Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
We seriously considered purchasing a site... looked at Table Rock RV Resort and Sunny Brook in Michigan... Then we thought if we're going to purchase a fixed location we might as well sell the coach and get a "Park Unit" and not incur the expenses associated with the coach... Then we remembered why we have the coach... we like to wander...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #30

I agree with the wandering part. It's just that in Jan. thru March there's not many places I want to wander to. I just heard a horror story from my brother as he wandered down to Texas a couple of weeks ago. Not a pretty tale. What we would use this for is winter time, not year round.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Second Home write off NO NO NO. Can't do it unless it is livable with complete amenities, Last time I checked a plot (parking space) of land self containable like your MH, which can be written off on taxes for second home.

I know all of the lawyers will chime up here pretty quickly
That is why I said to check with an accountant. Let me tell you what I know about taxes. My wife is an attorney and every year she says sign here dear and I do. I think I understand the laws on tax issues but my advice always carries a check with an accountant clause.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #32

The lots have coach houses with full baths, power. ac etc. Could be considered a dwelling for tax purposes? I've stayed in worse.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
The lots have coach houses with full baths, power. ac etc. Could be considered a dwelling for tax purposes? I've stayed in worse.
We had a boat that we could write off just the interest on the loan as as second home. It needed to have a bath, place to sleep and a way to cook meals. Your coach house may qualify it has all those but I would ask a tax professional first.

Back to buy or rent. We currently rent our site for the winter in the Keys. Yes, the weather is the best in the continental U.S. right now so the $2K plus a month is worth it. What we fear is the park could be snapped up, bulldozed and sold to a developer to build condos. This can't happen to a park with private owned lots. Our site is ocean front so a similar private owned site is out of our price range but there are some in parks with water access that we could do...maybe. But then why not look for a condo or even a house? It is a tough decision.

Another consideration is that in some of these CGs since you own, you can build a structure. These "homes" are something like 10'X50' or whatever fits and two stories high. They look ridiculous to me. Imagine having your MH between two of them. Like being in a cave.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
This is a personal decision that has to be based on your likes and expectations.

Firstly, I don't agree that just the fact that there are lots for sale mean there is something wrong. Given our demographic (the exceptionally experienced ) there is a natural turnover as physical limitations eventually make RV travel or living away from immediate family difficult to impossible. I also think some inventory has built up due to the economic challenges of the last several years. That can be to your advantage. We just bought a lot from a couple very motivated to sell, due to health issues, for 1/2 of what they had in it.

Rents here are 1/3 of what you quote, but that's just one of the reasons we're here and not there. Quarterly maintenance fees are also a third of those you quoted, and I suspect the taxes are less than that. But that simply reflects the market where we are vs where you are, nothing more.

At our age, the lifestyle potential is worth more than the investment possibilities. Those that simply want to add the sales price and carrying costs up to measure against rents are missing at least two points, in my opinion. One, rents (and prices) will increase as demand does (the forward edge of the baby boomer generation are just getting to Medicare age). Two, you'll get a significant portion of that back, should you ever decide to sell, even if you don't "make money" on the transaction.

We now own two lots, one here in Florida and one farther north on a big beautiful lake. In both cases if we use the lot for only three months we're about on par with what three months of rent would have cost us. Our Florida lot has a history of being rented out every year for 4 to six months. If there's ever a year we decide to winter out west, as example, we'll not only get our carrying costs back, we'll be a bit ahead. In the meantime, we're guaranteed we'll always have a place to park in an area we love, near friends. We are not letting the fact that we own lots hold us back from our travel plans either. We'll be spending a few months on the left side of the great USA this calendar year.

Points well taken, Us boomers (and lots of younger folks too) have bought rv's lately and sales seem to be better now than at almost any point before '08. The only thing I hav'nt heard is how lot purchases/leases are going...has anybody taken that pulse recently?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #35

You can look at camping clubs like western horizon, thousand trails , resorts of distiation. That's what we do.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #36

Some rent, some buy, we wander. Each to their own!

After being in a park for a month or more, the neighbors that we have had great times with will ask if we have reserved the same spot for next year. When we say we wont, many look at us like we have 3 heads!
We may return to the same RV park every few years, which is more than enough. There are so many more places abd faces to see!

We ride the Rainbow, and the Journey is our Destination. Being in the same place each season for an extended period would simply not be an adventure for us.

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #37

We made an offer there a couple years ago...Pelican?... glad they didn't take it. We could only be there Jan thru March so for 3 months rent, that covers dues and taxes. The other months they just don't rent. We own at Hearthside, but that's our summer home base from May til Oct. It never makes $en$e.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is another thought. We also discussed the idea of buying farther north in Florida. The prices are much less. Then only use it from Oct. to Jan. and April until whenever it gets nice in NY. For the busy season of Jan to March rent the site out then go to the Keys as usual. The rent might be enough to subsidize some our rent in the Keys and/or cover HOA fees.

I figure there are people that are not so adamant about being in 80° weather as I am and would love to get a nice site for a reasonable cost for the busy winter season. With some luck we could get renters in the summer months. Kind of a pipe dream for us so far but who knows. Has anyone done something similar?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote