RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Repainting Front Cap with paint checking

Just had front cap top painted on my 2007 Monaco Signature as original paint was wearing thin..just inspected new paint job and there are many small indentations that we're not visible prior to sanding and repainting. Not happy with paint job because of this. Being told by manager of body shop that the indentations were caused by the original fiberglass being "checked" and the sanding opened the indentations up and I am now seeing the new paint in those indentations. I personally think I'm being fed a line of crap but before I refuse to pay for the paint job I want to be sure I'm not wrong(about the line of crap) Anyone out there that can give some perspective on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can you post a picture?

I would like to understand this so when I go to get my coach painted I can be sure that the paint shop deals with any checking and covers it in the warranty.

I would think that the proper primer and fillers, would fill in any cracks/checkering so the new paint would stay on top. But I don't know much about working with, or painting, fiberglass.

I hope you get this resolved.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

I've worked with fiberglass a little bit and if prepped correctly the new paint shouldn't show any imperfections. I could just see the owner of a corvette that was just told that the imperfections were normal
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Doug, I had my 2005 Diplomat repainted, both sides and both caps due to the clear coat going bad. When they went to paint the front cap, they found some deep checks in the fiberglass. In the past, there was nothing you could do about the checking, but a few years ago, they came out with a primer that can be used, that will prevent the checking from reappearing. They have to sand the area down to the fiberglass and then use the primer. They charged me an additional $500.00 to sand and primer with the specialized primer, just on the front cap.

The name of the shop that I used is called Final Touch and is located in southern California. If you give them a call, they can tell you the name of the specialized primer, giving you some ammunition when you talk with your body shop.

Final Touch (661) 775-8375
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

Minor checking doesnít show through Rhinoliner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4351129-3D41-41E7-8EB9-A6D8AA18C5F7.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	186332  
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Minor checking doesn’t show through Rhinoliner.
Hummm, that looks like a nice, even solution. I have a couple of questions though:
1) With that textured surface, how easy is it to clean in the spring & summer when it gets covered with 100's of smashed bugs?
2) What did that cost and how long did it take?
3) Who did that for you?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I like the look of the Rhinoliner. Same questions; cost, how long to apply and cleaning?
devildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #8

Doug,
A close up picture would help tremendously. There is a paint condition often called "fish eyes" that is caused by surface contamination prior to painting (usually associated with silicone) and they appear as a depression in the paint. Need the pic to tell for sure.
Tom
PS. Just re-read your post and Don's reply. Are these impressions round in shape or a checkered pattern?
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

With regard to the Rhinoliner, Iíve found that itís easier to clean than the painted surface. Most bugs hose off but if some persist, you can use a brush without worry of scratches. Most any body shop can do the installation in a couple of days. I think I paid around $800 for the full front cap plus the mirrors. This is the same material used for bed liners I pickups. Many places can color match.
W
Old 12-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
With regard to the Rhinoliner, I’ve found that it’s easier to clean than the painted surface. Most bugs hose off but if some persist, you can use a brush without worry of scratches. Most any body shop can do the installation in a couple of days. I think I paid around $800 for the full front cap plus the mirrors. This is the same material used for bed liners I pickups. Many places can color match.
W
One last question:
As you said, I know this is the same liner material used in bed liners of trucks—which is always black—but to your knowledge, do you know if the color can be changed? For example, white Rhinoliner? I'm just wondering if it always come premixed and is always black, or if it comes in a neutral base color and then black is added for the final color? If it comes neutral to start with, a paint shop could mix just about any color to the base Rhinoliner to get a close match to the coach. In your case the black worked great for your existing coach colors. Just wondering if this was possible.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #11

Can’t say what colors are available. Saw a green Bluebird in FL that was color matched with Linex. You couldn’t tell until you were close enough to see the texture. Have to check with Rhinoliner or Linex but would think that info would be on their website.
http://www.linex.com/bedliners/xtra

Good luck,
Old 12-23-2017, 05:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I used U-Pol on my truck bedliner and underside. It is a two-part urethane coating bedliner coating. This product is UV resistant. http://www.u-pol.com/us/en/products

I did my pickup truck bed in black but this product is "tintable".
I bought a cheap spray gun (Harbor freight) and sprayed the coating then tossed out the spray gun afterwards (cleaning the gun was not worth the time and effort).
It looks great. Some 4Wheelers have painted their whole truck/jeep in this, but it is a dull finish.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Pictures?
devildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Patton View Post
Just had front cap top painted on my 2007 Monaco Signature as original paint was wearing thin..just inspected new paint job and there are many small indentations that we're not visible prior to sanding and repainting. Not happy with paint job because of this. Being told by manager of body shop that the indentations were caused by the original fiberglass being "checked" and the sanding opened the indentations up and I am now seeing the new paint in those indentations. I personally think I'm being fed a line of crap but before I refuse to pay for the paint job I want to be sure I'm not wrong(about the line of crap) Anyone out there that can give some perspective on this?
I had my 2002 Kountry Star repainted. All decals were removed, then everything was sanded, then they wet sanded the entire motorhome. It then headed to the paint booth where they washed the rig, top to bottom and let it dry, then wiped it down with clean cotton towels. taped everything that wasn't supposed to be painted and shot the entire M/H with gray primer. Then the primer coat was lightly sanded and all dust removed. The next day they began shooting the 2 primary colors. Over the next 3 days, the accent colors were painted and allowed to dry. two days later, 3 coats of clear were shot. The only "flaws" were some sags in the clear that were wet sanded out with 2,000 grit then polished. No "checked" spots and the entire motorhome looked very good. Oh, this was painted in MEXICO for $7,600 total cost and my 2 dogs and I lived in the motorhome during the entire process which took 3 weeks. I felt it necessary to be present every day and every step in the process. I'm no paint "expert" but I did have my 51'steel hulled power boat painted, so I was somewhat familiar with the various steps in the process.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap, paint