Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Often overlooked today is the true cost of what it actually costs to buy/pay for something. I have to make $1.41 to have one dollar to spend because of all of the taxes today...Fed 28%, State 6%, sales 7%. Like I posted previously, I’m glad the nearest dealer is two hours away...not tempted to waste that much time (and cost to get it there) to have someone else work on it.
No property taxes where you live or other "fees"? (I used to use 50% more so we're thinking alike.)

Ben Franklin would be wrong today. "A penny saved is two pennies earned" nowadays.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
No property taxes where you live or other "fees"? (I used to use 50% more so we're thinking alike.)

Ben Franklin would be wrong today. "A penny saved is two pennies earned" nowadays.

Ray

You've forgotten long, short term capital gains, and interest income taxes.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I try to do as much as possible. The original comment was not to say that everyone should do their own repairs, upgrades, etc. Clearly there are some that shouldn't. I chose a profession that did not have any sort of manual labor involved and still prefer not to do it. However, I have done a lot. Swapped a motor in a 66 Chevy Van, rebuilt an 289, built a ramp on my deck. No training in any of it. As a kid I would "fix" things by looking at it an replacing the broken with the new. Now I would prefer to pay someone to fix stuff. But if I can do it myself, I will try.

I do check the forums to see how someone else would do it and have asked several questions. Sometimes you answer your own question after you post it.
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #18

In-laws: I can’t do that!

Me: Have you tried?

In-laws: No!

Me: Then how do you know you can’t?
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have to agree with Ray,IN, that it wasn't a fair statement. I can pretty much take apart and fix any thing that is mechanical. I have no fear when I do it. I often feel that when I'm not sure what the repair is, but have nailed it down as best I can to a part, I will replace that part, if it's reasonable (under $100) before I take it into a shop for at least a $200 minimum, just to diagnose.

Over the years, most repairs have been mechanical types, but now, everything has some sort of electronic component. I'm not as confident working on electronics, so I don't always jump into those repairs. I may have to hire someone.

With that said, many are just not confident that they have the ability to do repairs. I can see if someone tries to do a repair, makes it worse and maybe even make the RV unmovable. Now they have a huge bill on their hands.

As Clint would say....a man must know his limitations!

When I respond to a post where someone is asking how to repair something, I don't just say, install a new slide motor. I try to give step by step instructions, so if someone is on the fence about doing the repair, they can decide if it's something hey have the skill to do.

Lastly, I think the OP had the right idea to try and prompt people to give it a try, but I admire those who know their limitations. Many of them may not be handy, but are probably better at making money than me and can afford to have someone do it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAB View Post
In-laws: I can’t do that!

Me: Have you tried?

In-laws: No!

Me: Then how do you know you can’t?
A. Because their daughter will ask her husband to do it.

B. Because their daughter's husband will volunteer to do it to keep from having an argument with their daughter.

C. All of the above.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVs are my far the most unreliable vehicles on the road. I wouldn't buy one not knowing how to turn a screw.
So far Ive made 750 fixes and improvements on just my last 3 motorhomes.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Ben Franklin would be wrong today. "A penny saved is two pennies earned" nowadays. Ray
I use Ben’s quote (true in his day BUT not today) in a presentation I give to the local HS seniors on how to get ahead in life.
Last winner a bank president asked me a question that 100+ people were unable to answer. “What number” and I am mediately answered “72”.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs