Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Removing wheel covers?

First time motor home owner here with a new 2017 Winnebago Vista/Sunstar 29VE. I am getting to know my motorhome and am trying to figure out how to remove the chrome wheel covers to get better access to the air valves to add air to the tires which seem to be under inflated. During the walk through at the dealer I was shown a tool that was to be used to remove the wheel covers. On 2 of the lug nut covers there is a dimple. He said use the tool to remove those 2 covers. I actually tried to remove a wheel cover this morning and am having no luck at all. this tool seems to be a stamped metal socket spot welded to a T handle. This implies to me that you would insert the tool over the lug nut and turn the T handle to remove the nut cover. The other implication is that thes nut covers should not be very tight given the flimsy tool provided to remove them. However, it will not budge and I am afraid I will break the tool if I apply any more pressure. I think I probably have a socket that will fit it but I just want to make sure I am doing it right before proceeding.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
First time motor home owner here with a new 2017 Winnebago Vista/Sunstar 29VE. I am getting to know my motorhome and am trying to figure out how to remove the chrome wheel covers to get better access to the air valves to add air to the tires which seem to be under inflated. During the walk through at the dealer I was shown a tool that was to be used to remove the wheel covers. On 2 of the lug nut covers there is a dimple. He said use the tool to remove those 2 covers. I actually tried to remove a wheel cover this morning and am having no luck at all. this tool seems to be a stamped metal socket spot welded to a T handle. This implies to me that you would insert the tool over the lug nut and turn the T handle to remove the nut cover. The other implication is that thes nut covers should not be very tight given the flimsy tool provided to remove them. However, it will not budge and I am afraid I will break the tool if I apply any more pressure. I think I probably have a socket that will fit it but I just want to make sure I am doing it right before proceeding.
You have the right tool and you are using the correct method. In reality the nuts were probably tightened by either a normal socket and ratchet assembly or an air wrench.

We had the same setup on our 2001 Adventurer. Like you we found the included wrench was woefully inadequate for the job. To remove the nut the first time I used a vise grip pliers over the socket end of the supplied wrench. Once the nut was loose I took it to a local farm supply store that handled tools and matched it up to a 1/2" drive socket (can't remember the size). I used it on a ratchet to remove the remaining nuts. I kept the socket and a cheap ratchet in the motorhome tool box for future reference.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #3

The ones with the dimple are the two on each wheel you remove. Straight across from each other. I use a socket. They do have a tendency to get some rust under them and makes them hard to turn. I gave up on the t-hadle
Old 11-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I did manage to get one of the eight lugs off, so I learned a lot there. Best I can tell it is a 1 1/8" nut. The largest I have is a 1". I will take it to an auto parts store and get the right size socket and I think I will be good to go. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

When you reinstall them, put anti-size on the threads and the nuts will come off much easier next time. Better yet, put valve stem extenders on all wheels and you won't have to take off the chrome covers.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
When you reinstall them, put anti-size on the threads and the nuts will come off much easier next time. Better yet, put valve stem extenders on all wheels and you won't have to take off the chrome covers.
Or, you can eliminate the problem all together and leave them off. That allows more airflow through the wheels to cool the brakes, easier access to check tire pressure, and the ability to spot oil leaks and loose lugnuts before they become a problem. Mine never left the dealership lot.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ah but you have missed the best and only reason to leave them on. They just look cool!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
...There are 10 types of people... Those that understand binary and those that don't...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote