Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my 2005 winnebago painted a precision painting and they stuck it to me real good. I got very little of what cost me $15K to paint a 33" voyage, over spray, painted over dirt, the front plastic they in stalled over event a string and other dirt. tore up the hood, would not go there again!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Hello,

The clear coat is peeling so bad on our 2000 MADP4080. Anybody ever had RV body work/paint done in Minnesota? I am in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

BTW Newmar was very unhelpful when contacted about the issue. It must not bother them that one of their high-end coaches drives around with peeling clear coat looking kind of ugly. Or maybe it's not important to them to show how shiny and new a 13 year old coach can look as well as the wonderful word-of-mouth testimonial they could get about how they stand behind their workmanship.

Ben
I recommend Shannon's Auto Body in Brainerd. I have had great service and reasonable pricing. I have used them for many years. You wont be disappointed. PM me if you want additional details.
andylarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #17

I have a few options...

CDI in forest City, IA - they paint all the new winnebago coaches. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from the cities. (I live in Maple Grove)

My friend Jeff Stone who works for Youngstedt's Goodyear -- they have a body shop in Chanhassen and I believe they have a booth large enough to handle the RV. Tell him Stefan sent you and I'm sure you will get the royal treatment.

http://www.youngstedts.com/

Good luck!
TDInewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I did rant a little, but the exact response from Newmar was "You need to get it repainted." There was no offer of them providing a recommendation, or even selling me on their body shop. Just a short, impersonal answer.

I have taken it to 3 different places near my home and they have all come to the same root cause without my input. The clear coat layer was applied too thin. Unfortunately, they don't have large enough facilities to do the job.

This is clearly a workmanship/manufacturer defect. I am not expecting any compensation from Newmar, although I wouldn't turn it down. I just want to find a place that will fix it right.
I enjoy working for rv dealer detailing used rigs. I frequently hear "break-room talk" among service, parts and sales personnel. Some love their work, some hate it. I could direct you to THE person you should go to for help in every department.

There are 2 things I no longer accept from the first customer service rep with whom I speak-1. Rudeness; 2. Canned "We can't help you" answers. I actually got to a corporate owner last year and got them to review one of their draconian policies.

One thing I've learned in this business-NOBODY wants a bad reputation! One person can ruin so much. I've watched our amazing dealership spend more than they got out of a sale if an unforseen problem came up that could damage their standing in this very small RV world. I've watched an amazing service department drop everything for stranded strangers broken down and stressed out. I've seen a caring salesperson hug a customer who was going through an awful stretch of life-this salesperson considers every customer a new lifetime friend.

The trick is getting to the helpful person. If you don't get help, ask to speak with the individual who has the authority to make final decisions. Sometimes that is the first thing you should say. And when you get to that person, tell them how happy you are with their product and how much you brag about it with all your Facebook friends and on RV forums. Then share "this one issue" you are having and you would like their advice and help. If the top dog is rude and won't even give recommendations, then they do deserve to lose your business.

Business is ultimately one consumer interacting with just a very small number (usually one) of company representatives-and if that relationship does not go well, its a lose-lose outcome. Call Newmar again and take it up the ladder. If this gel coat was a manufacturing issue you can be sure they know about it! They may not compensate, but they do know who can fix it. My $0.02. :-)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
I had my 2005 winnebago painted a precision painting and they stuck it to me real good. I got very little of what cost me $15K to paint a 33" voyage, over spray, painted over dirt, the front plastic they in stalled over event a string and other dirt. tore up the hood, would not go there again!

Wow! This is the first bad review I've ever seen for Precision Paint. I'm assuming you raised a little he** about it. Actually if it had been me I would've blown somebodies ears off. That's completely unacceptable. After mine was done I found a little over spray and they immediately got someone to buff it out. I'm sorry for your misfortune.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #20

I have had a repair at "ABC Bus" in Faribault and was very impressed. They can work on any size vehicle. They were recommended by my insurance adjuster and did not disapoint.

Have a nice day - Darrel

Tags
paint