RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like already mentioned, winnebago Intent,2018 has the removable 2 bottle setup that you are asking about. I am sure it's cheaper for the factory to build and depending on the buyer,more convenient to refill.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #30

An alternative to sending your 20lb or 30lb propane tank out for testing/recert after the initial 12 years is to utilize one of those "swap stations" where you swap your empty tank for their "full" tank. Pick a tank with a recent cert date. The "fill" will cost more than filling at a propane refiller, but probably less than the cost of sending out yourself for recert, and you save the inconvenience and time of sending the tank out. Swap station are available at many grocery stores and some big box stores. The realize that people will be trading in older tanks, and factor that in with the price of the full tank.

Swap stations that swap 30lb tanks are less common, but I've still seen them.

If you decide to send your tank out for recert, most welding supply stores can handle it for you for a minimal cost. I think I paid $15.00 over the cost of the propane for my last recert.

Overall, the OP's original question was if there was a reason he could not set it up the way he suggested, which has been answered as a YES.

With many coaches going more and more to "all electric", or electric stove tops, residential fridges, and diesel fired aquahot for heat and hot water, there's less reason to carry around that big propane tank.

If swapping out is what you want to do, go for it!

As for resale value, I rarely let the next owner's possible likes and dislikes overrule what we wish for our own convenience/comfort for the rest of the time we will own our rigs!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #31

Leaving on a long trip to FL today. If I can get the tank filled it should last the whole trip and then some with no problems. I can probably survive with what's in the tank right now. If not, we'll be fine operating on electric only.

Should be in a park every night. I usually only use propane to operate the refer while traveling but can operate that on the inverter if I need to or just leave the door closed or fire up the generator. Hopefully I won't need much heat in FL but space heater should be fine. Cooking is not an issue because the wife knows where all the restaurants are.

When I get home I'm going get this project done. I'll post pics on this thread but it could be a couple of months. Thanks for all the input.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
As for resale value, I rarely let the next owner's possible likes and dislikes overrule what we wish for our own convenience/comfort for the rest of the time we will own our rigs!
I like the way you think.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Leaving on a long trip to FL today. If I can get the tank filled it should last the whole trip and then some with no problems. I can probably survive with what's in the tank right now. If not, we'll be fine operating on electric only.

Should be in a park every night. I usually only use propane to operate the refer while traveling but can operate that on the inverter if I need to or just leave the door closed or fire up the generator. Hopefully I won't need much heat in FL but space heater should be fine. Cooking is not an issue because the wife knows where all the restaurants are.

When I get home I'm going get this project done. I'll post pics on this thread but it could be a couple of months. Thanks for all the input.
You have a LEAK on tank at gauge so you are going to fill tank and drive around/use it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #34

Riddle me this, Batman: Why would motorhome builders use the more expensive ASME code tanks if there were a cheaper, legal alternative (20-30# bottles)?

Except for the new Winn Intent as one poster mentioned, I've never seen a MH use anything other than an ASME code tank. If the RV industry can use a cheaper part, don't you think they would already have made the change?

I don't know where the legal requirement is (MVSS, NFPA, RVIA), but there must be a gotcha somewhere.

Anyone know how the ASME code tanks came to be used on MH??
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #35

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Riddle me this, Batman: Why would motorhome builders use the more expensive ASME code tanks if there were a cheaper, legal alternative (20-30# bottles)?

Except for the new Winn Intent as one poster mentioned, I've never seen a MH use anything other than an ASME code tank. If the RV industry can use a cheaper part, don't you think they would already have made the change?

I don't know where the legal requirement is (MVSS, NFPA, RVIA), but there must be a gotcha somewhere.

Anyone know how the ASME code tanks came to be used on MH??
Thicker steel, permanent mounts all used for motorfuel applications & as such use the permanent mount for RV uses.
I demand that any fuel tank(diesel/gasoline/propane) be securely & permanently mounted.on a motor vehicle..TT's and 5'ers are not motor vehicles as per the regs....... just my 2 cents worth..
Each to their own...
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #36

I think you need to read the NFPA codes on transporting portable propane tanks and decide for yourself.

Remember, trailers and 5ers are not vehicles.

https://www.hunker.com/13419114/how-...nks-in-the-car
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #37

After reading the NFPA link, I don't think that is what makes MH mfgs put the much more expensive (to them) ASME code tanks in MH's.

Still waiting to be edumicated on this one.....
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #38

I just saw a brand new Winnebago Tour (all electric coach) with a removable 20 lb propane tank mounted where the large mounted tank is on my 2012. A quick connect fitting was available for an outside propane connection. With an electric cooktop and Aquahot their is no need for onboard propane. I assume Winnebago added the 20 lb tank for someone who carries a propane grill or fire pit. I thought it was pretty nifty.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You have a LEAK on tank at gauge so you are going to fill tank and drive around/use it
Yeah, I've even been known to run with scissors, rip the tags off of sofa cushions and even tried to back up my toad once.

Propane is not a low yield nuclear device. A tiny leak of about 4-5ml per day will never even come close to being any danger. Probably half the RVs out there have similar leaks.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Yeah, I've even been known to run with scissors, rip the tags off of sofa cushions and even tried to back up my toad once.

Propane is not a low yield nuclear device. A tiny leak of about 4-5ml per day will never even come close to being any danger. Probably half the RVs out there have similar leaks.
A leak at that rate will never get the needed concentration for propane to support combustion. Probably won't smell it either unless the slight breeze is just right.

I've gone swimming shortly after eating a few times when no one was looking.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
A leak at that rate will never get the needed concentration for propane to support combustion. Probably won't smell it either unless the slight breeze is just right.

I've gone swimming shortly after eating a few times when no one was looking.
Haven't we all..... But, how did the leak rate, be determined?
Now, if the vendor filling station detects the leak, they will more than likely refuse to fill, and I believe they can actually tag you tank, either YELLOW or RED, which is for gas systems. I thing most vendors will just not fill.
OP, if that is what you want to do, go for it. We had TTs before, and I was happy to have the on-board tank in the MH, as the TT's twin tanks did not give you any indication of change-over, and we would be out of gas at the most in opportune places. I guess we could have carried a spare. Good luck with your project. It is what you want, and it does not matter what others, including me, think or want.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #42

Latest development. Made it to FL earlier this week. Been here for about 4 days now. Just went out and checked to see how my leak was doing and there is no longer a leak at the level gauge. How about that? I guess it's related to temperature. We'll see when I return to the cold weather.

Tags
replace, propane, tank, ace