been sealed with Eternabond, and after replacing the skylight or vent are going to reseal it with Eternabond, you can simply:
1. Cut through the old Eternabond tape along the edge of the old skylight or vent.
2.Remove the screws holding it down.
3.When you lift the old skylight or vent off, half of the Eternabond will be on the flange of the skylight or vent, and half will still be on the roof.
4.When you install the new skylight or vent, simply screw it down and...
5.Put a new piece of Eternabond over the first in the same place.
OR...Second, if you have determined the Eternabond must be removed, followthese instructions:
1.Using a heat gun or a hair drier, heat up 2” – 4” of the tape on one end.
2.Grab a corner of the tape and pull on it. The sealant should stretch like pizza cheese.
3.As you are pulling on the tape, cut the stretched Eternabond with a razor blade, keeping it wet with water.
4.At this point some of the residual gray Eternabond MicroSealant will still be on the roof. Work it off using a strong solvent like lacquer thinner, acetone, or gasoline, and some elbow grease, or...
5.Leave the residue in place. It will not hurt anything, and if you put new Eternabond over the old, the new MicroSealant will absorb the old MicroSealant.
Please DON'T use gasoline!
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Please DON'T use gasoline!
Many, (all?) of the solvents necessary to remove Eternabond adhesive are as flammable/dangerous as gasoline!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:54 AM   #17

This is my experience with removing Eternabond, no solvents necessary! https://vocal.media/lifehack/how-to-...eGslhW-_NQ3x8k
Kitty_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:49 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used heat and a dull scraper. Mineral spirts to get up and remaining residue which wasn't much.

My repair was also replacing a cracked shower skylight (which was field repaired with eternabond).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_172402.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	370795   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170602_175619.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	370796  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170602_184041.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	370797   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_130721.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	370798  

Old 07-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #19

I just went through the Eternabond removal process on my EPDM roof. I pulled off the gray tape, using a razorblade to cut the bounding. I cleaned the left over goo off with 3M 08984 General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner and a putty knife.

Richard
Old 07-12-2022, 08:58 PM   #20

Anything that will remove butyl rubber will work on Eternabond. Worked for a rubber company when I was young. The solvent used to clean bonding serfaces and if necessary remove it was trichloroethylene. Nasty stuff, but worked really fast. It used to be sold in the paint department of Home Depot for a while even after California outlawed it for commercial use.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond