RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
I had someone install a kill switch on my truck cost me $100. Then i found out that unless they have the keyfob they are not going anywhere so the kill switch is overkill but it still makes me feel better. I use a brake lock too lol.... This is what happens when you live in the number 1 car theft city in the nation, Albuquerque NM....

I think maybe you just need to do one thing, maybe one fuse, they will never know which one it is and so your safe there, all they can do is get mad and break something in the MH maybe. I pull my jack fuse on my 5ver and hide it away when im done setting up. It takes them longer to take it that way if they cant jack it up.
Good post...
What was that KILL switch that needed the key fob hooked up to? I don't think that's overkill...I think that's SMART !

Quote...
This is what happens when you live in the number 1 car theft city in the nation, Albuquerque NM....
Absolutely, HELLO.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Good post...
What was that KILL switch that needed the key fob hooked up to? I don't think that's overkill...I think that's SMART !

Quote...
This is what happens when you live in the number 1 car theft city in the nation, Albuquerque NM....
Absolutely, HELLO.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 I went to get a key made for the truck and the lock smith could not start the truck so i told him about it and he said unless they have the keyfob they are not taking this truck anywhere and what you have is overkill. lol i guess better overkill than paying insurance deductable
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #45

Add a disabling feature or dont, but dont base your decision about that on having insurance because its not what you think it is.

The concern isnt the insurance deductible. Its what they decide the replacement value is if its totaled. How do you feel about getting it back if it isnt totaled?

Unless you are one of the lucky few that have cost replacement you are left with the book value. Its not dealer book value either, its lower.

How many are upside down owed vs value? Probably anyone that has a loan on a newer RV. I dont have to worry about that, I paid $34,000 cash but I dont want to lose that cash in devaluation because of whatever the insurance company says its worth. I can guarantee you they wont value it at what you think. Nothing sucks more than owing money for something you dont have anymore.

Want an enlightening conversation? Ask your insurance what replacement value is on your rig. Its likely going to be at the least $5-10K less than what you value it at, not counting the deductible.

We aren't even talking about content loss. You think you dont have anything you care about but if you give a hard thought to it you will find lots of things you dont want to have to do over or try to find replacements of.

My 96 ranger was hit by a truck and trailer. It was totaled, other drivers fault.
The insurance valued replacement at $9000, the cheapest I could replace the truck (same for same) was $15,000. I had a heck of a time finding one, ended up threatening the insurance company and getting the money I needed. You cant sue your own insurance, they give you what they give you.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #46

I knew when i bought this RV that it would probably be one for life, i could never resell it as i have modified it so much. So i have what i have, if i lose it then im screwed. I owned them both outright until this year i took a small loan out on the truck to build my credit up.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 PM   #47

if your in a DP they sell locks to lock the air brakes on which would make it more difficult to steal or tow
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
if your in a DP they sell locks to lock the air brakes on which would make it more difficult to steal or tow
But what about electric brakes is there a device to lock those while not in use?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #49

FTd fr 7 yrs.....
Had FTrs insurance .........FULL Coverage PLUS 'agreed value replacement'

Traveled weekly using secondary/back roads thru small town USA

Parked our HOME in CG and then went exploring the local area DAILY sunup/sunset

What I found that was easier then any extra locks/security measures etc was to ENGAGE with the 'neighbors'
After setting up make the effort to go and say Howdy. Let them know you/about you and that you are willing to help.
Makes them feel 'committed'....I'll look after your stuff/you look after my stuff

Guess what.....THEY DID.
Just like neighbors in S&B neighborhood. ENGAGE/be friendly/CARE about others and it will come back to you 10X

I would rather have 'neighbors' looking out then to find out TOW truck hooked up and dragged the rig away and folks didn't blink

FTng opened our eyes...........there are LOTS of really good people out there.
If one puts as much effort into 'others' as they do into WHAT IFs the what ifs are minimized.

NOTHING went missing unless I just forgot to pack it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
But what about electric brakes is there a device to lock those while not in use?
YEAH..a chain wrapped thru wheels and locked

Electric brakes ONLY engage when ENERGIZED and ROTATING

ENERGIZED would run battery down and damage the MAGNETS

Just pull the Emergency Brake Away Switch pin out...
Full battery voltage will be applied to magnets.
Then check how HOT they are couple hours later IF battery still has any voltage left
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #51

I really cant imagine the rv getting stolen from a campground. More likely while parked at a hotel, shopping, sightseeing or from your driveway.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 PM   #52
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you want security, read this post. The OP found an alarm system that doesn't rely on the internet to work.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29349872.cfm
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, vent