Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Removing Mold on Diamond Shield

Hey everyone, Good morning, eanted to ask if any one has A (proven procedure to remove Mold, Mildew from Diamond Shield) that works without harming the paint.

Removing this film is obviously a time consuming ritual I want to skip.

Thank you
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Isn’t the mold under the film? That is the way it looks on mine. removal seems the only way. If on outside of film, simple bleach would remove it.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
NXR

Yes, underneath. Some people have started companies to remove the Mold Shield: https://uglyshieldremoval.com/

Ray
Old 09-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
The safest way is to pay a professional, but even with that, there is always a chance of paint damage. I have seen the work of a company in Ft Myers called Ugly Shield Removal. I am going to have them remove mine. It is around $1000 depending on the install area. I helped a friend remove his and it was a messy and time consuming job, never again.

The most common way to remove is a scraper and heat using a heat gun or steamer. Then when the plastic is off, they use a chemical and scraper to remove the glue. Not hard, just messy and alot of scraping and cleaning with solvent. Ugly Shield has multiple videos on how too, just google.
Popsf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If your question is is there a way to remove only the “mold”, the answer is no. The DS itself has to come off.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #6

DIY Diamond Shield removal success!
My 08 Dynaquest 34XL had a bad case of DS cracking and adhesive mold growth on the hood and fenders. Unable to find a competent individual to remove it and unwilling to make the long trek to Fort Meyers FL to the
"Ugly Shield expert" I decided to tackle removal.
Outcome - not hard, just time consuming, spent about 12 hours and results were spectacular. Absolutely no paint damage. So if your in the same situation let me encourage you. I watched the you tube removal videos, but used the Wagner steamer (not heat gun) to remove the film, bought a gallon of ugly juice remover (tried others- no good). This stuff is fantastic for removing the glue residue. Plastic scrappers came from Amazon (Eastwood brand), and plastic razor blades for final detail cleanup.
Pictures show the coverage area and cracking.
This is posted for encouragement for those willing to try it
Mike34XL is offline   Reply With Quote