Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #1

Renovations/Upgrades vs. Buying New

Folks,

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S and I am scratching my head about buying a brand new Newmar Dutch Star 4369 a couple years down the road or weighing the option of dropping some money into my '06 Discovery and hopefully run it another 10+ years.

My Discovery is in excellent condition and it only has 45,000 miles. Not sure how long the EPM rubber roofs last but I'm thinking that will need to be replaced down the road. I have not had any leaks and I am very good at staying on top of the roof maintenance. Just thinking the roof will need to be replaced at some point down the road and when I do that I'd have 2 new roof top AC units installed as well.

I am very happy with my Discovery and the 2006 model year is solid. I have stayed on top of all necessary repairs so it is in tip top shape. Exterior is in great shape and many people think it's a coach that is only a couple of years old.

Overall aside from replacing the roof and roof top AC units I'd probably have the exterior compartments painted which is showing a bit of rust and some other very minor paint touchup work done. May also consider replacing the TV's and do some other interior upgrades possibly carpet/tile replacement and maybe some minor upholstery work. The interior really is in top notch shape considering my coach is 13 years old and I'd only be looking at some minor interior upgrades.

What I'd really need some advice on is; is it worth while spending maybe $50,000 on a roof replacement, AC upgrades, minor paint work and some other upgrades and run my rig another 10 plus years or should I consider putting the money towards the purchase of a new coach?

Regarding renovations I'd also appreciate some recommendations on some excellent companies that would do the type of work I'm looking for at a competitive price.

As of now we are not full timers but use our coach quite a bit during the 7/8 month camping season and hope to be full timers within the next 8 years or so. My guess is that we will be motorhoming the next 20+ years and we already have 23 years of the lifestyle under our belt.

I'd really appreciate any comments/advice you can provide me on my renovation vs. buying new decision.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #2

If the roof is fine, then it is fine.
I wouldn't spend on a new one till it's not so fine.
If you like your RV, you have already suffered the majority of the depreciation (but it will continue downward), you might want to just keep it going.
If you buy a new one, you will immediately suffer the largest depreciation period.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #3

A Brand New coach will come with all the latest bells and whistles. I have heard that the Comfort Drive on the Newmar Diesels is worth the upgrade. I can't attest to that, since I have one of their gas coaches. Newmar is on the higher end of coach builders. Their Customer Support is top of the line. Many people are impressed by their attention to detail. Also, buying new, gives you the opportunity to order Specials. I like the floor plan, but I really want ...... Since your coach is built for you, you can sit down with them and see what changes they will make (for a fee of course). Also, the Factory Pickup option is great. When your coach is ready, you come to The Newmar factory for pick up. The roll your coach out, and you are given a very detailed tour, every function, switch, button are demonstrated and explained. I believe they are 5 days long. You are assigned a Service Tech. He is dedicated to you. You stay in your coach at night and try it out. If you find anything that needs to be corrected, they will take your coach back into the factory to have it corrected. When you are satisfied, you roll out of Newmar with a coach that you feel comfortable with.

OK, so enough about the good stuff. Buying a new coach, you will take a substantial hit in depreciation, just about the time you sign the paperwork. If you don't do the factory pickup, there will be things that need to be corrected. You will have to learn about all the new stuff, Bells, Buttons and gadgets. The advances in coaches (some good and some bad) will needs to be learned.

But, man, what a ride!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

I'd say, Drive the one you have until the wheels fall off... that is the only way you win with a Vehicle! Saying that Not only is the new one going to cost a bunch of money and depending on size and options it only goes up.... then, you have as mentioned the immediate depreciation.... but, One more thing... "Sales and Use Tax" along with increased insurance rates will shock you....

If the one you have has been taken care of and you can find a good place to fix what you need and a few upgrades that will probably cost you less than what the sales tax and depreciation will cost you on a new one....

I'd start by getting quotes from folks on the work that is needed to be done... I think you will be far ahead of buying new (even used) if your happy with your current coach... Make it like you want it and keep on Trucking!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am the guy that will never buy cars RVs boats or anything like this new. I can always find what I want that is a couple of years old at a much lower price. The MH I have now is an 05 that new sold for $153k and in Jan. of 06 I paid $95k for it with 12k miles on it. There are people that buy new every couple of years and the one I bought he bought a new one every year.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you handy to do repairs or upgrades, paying someone can be not such a good idea unless you find that "guy"....

reseal or re coat roof , change vents and AC units... I cant see that being more than a few grand done professionally..

Mechanically,, have a good guy, look at it , really look for things that will wear or need fixin.... If there is a question, fix it now and you are good for 10 years..
I have done this on 2 rvs.. radiator, hoses, water pump etc,, complete brakes, calipers, suspension, shocks etc...
actually on my old RV, I did it at 130K and then again at 177, it is at almost 200K and i would drive it anywhere... I also gutted the inside and redid it all.. got almost 10 years into it now and it it is a good starter RV, weekend warrior for the next guy.

My new to me older Class C I got had 32K on it,, Resealed roof, did complete cooling, I have brakes at shop waiting to end season. Replaced exhaust and complete tune up.. fresh batteries, redid electricals to up date genny and inverter with transfer switch etc.
I did TV's and lighting to led...
I will be updating inside a bit more, flooring, get rid of dated mirrors, and maybe wall covering in a few spots, adding new back up cameras and stuff this weekend..

Granted I am the labor saver and enjoy tinkering... but this older Minie Winnie will get me atleast 8-10 years and have all the updates i need,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
NXR

Do the math if you haven't already. RV Trader asking price minus 15% + $50,000. Then subtract that from the price of a new one.

Then factor in the price of new tires (which will be deferred for up to five years with a new coach) plus your usual non-warranty maintenance costs (including suspension pieces-parts) and add them to that $50,000 figure.

Also factor in your age. If you buy new or newer and you're older, you may never have to pay it off, just make the monthly payments (although I would consider that for a house I would not personally do it for a motorhome).

We did that math when we purchased our current coach, our first Class A, and decided to buy new. There are just so many maintenance and "worn out" issues we do not have to deal with yet. Sure, we've had the usual first-year problems and will have some for another nine months. But almost all were discovered on our 3-day PDI at the dealer so there weren't any on-the-road surprises. Yet.

45,000 miles isn't a lot but you're also coming up on 14 years of wear. and heat/cold related issues. One tree branch can cause a roof problem with EPDM (if that's what you have). I prefer our fiberglass roof.

Ray
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't spend $50k on a 2006 Discovery, but it shouldn't need that kind of upgrades either. The TPO roof, for example, should not need replacing now or even in the next 5-10 years. Just keep up the maintenance on the caulking.

Since you like the coach, I would consider spending $15k-$20k on remodeling and driving another 10 years or more.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I wouldn't spend $50k on a 2006 Discovery, but it shouldn't need that kind of upgrades either. The TPO roof, for example, should not need replacing now or even in the next 5-10 years. Just keep up the maintenance on the caulking.

Since you like the coach, I would consider spending $15k-$20k on remodeling and driving another 10 years or more.
I agree completely. Maintenance and familiarity with your rig are key to enjoying your travels for years.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #10

Folks,

Thanks so much for your comments on my renovate/update vs. buy new.

Don't think I'd spend anywhere near $50,000 on renovations/upgrades. As I mentioned my Coach is in excellent shape and aside from some minor renovations and some updates/upgrades it should last for many many years. The roof is in excellent condition and based on comments made it sound last for many years to come as well.

Feel free to continue to provide me with any advice you might have.

Appreciate everyone's comments thus far.

Regards,

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #11

What impact would the new Dutch Star have on your budget?? Our last several coaches were new and paid off in 4 years or less, so they did not affect our lifestyle or retirement. The Dutch Star would be a major upgrade from your current MH. If you could swing it without tying yourself down with long term payments, go for it and enjoy the experience of a great coach. They are at or near to top of the quality motorhomes. Excluding Newmar, Prevost, Foretravel, etc. If, however, you would be making many years of monthly payments, then upgrade what you have. The last thing any of us need are monthly payments on a depreciating asset in our later years. The view will be the same in either coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #12

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
What I'd really need some advice on is; is it worth while spending maybe $50,000 on a roof replacement, AC upgrades, minor paint work and some other upgrades and run my rig another 10 plus years or should I consider putting the money towards the purchase of a new coach?
You will loose more than $50K as soon as you drive your new DP off of the Dealers lot.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Others have mentioned the instant depreciation so I won't pile on that. It seems like many, if not most of the folks who have been happy with their coaches but traded up to new, have been deeply disappointed. A wasted couple years to shake all the bugs out. Newer engines with the new regulations which can be finicky. Etc. Getting bright and shiny is tempting but I would pass and put a few bucks in your current rig. A couple guys who have sold and bought new on here might share their experiences, or should I say horror stories. Also, I wonder how the acquisition is going to affect things like quality. Best of luck which ever way you go.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

Very good advise Gary.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, upgrade