Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Repair or replace power awning fabric.....

Does anyone know if a tear in the edge of the fabric where it meets the coach can be repaired? I bought this coach used, and it had a year and a half old awning fabric. The front corner had a tear about 1" long, but that's grown to about 1 3/4" now.

Can this be repaired, or do I just let it go until it fails completely and replace the whole thing?

It has a two year warranty, but the paperwork states it's only warranted to the original purchaser.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	169195  
Northviewinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

They make a clear tape for repairing it.
Sprinkroadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think the clear tape is going to be much help to you with it tearing where it connects to your RV. I would use it as is until it gets worse, how much worse is your decision. I definitely would not leave the awning out and your RV untended, especially if there is any wind.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Yes if it's up against the metal then it would not make it a good repair but if you install tape on top and continue over edge and down the bottom, it might slow down the tear. Also use the deflappers.
Sprinkroadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #5

Agreed......there's nothing to tape to on the coach side. I ordered a set of deflappers, and I'll have to hope for the best. We're heading out west for five weeks this fall, so we'll see if it can survive that trip. If not, I'll have to replace.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

I had a couple tears like this - on my awning and slideout topper. I also had a few small rips from tree branches. I pulled the awnings out of their track, cleaned them well, wrapped the tears with awning tape and put them back in. Not a 5 minute job but I did both awnings by myself in one afternoon. This was 3 years ago. The tears have not grown. The tape has yellowed a bit and one of the tape edges is starting to peal. Maybe I'll try to glue it. It is not the prettiest thing to see but it probably looks worse to me. It has delayed replacing the awnings.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, JPeterson. Can you just slide that leading forward edge out a foot and do the repair? I assume I could clamp or secure the roller assembly to relieve any tension on the fabric, and slide it out enough to clean everything and get the tape on.

What kind of tape did you use?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #8

My main awnings' rip was on the back edge so I had to remove the whole thing and the slideout awning had a bunch of small rips so it made sense to take it down also. If you can pull your awning out of the track rip-end first, you should be able to tape it without removing it. I bought a roll of 3" and 6" awning tape from Camping World. The 3" tape is too small.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, awning, repair, replace, ace