Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
Hi Al I have removed the carpet that was not to bad it did not have a lot of staples .The hard part was removing the the hard wood in the kitchen when they made the coach all the carpet and wood floors are down and then they put in counters ect. So I had to cut the carpet and wood floor around the counters. As for the slide I removed all three inside rails the top and both sides moved the slide all the way out and put a 2x12 under the slide close to the coach on the out side and used my Airplane jacks to put under the 2x12 and jack it up the top will exit the coach and you have plenty of room under the slide to remove carpet and staples I am waiting on my flooring come in should be here on Tue. So far it has been fun. I think if I can build a Airplane out of wood get in and fly it I can replace the flooring I hope.
When you said the top will exit the coach what did you mean, the slide came out of the coach? what about the slide rails and motor?
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12 View Post
When you said the top will exit the coach what did you mean, the slide came out of the coach? what about the slide rails and motor?
The top will exit the coach about 2 in be careful with the rubber seal at top mine has hydraulic rams that move the slide I took them loose but I dont think that I needed to. You might have to loosen bolts so it can tilt? Hope this helps.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #17

There is some good info here, yes he primarily does installs of wood floors, but he also has a forum with some great info about doing it your self, and is very good about answering questions for do-it-yourself folks. Good luck, hope you'll post some pics when you get done.
JT
tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #18

Pretty much everyone has told you the process. It's truly not hard, and if you have a good helper you can probably crank out the entire project in one weekend.

A previous poster is correct about working around or removing cabinets, booths, etc. that are attached to floor I chose not to remove things because 1) didn't want to expend that energy (lol), and 2) didn't want to create new creaks or damage where there weren't any. So I installed thin pieces of quarter-round trim to tidy-up around the "permanent" RV items. Also put a larger piece of trim where the main floor jumped up to the front seat platform. (I sprayed the quarter-round w/ marine varnish, btw.) At the top of the stairwell I installed a 1" aluminum threshold around the edges.

One thing I did spend extra energy (and money) on was installing sound-deadening material before installing the new flooring. I knew that removing the carpet would increase road noise. The sound-deadening material also covered very minor imperfections on plywood subfloor -- larger imperfections will still need attention.

Have fun with this project! And share some pics of your progress and final handiwork IMO pretty much anything is better than old fugly carpet in an RV, especially when that carpeting also extends into the bathroom as mine did! :-)

Here's a pic of my flooring from couple years ago before completely finishing the project. And as you'll likely notice, I put the flooring on a diagonal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-490569922.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	28962  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
I have installed the Allure Ultra in my coach. We love it but would recommend using Super Glue on the narrow end of the planks IF you live in a cold climate and do not keep the unit in a heated storage unit. Last year we lifted part of the floor where the planks had separated and glued them together. This fall I checked I in the coach and the separations have just moved to a different non glued area. I will be lifting the whole floor this coming spring and gluing all of the narrow ends of the planks together. When the floor survives a full winter I will start to install the finish trim. The separation cracks are over a 1/4" at times and totally unacceptable to me and the wife. I do have to do this slowly due to my muscular dystrophy and not having the stamina to bang out the job. It takes a day to glue and re-lay one strip of flooring so I will allow two or three weeks to do the job this Spring. Good luck and enjoy the new look and easier up-keep. Ed
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
I have installed the Allure Ultra in my coach. We love it but would recommend using Super Glue on the narrow end of the planks. Ed
I thought the Ultra had interlock tabs. Are you saying the tabs separate?
This is my concern with Allure. The specs don't cover a wide temperature range like RV's have to endure.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
I thought the Ultra had interlock tabs. Are you saying the tabs separate?
This is my concern with Allure. The specs don't cover a wide temperature range like RV's have to endure.
Yes, mine have unlocked, that is why I am going to glue all of the narrow tabs. I also did not allow enough clearance around the floor registers. I do not regret installing it and my wife loves it. I just wish I had glued it right from the start.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am thinking of doing the same to my Bounder, not sure about the slide though so I will have to take a closer look at that. Your job looks great, thanks for the posting.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Well I just finished the install of the ultra allure flooring it was pretty easy the hard part was installing the trim. We are getting all upholstery done in ultra leather should be like new when done. Here are some pictures. Thanks for all the help and info I would not have done this without this site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	29665  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
One more picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	29666  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Super job.......looks great Don!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Don that looks amazing!
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Question

Okay folks I have read all of your comments regarding the flooring and I am pumped about doing the floors in my DP. My question is regarding the entry steps on my unit, the steps move to create a floor under the front passengers feet. I have been told that I can not place flooring on the entry steps. Please tell me if this is true and give me any ideas you may have on upgrading the entry area of my coach. I love the finished look of the flooring in the entry but if it will not work I would like to atlest upgrade it in some way. THANKS
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #28
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEGEE1997 View Post
Okay folks I have read all of your comments regarding the flooring and I am pumped about doing the floors in my DP. My question is regarding the entry steps on my unit, the steps move to create a floor under the front passengers feet. I have been told that I can not place flooring on the entry steps. Please tell me if this is true and give me any ideas you may have on upgrading the entry area of my coach. I love the finished look of the flooring in the entry but if it will not work I would like to atlest upgrade it in some way. THANKS
TEEGEE I don't know about your steps but you can get alure with out the backing it is about 1/8 in thick you might remove the backing on the ultra alure, to make 1/8 in not sure how that will work.