Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Replace drivers side mirror

Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum, so if it is in the wrong place, please forgive me.
I own a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder. Unfortunately, while backing into position to fill the LP gas tank, I failed to notice a small structure on my left side and knocked the outside mirror off. I ordered a new one from Fleewood and it has arrived. However, the old mirror is secured by four carriage bolts and I see no way to access the nuts. Can anyone shed any light on how to remove the old mirror without cutting a hole in the wall.

Thanks,
Mike
bayoutravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My inside rail had a plastic cover that unscrews then the bolts are under it. Its the metal between the drivers window and front windshield. Not sure if yours is the same but something to look at.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
bay post a pic and also call Fleetwood tec support.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
those are not carriage bolts. they are trim covers. take a knife or screwdriver and pop them off then remove the screws underneth.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
those are not carriage bolts. they are trim covers. take a knife or screwdriver and pop them off then remove the screws underneth.
Unless the same idiot who repaired mine (before I bought it) also repaired his. The wall was rotted. Instead of fixing the wall, they used carriage bolts and stainless plates to put the mirror back on.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pirate, you were not able to see this type of repair?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #7

The mirror repair yes. The wall damage, no. I was told the mirror hit a toll booth. The wall had the water damage area scrapped out and then it was covered nicely with wall material. I had to disassemble the entire wall next to the driver seat to get all the damage out. Good lesson here, buy a moisture meter and use it when looking at a used RV.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, was that a private seller or a dealer? I would be pi--ed if someone just plain lied to me. Moisture meter sounds like a good idea, never thought of that.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Private. The seller actually sent me back some money but it didn't nearly cover it. The water damage was from low grade sealant used around the windows. Four Winds. Then I found the entire floor under the wheelchair shower rotted out. That was the fault of Four Winds. Bad design. Another water damage area that was only found after major disassembly. No way I would have found that in preinspecton. I had this thing a while and have yet to camp in it.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for all your troubles, that sux. If you need any help IRV2 is the place to be, goooood people.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
The mirror repair yes. The wall damage, no. I was told the mirror hit a toll booth. The wall had the water damage area scrapped out and then it was covered nicely with wall material. I had to disassemble the entire wall next to the driver seat to get all the damage out. Good lesson here, buy a moisture meter and use it when looking at a used RV.
Do you recall if the the metal piece under the window went from the very front to the door mounting post?

I ask because the mirror placement on my PaceA gives me a 36"+ blind spot on the drivers side and I want to move the whole assemble back and mount it next to the door post but I want to be sure that it's mounted securely to an inner panel like it is up front. I'm positive design practices would call for it to be like that but not enough to drill holes.

I've messaged Fleetwood twice so far in the last 39 days with no answer and forget trying to get anywhere on the telephone.

My apologize for taking the post somewhat a stray but my heads is starting to hurt from banging it off the wall
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John I have an 04 and have not noticed a blind spot, where is it? You should be able to adjust the main mirror and the convex mirror so they meet (field of vision). I have had my mirrors off to be painted and it looked to me like they were just screwed into the fiberglass and I am not sure what else. They were screws not bolts. I would do something with the mirror before I moved the whole thing and had to patch the holes. You can buy an extra mirror to mount on the bottom or inside of your existing mirror. There are just to many options to this other than moving your mirror. Get a side view camera.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The mirror on the drivers side is the same mirror and arm as the passengers side so I would need as a minimum a drivers side Velvac Max head which is right at $400. for the head from Velvac. The stud on the head is mounted the same as the passengers side so I can not just turn everything around.

The way it's positioned there is no clear vision not even a 1/4" from the door post to the front of the windshield post and that just too big of a blind spot for me.

The picture might give you an idea what I'm talking about. After making a cardboard mark up of the head and putting it where it should go on the arm which mounts it more outboard away from the body I get about 2 1/2" of a view between the head and the windshield post, still not enough to make me feel comfortable with it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John we are steeling this post. Are you talking about from the forward door post (driver) to the windshield post?