RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #1

Smile Repairing Subfloor & replacing flooring in a Class A

I would like to replace my existing flooring which maybe some form of laminate or vinyl tiles. The subfloor appears to be water damaged in a couple of places. My tanks are right below the floor in question. What is the best way to repair that subfloor? I am thinking that nails or screws are out. Has anyone ever put down 1/4 inch plywood then put vinyl sheet flooring over it? Would luxury vinyl plank flooring be better and if so what about the subfloor? Height is a concern because I have a slide. Further, the luxury vinyl plank flooring I have looked at recommends a 32 - 113 degree temperature range - not a problem in a house but would be in a motorhome during winter storage. Any advice on any of this will be appreciated.
Barsuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #2

I would first try to determine what was the source of the water leak and fix that first. Then you will either have to replace or cover over the damaged area. There are under laments available to get a smooth finish. Sheet Vinyl flooring may be the cheapest bit it will show every defect in the subfloor. Waterproof vinyl/ composite planks are available in different thicknesses and mil densities from 4-6 mil from the box stores up to 20 mil commercial rated at flooring stores. It can be glued down or free floating. It will all depend on the amount of room you have under the slide. I would stop by a full service flooring store to see what’s available.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

Without knowing what all is water damaged and how badly, it's impossible to advise on what to do about it. It's one of those things where you commit to the project first, and later discover what the project is.

As mentioned above, the source of the damage needs to be dealt with first. In addition, it could take a month for the subfloor and insulation to dry out once the intrusion is stopped and the flooring is removed.

I did my bus end-to-end in vinyl plank. I'm having a meh/hate relationship with the results. It doesn't look the same in the bus as it did in the showroom, didn't install as breasily as the videos showed, and seems to damage easily (20mil surface). Scratches are forever.

Any bevel-edged plank is limiting in how you can use the board. Also, beveled edges are horribly weak. If you need to unpair any, you'll destroy the tongue-n-groove locks and need to use glue.

The wear warranty applies only to a damaged plank. You're responsible for replacing all the planks that had to come up to get at the damaged one. So the free one can cost you a couple of boxes; there's no practical way to collect on the performance guarantee.

$0.02, ymmv, etc.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

Post 268 and 271 shows an example of subfloor water damage, repairing, and repaired. Leak is being fixed right now. Ceiling fix and then replacement floor follows.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/mou...394089-20.html

Yes, find the leak. Fix that. Demo the damage, demold, rebuild. Enjoy.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #5

Check out Gravity loose lay vinyl plank flooring. I used it in a motor home for a customer and it works great.
Dave

Tags
air, class a, floor, flooring, repair