Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm stuck between sell or rent. I bought an 2009 Winnebago Chalet in 201, drove it from Alaska to Ohio to Florida and back to Ohio. Immediately bought a 2009 Safari Cheetah to over come some of the Chalet's shortcomings.

Added a garage to the house to store the Cheetah. Loaned the Chalet to my friend who used it for 2 years, improved it and maintained and stored it.

Well friend just purchased a Class A, now I have the Chalet back. Hate to sell it but also don't want it just sitting on some storage lot covered and getting that, no one has been in here in 2 years smell. At least being used the everything stays lubed and exercised.

If family would use it enough I wouldn't mind setting it up in a park somewhere for them but I think when the newness of hanging out with the mosquitos wore off I'd be back to storing it.

In addition to delivery and set up I think I would handing the tanks as well to avoid the mound of dried poo issue.

Ill keep following this thread and go to school on what you guys have done.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #44

WeatherTood, thanks for the clarifications.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
You never will make enough after paying the rental agent fees, increased insurance, accelerated maintenance, and damage repairs to make a rental program worthwhile. Only the leasing agent makes out on the deal-using up your asset. If your rig is too costly for you sell it and rent someone else's. don't rent yours!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
You never will make enough after paying the rental agent fees, increased insurance, accelerated maintenance, and damage repairs to make a rental program worthwhile. Only the leasing agent makes out on the deal-using up your asset. If your rig is too costly for you sell it and rent someone else's. don't rent yours!
Couple questions:
1) Why did you decide to go with an agent?
2) Was the agent fee a fixed fee or a percentage of each rental
3) Did you simply increase existing insurance coverage values or have a new policy written, if new policy how did you identify the type of policy and coverage values?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by npx84 View Post
I will not rent our DP, but I did buy an old 70s vintage Class A just for renting out. I rent it to music fest goers. I take it to the site, set it up, and retrieve it when the fest is over. Only have a couple thousand invested, and get $500 per weekend when it is out. I also have a pop up that I bought last fall that will be part of the "fleet" as well.
I'm curious how you (and WeatherTodd) advertise you're used RV's for rental? Craigslist? Outdoorsy? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGeek View Post
I'm curious how you (and WeatherTodd) advertise you're used RV's for rental? Craigslist? Outdoorsy? Thanks.
I actually use RVShare. Outdoorsy has awesome 1 million dollar insurance but not enough customers. RVShare has a larger renter base. On a good month I will make about 3,000. Only thing is private owners have a disadvantage because RV Companies use the same company. Newer campers at a great rate. So far for this year on a 5th wheel I have rented it 7 times. The pull behind about 14 times. The popup about 9 times and I'm still working on my class A getting it repaired and ready.
mcarden75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #49

LARRIKIN said it best in my opinion.....Momcat
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
you know this how? Who pays a rental agent anything? RV share is a peer to peer rental service. No need for some clueless "agent". Now if you want to be "hands off"... then renting is not for you.

You calling an "RV" an asset is hilarious. Maybe a "pain in the ASSet".

But please...enlighten us how to be profitable by relying on "others"
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarden75 View Post
I actually use RVShare. Outdoorsy has awesome 1 million dollar insurance but not enough customers. RVShare has a larger renter base. On a good month I will make about 3,000. Only thing is private owners have a disadvantage because RV Companies use the same company. Newer campers at a great rate. So far for this year on a 5th wheel I have rented it 7 times. The pull behind about 14 times. The popup about 9 times and I'm still working on my class A getting it repaired and ready.
yes I noticed this BUT only in Class Cs. They do not have enough class As to cover the market. 5th wheels & towables also limit renters as well.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
LARRIKIN said it best in my opinion.....Momcat
he didn't say anything useful. Ive heard people like him tell me that for years.
My first "rental" was my own place. All the naysayers promised I was going to be sued and foreclosed AFTER serving 20 years in prison for not using a "real estate" professional.

Guess what? Id bet my portfolio of rentals I know more about real estate than any broker or so called "pro".

Honestly you folks dont realize that peer to peer rentals is how folks get into the RV hobby. Do millenials buy cars? Nope... they uber/lyft or zipcar.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Renting my Motorhome

I actually considered renting my motorhome before I sold it. So happy I didn't. My hoar-story is regarding a company, Outdoorsy.com, whose business is to supposedly connect renters to owners. Curious to know how much I could rent my unit for, I contacted them and asked. Before they could tell me, they wanted to know all about my unit, pictures and more. Thinking that would be harmless, I complied. That was last October, I have since sold my MH, told them so, and asked to opt out (I never actually opted in!) but they continue to email me new renters. All my efforts so far to get them to quit contacting me are in vain.

It's not costing me anything, but it's annoying. Just letting everyone know these people appear to be a scam-- using my MH info to attract renters to their site for the purpose of clicks to make money from advertisers- that's all. My warning is never contact Outdoorsy.com, they are a bad bunch. If you know people considering renting their units, do it locally with people you know. Outdoorsy.com is a farce. Never contact Outdoorsy.com.
jims55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims55 View Post
My hoar-story is regarding a company, Outdoorsy.com, whose business is to I have since sold my MH, told them so, and asked to opt out (I never actually opted in!) but they continue to email me new renters. All my efforts so far to get them to quit contacting me are in vain.

Have you tried calling or chatting with them? There's tens of thousands (millions?) of people that have used Outdoorsy (myself included) and have had nothing but positive experiences. I don't think the company is a scam based on that evidence and I'd be surprised if you called them and told them that you have sold your unit that they would continue to list it.

A scam would be someone who takes peoples money for one thing and then not delivering the promised item. This doesn't sound like that.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
Have you tried calling or chatting with them? There's tens of thousands (millions?) of people that have used Outdoorsy (myself included) and have had nothing but positive experiences. I don't think the company is a scam based on that evidence and I'd be surprised if you called them and told them that you have sold your unit that they would continue to list it.

A scam would be someone who takes peoples money for one thing and then not delivering the promised item. This doesn't sound like that.
Could be worse as a Scam is over after they get your money, but this just keeps going, and going, and going, with no recourse. It sometimes makes you want to find out who these people are, and chase them down and give them some memory juice.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #56

Outdoorsy is totally legit, you have an unsubscribe at the very bottom of every email they send out. Just FYI. 👍
ChiefGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome