Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Repairs with frame damage

I am new to this group and needing some help to locate a body shop that can do repairs with frame damage to our 2007 Fleetwood Discovery. We took it to a local RV shop here in Panama City, FL and they advised that they cannot do the work due to frame damage involved and did not have any suggestions. Can anyone tell me of a good repair shop that can handle a big job like this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
triurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I've used Bell Frame and brake in Dothan Alabama on several wrecks, just north of you..... they'll straighten/repair the frame and then your body shop can do the rest....

334-794-2733
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #3

Josam in Orlando can do it.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I've used Bell Frame and brake in Dothan Alabama on several wrecks, just north of you..... they'll straighten/repair the frame and then your body shop can do the rest....

334-794-2733
Straightening a MH frame requires a HDT repair shop, not an RV shop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
American Frame and Axle in Tampa Florida.

They are good. I watched them straighten am motorhome frame with a 9 inch twist. It was straight when they were done.
2019 - 2022:1996 National Sea Breeze
It's been a 2 year restore project.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #6

Lots of great suggestions, all heavy duty shops, point is ain't many automotive body shops gonna make the $$$ investment to have heavy duty frame equipment.

Plus if the mechanic ain't used to working with these types of chassis, all the equipment in the world ain't gonna give him that experience.

Just wondering if you got any pics showing frame damage?
Old 07-05-2022, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreazer View Post
American Frame and Axle in Tampa Florida.

They are good. I watched them straighten am motorhome frame with a 9 inch twist. It was straight when they were done.
I've used them on a wreck garbage truck... great job and nice people.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #8

No, not specifically the frame, just photos of the damage on scene. Sadly I haven’t figured out how to upload them on here just yet.
triurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The challenge in repairing a MH frame is getting clean access to the frame to attach the chains and/or cables. The basement gets in the way. Many truck frame shops can straighten a frame, but can they deal with taking off the basement
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by triurch
Sadly I havenít figured out how to upload them on here just yet.
Click the Go Advanced button. That changes the dialog box to one with more functionality, including a paper clip to attach images.

Ray
Old 07-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
The challenge in repairing a MH frame is getting clean access to the frame to attach the chains and/or cables. The basement gets in the way. Many truck frame shops can straighten a frame, but can they deal with taking off the basement
Correct, it's usually a few step process, body shop removes/strips away damage or whatever is needed to access fame points, unit is either towed or drive to frame shop, and back to body shop.

My gut says unless it's a fairly new coach with minor fame damage, it'll be a total loss.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Lots of great suggestions, all heavy duty shops, point is ain't many automotive body shops gonna make the $$$ investment to have heavy duty frame equipment.

Plus if the mechanic ain't used to working with these types of chassis, all the equipment in the world ain't gonna give him that experience.

Just wondering if you got any pics showing frame damage?
And that is why HDT mechanics earn a much higher wage and the shop charges $150-$200/hr.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, frame, frame damage, repair, repairs