Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Repairing Slide Toppers from Hail Damage.

Last night we got hit with golf ball sized hail. Car has quit a bit of damage. The only problem I could find on the motorhome is the slide toppers have places where there are dings,

I don't think any of these would leak now, but they will probably leak soon if I don't do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could patch these spots? A couple of ideas I have are eternabond tape, or
Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive. Does anyone have an opinion if either of these would be appropriate, or some other product?

Thanks.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If the hail damaged your car, I would be concerned that your coach also has damage. I'd get an adjuster to look closely at the roof plus the toppers plus the areas under the toppers. Hard for me to imagine the toppers could absorb enough energy to prevent damage to the tops of your slides.
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

If you use Eternabond, make sure you clean the area well before applying. I used some Eternabond on my main awning last year. It was 14 years old and starting to delaminate. I was planning on replacing the awning this year anyway so I just put the tape on. When I took the old awning off a few weeks ago, about half of the tape wasn't stuck on anymore.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
are you talking about the "rubber canvas" "sunbrella" material slide toppers? if so, and they are damaged, they are fairly easy and inexpensive to replace yourself. Takes about an hour each to do it and not terribly expensive.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
are you talking about the "rubber canvas" "sunbrella" material slide toppers? if so, and they are damaged, they are fairly easy and inexpensive to replace yourself. Takes about an hour each to do it and not terribly expensive.
I would second this. I did two of my toppers all by myself. Ordered the material from Amazon for about $100. I ordered one piece that was long enough to cut into two to do both toppers. Many videos on YouTube to show you how to do it.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #6

It's a 2015 Tiffin gas. The roof is fiberglass. I don't see any damage to the roof or any of the items on the roof.

I guess I should figure out how to get it professionally checked,maybe talk to the insurance company.

I will look into what it would take to replace the toppers, I was under the impression this was expensive, if it's a job I can do myself for a hundred bucks that sounds good.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #7

Where are you ? We had hail last night here
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #8

In grand lake Colorado just outside Rocky mountain national park.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #9

We are in Colorado Springs
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, slide, air