Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

Renew of old topic, shower faucet

It's been awhile since I posted on this subject and I can't find the original.
I will attach a pic. I have a leak behind the faucet handles which attach to a plate like thing which has a hard plastic seal of sorts.
How in the heck do I remove this part of the faucet.
As you can see there are 4 button covers with torque screws which attach to something behind the wall. If I remove those 4 screws, what will I find, water lines I'm thinking and what else. Will I be in for a Unwanted surprise?
There is NO access behind the wall. I pulled on the handles a little but they seem not to want to move, hoping they would and I could see what is going on.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	246311  
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Cut the caulk. Remove the 4 screws and gently pull the faucet out. You should be able to reach in and loosen the connecting fittings to the plumbing. Once you have both of those loose the faucet comes off. Of course turn the water pump and shore water off first. You might even want to open the low point drains so there's no water in the lines.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

That is a surface mount faucet. Remove the 4 screws and you will have the whole thing in your hand. Turn off the water first. No need to open drain lines. Just turn off the water and turn on the faucet. lay the shower head on the floor. Pull it away from the wall. Once loose you can turn the faucet off and turn the water back on and see where it is leaking from. Water lines might be loose and just need tighting. Maybe a new washer.

If you need to access the valves you remove the screw cover on the handle elbows to remove the handles..
Old 05-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

Larry-

Is the monitor panel (the black one with the switches and tank level display) on the wall outside the bathroom? If so, you can remove it and get access to the back of the shower faucet, including the pipe joints.

Have a towel ready to cushion the monitor panel while it is out. Otherwise, it can scratch the fake-wood wall.

The faucet handles are attached with setscrews. The plastic cover under them snaps off. That lets you see the piping on that side. There are pictures on another thread of the whole assembly. I can't get the link right now, though. Maybe tomorrow.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #5

Oh, ok you guys. Thanks. Good info for me to go on. Thanks a lot.
Hi Mark. Sure. I will take anything you have for me. I appreciate that for sure.
Have a Good One.
P.S. Yes, my monitor panel is where you said Mark.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

Thanks gang. That was easy enough. And their is an 90 degree elbow for both hot and cold water. It sure is a cheap piece for sure. I will replace it with something nice. Again, thanks for the help. Now I am a RV plumber, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShowerFaucet.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	246454  
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

I would like to see some kind of pressure balancing valve in there to keep the shower temperature from changing while showering.
dirt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

Hi Kevin. Pressure balancing valve. Would that be an addon or can you get a faucet with that built in? I will google it and see what I am looking at.
We haven't had a problem with that, but seems like a good idea.
Thank you.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #9

Larry-

See this Web page:

http://www.wouxun.us/Bounder/RV-Shower-Upgrade.pdf

There are a few iRV2 posts on this rod-like temperature control valve. I would look them up for you, but that's awkward on this iPad. One fellow used a smaller plate made of white cutting board. If you search for the faucet manufacturer you may get some posts in the results.

I found two more-expensive versions of the valve, made by Grohe. Either may have advantages over the lookalikes- or not.

I plan on putting this on my possible projects list. Not too happy about drilling two new holes in the shower wall, though. I usually like to be able to go back to factory-condition, if I can, after a modification.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #10

Thanks Mark.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #11

All new residential shower faucets are pressure balancing and we did look at a Vectra that had a Moen shower faucet in it.
dirt40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower