Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Do you want to rent out your wife? Hummmmm
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to state anything everyone else has stated...DON'T Why on earth would you? Nobody will treat your RV like you would. This goes directly in-line with car rentals. ABUSE, ABUSE, ABUSE. If you do, ask what are the maintenance costs they cover? What else will they cover? One thing I can guaranty, They wouldn't fix your RV after damage. IT always comes down to word against word. NO...... My 2 cents
Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #31

Reminds me of a sign I once saw on an aircraft mechanics tool box. "I value these tools as much as you value your wife. So if you don't ask to borrow my tools, I won't ask to borrow your wife!"

Also:

Question: What kind of car goes ANYWHERE?
Answer: A RENTAL CAR! (substitute "Class A" for "car")

If someone wants to rent my coach, they can pay me, in cash, the cost of a brand new Newmar Dutch Star. When they return my coach, I will return their cash, minus whatever I feel was needed to pay for cleaning/damages/repairs necessary. If they feel that is unreasonable, don't rent it from me!

The potential for loss is WAY to great to off-set the potential for gain from renting in my opinion!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #32

With a rental car, I always assumed that a speed bump was a signal to accelerate
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Another point of view...

I'm one of those people who is dying to rent a very nice Class A, because we want to make sure one will work with our future plans (I'm talking 45' with tag, DP, etc). We're very fanatical about our home and vehicles, too.

I'm hearing the common complaint of "things got broken/damaged/came back dirty" There are a couple of key things to stop or sharply reduce that being an issue.
  • Mandatory walk through of all systems with sign off (You didn't just jump in and drive away when you got your unit, did you?)
  • Reference book with instructions on operating all systems (Can you remember how to turn on the Aquahot heating after only using it in summer?)
  • Requiring them to provide you with a rider on their insurance company.
  • Require a minimum number of days for at least the first rental

We had to provide a credit card imprint and sign a statement that we authorize them to charge us for any repair, including transportation charges, for anything that was damaged due to missuse. Note that some things will inevitably break during a renters use (they break when you use your coach, right?), you just need clear wording that takes out the "I don't give a damn" aspect out of it.

I really wish we could develop a (trusted) relationship with a nice Class A owner who realizes we'd treat their coach as well, if not better than they do...and pay them for the privilege to use it. I'm I guaranteeing them there won't be an accident or that something won't break while under my care? No, but I'm promising I'll take responsibility for it (If it's my fault).

There's clearly a universe of some owners who don't want anyone else in their coach, and I respect that. But I really believe there are others that find it very beneficial ~ especially if they gain a "frequent, known renter" who may evolve to be the one that purchases their coach down the line!

Just my thoughts...
Mark
Rent one from one of these two OR buy your own:

RVshare: RV Rentals, Motorhome Rentals, Class A, Class B, Class C

https://www.outdoorsy.co
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Do you want to rent out your wife? Hummmmm

Everyone has a price. :-)
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
DW wants to sleep in her own filth hence our RV. Hotels disgusts her and to let others sleep in her bed is unacceptable!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #36
Dad

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Most of the concerns expressed are the same I have. I have let friends borrow it and have had no issue. But I know they will take care of it.
Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
2001 Monaco Dip would like to rent it to keep up with Maintenance costs and pay some of it off. Two sites I know of are:

RVshare: RV Rentals, Motorhome Rentals, Class A, Class B, Class C

https://www.outdoorsy.co

The FMCA just sent out a thing on rvshare and recommended it. The outdoorsy has an app.

So does anyone do it on this board and how did it go for you. I understand all the insurance stuff. I just wanted to hear from people before I jump in. We only use our unit maybe 4 weeks out of the year.

Brings a whole new meaning to "Pimp your ride"! I would rather pimp out my sister than my coach. Oh wait, I don't have a sister.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the only way I could afford it was to rent it out, I would not own one. I would rent one.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Classic !!!
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I think the FMCA officers that approved that email going out about renting out your RV should rent theirs out for a while, and then do an article on just how it all worked out for THEM.
AMEN!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Another point of view...

I'm one of those people who is dying to rent a very nice Class A, because we want to make sure one will work with our future plans (I'm talking 45' with tag, DP, etc). We're very fanatical about our home and vehicles, too.

I'm hearing the common complaint of "things got broken/damaged/came back dirty" There are a couple of key things to stop or sharply reduce that being an issue.
  • Mandatory walk through of all systems with sign off (You didn't just jump in and drive away when you got your unit, did you?)
  • Reference book with instructions on operating all systems (Can you remember how to turn on the Aquahot heating after only using it in summer?)
  • Requiring them to provide you with a rider on their insurance company.
  • Require a minimum number of days for at least the first rental

We had to provide a credit card imprint and sign a statement that we authorize them to charge us for any repair, including transportation charges, for anything that was damaged due to missuse. Note that some things will inevitably break during a renters use (they break when you use your coach, right?), you just need clear wording that takes out the "I don't give a damn" aspect out of it.

I really wish we could develop a (trusted) relationship with a nice Class A owner who realizes we'd treat their coach as well, if not better than they do...and pay them for the privilege to use it. I'm I guaranteeing them there won't be an accident or that something won't break while under my care? No, but I'm promising I'll take responsibility for it (If it's my fault).

There's clearly a universe of some owners who don't want anyone else in their coach, and I respect that. But I really believe there are others that find it very beneficial ~ especially if they gain a "frequent, known renter" who may evolve to be the one that purchases their coach down the line!

Just my thoughts...
Mark
I have another point of view.
Hypothetical of course. Suppose I had a multi 100,000 dollar class A I was willing to rent to you for 2 weeks so you could decide if you wanted to purchase a class A and join the ranks of RV owners.
I would be responsible for preparing it for your use by emptying it and cleaning it and making sure all systems are fully functional when you pick it up.
How many dollars per day would you consider a "fair for all parties" rate for you to pay to use my motorhome?
Lynn
Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was talking to a gentleman and his family as they prepared to leave Lakewood campground in Myrtle Beach. He was doing his final preparations before departure and we were discussing how nice his uncle was to let him use his uncle's motor home whenever he wanted. About a half hour later, I saw him driving down the street with the window awnings still fully extended. This is why you don't let others use your motor home 😃
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a