Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #1

Repair or replace hydraulic leveling jacks

I have a 35ft bounder with two slideouts. I noticed I cant get it to stay level with the Jack's and when I looked around underneath there is hydraulic fluid puddle. I was setting them but 6 to 8 hours they would be all the way back down. I assume the seals are blown but is it better to repair or replace them? I would have a warranty if I replace them but not sure of cost difference in repair or replace with new. Cant find anyone around here to even give me an idea or work on my generator. Dont want to take it to rv camping world, they take forever and I live in my motorhome right now. Just north of san antonio texas. Anybody up to speed on hydraulic jack problems. They are almost 18 years old after all. Rv is 2004. With about 90 000 miles on it
Letzenhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #2

What brand of levelers? Some cylinders are rebuildable and I would recommend rebuilding over replacement.
Call around to hydraulic shops - they rebuild cylinders for heavy duty construction equipment and front end loaders are the time. MoHo cylinders are toys compared to what they’re used to.
Being as your in San Antonio, I know there are shops around there. Or, you can drive up to Garland and go to Hose-Fast. If they don’t do ‘em, they will know who does. But I know there are rebuilders in Dallas.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:33 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Also, where are they leaking from? I had leaks from the hydraulic lines themselves. They get old and crack.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #4

Pretty sure you checked for hose fitting leaks before posting about rebuilding, but hydraulic oil can travel funny ,even go up hill through a layer of dirt until whole part is coated over time. If I could get free jacks less the deductible under warranty, I might want the start the process keep my MH , see if I could take possession of the jacks/ have them shipped to me.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:08 PM   #5

X2 on some investigative work! Some old clothes and crawl under there... with the jacks stowed! The leak could be any where, maybe as simple as a loose fitting.

Now, did you post the problem with the generator? There are many 'certified' folks here that may fix it for you... but only if some information is given.

Good luck!
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #6

Stuff comes in waves last week or two IRD, BIRD isolators still popping up . All of sudden its Leveling jack city.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:53 PM   #7

I haven't crawled under actually to see brand or possibly leak is from a line to the jacks or from inside the jacks, it appears that only driverside jack has visible oil leak but it would still blow the whole system if it were just a line instead of blown seals wouldn't it.? Except a line much easier and cheaper to fix, ha, im going crawl under an investigate, maybe take pictures
Old 03-31-2022, 01:03 PM   #8

I'm crawling under there today, old woman that I am, too curious not too. For the generator, watched u tube troubleshooting videos for hours, its down to carburetor problem, easier for me is to order whole new one instead of rebuild. I'll take old one,dump in carburetor cleaner awhile then keep it for spare. It has new oil, all new filters and plugs, cranks but doesn't start. Got to be float stuck or just all gummed up, anyway i have tools and can turn a wrench, mad skills to do it myself now. Pretty positive this will fix it
Old 03-31-2022, 01:07 PM   #9

I'm going under there to look today. Take pictures too
Old 03-31-2022, 01:09 PM   #10

Going to vestigate today and take pics too
Old 04-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzenhouser View Post
Going to vestigate today and take pics too

I just had one of my cylinders rebuilt by Alan Hydraulics in SA. They do good work and it cost ~$120. No more leak!
acvdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hope he got out safely, he was going to inspect it five days ago and provide pictures!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, repair, replace