Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Replace Flooring in Class A

We have a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser that I love everything about it except the floor. It has a rubber tile that to me always looks dirty. I would love to replace it with a wood laminate but hubby is not so inclined. Accordingly I will have to pay to get it done. Has anybody put laminate in their Class A and if so could you give me an idea of cost? Ours is 38 ft. Thanks in advance for your helpful information
Seagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #2

will be watching this as I'd like to do the same ...
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

There are multiple threads about flooring replacement and you can probably find them with your favorite search engine or using the Google Custom Search in the upper right of each page.

Search for materials, not the RV brand, and you'll probably get more, useful results' "replace carpet with vinyl plank flooring", for example.

There are dozens of YooToob videos that show both the relative simplicity and the frustrations of this task. It's not rocket surgery but it will take some dedication. It's probably best if you aren't using/living in your Suncruiser while doing the work..
Old 10-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

My brother recently got a quote to replace the carpet and linoleum in his 37’ Coachman Encounter with vinyl plank. It was $3800.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #5

We are in the middle of putting in new 12 inch place and press tiles. Cost $200 for tiles, $100 for plywood underlayment and $10 for primer. Pulled up old carpet(not too many staples) layed plywood down, primed and now laying tile. Biggest thing is cutting plywood and tile to go around nooks and crannies.
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #6

We replaced the flooring in our Alpine due to cracks in the tiles. We used the Lifeproof line from Home Depot, specifically Walton Oak, which comes in multi-width planks. It already has a backing, snap-locks into place, and is waterproof as well as scratch resistant. It is thicker than many at 6.5mm due to the attached underlayment. We had it installed by a professional flooring installer who also installs in motorhomes. He glued down the flooring instead of floating. We are extremely pleased with the results.

Costs ran around 3.5K plus cost of materials, but that included demo/removal of the old tile and carpet flooring.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

What was the installer's rationale for gluing it down? Was temperature sensitivity and floor movement not issues in his mind?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Luxury Vinyl Plank

Click image for larger version

Name:	2F219C09-A4C7-457F-BDBB-9B58A77D17B9.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	263712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
My brother recently got a quote to replace the carpet and linoleum in his 37’ Coachman Encounter with vinyl plank. It was $3800.
I did mine in about 14 hours total including taking out the 18 year old carpet and linoleum. Fortunately, removal was a breeze and I had a floor base that looked like it was laid yesterday.
Used the glue down method with a releasable glue and it was a breeze. Took a bit of planning to get the look right (we went east/west instead of north /south) and we did the stairwell too.
The LVP is really easy to work with and the 5 mm thickness was easy to cut with 2 top side slices with a sharp utility knife, then folding it and doing a back slice like one does with drywall. Because we went east/west, we were able to have zero blade cuts butting up to factory cuts. Cutting around cupboards was easy with a sharp knife and a steady hand. I’m 66 and it was not physically taxing, but I’m pretty handy and laid all my own floor ceramic and porcelain tile in the house.
Our cost was $450 Canadian or $375 USD (approx) so I saved myself $3200 USD doing it myself. Over 14 hours of installation, I estimate that I paid myself $228 per hour.
So I went out and bought myself a bottle of expensive single malt Scotch, sat in the rig on our new recliners, and my wife and I toasted our decision to do it ourselves and the fine result.

Cheers

DJ
Old 10-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
What was the installer's rationale for gluing it down? Was temperature sensitivity and floor movement not issues in his mind?
The fellow who advised us at the flooring store advised us to use a releasable glue so that we could effectively do repairs as required. The LVP that we bought was 5 mm thick, and because of it’s construction it will not shrink or expand in cold or heat. It is layered and has a firm flexible fibreglass type backing. He said that he had sold the LVP to scores of RVers and had never had a customer returning with a complaint.

Cheers 🍷

DJ
Old 10-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #10

I will be doing mine next spring. I am researching what to use as I want to put electric infloor heating in first.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Attachment 263712
So I went out and bought myself a bottle of expensive single malt Scotch, sat in the rig on our new recliners, and my wife and I toasted our decision to do it ourselves and the fine result.

Cheers

DJ
I love it ^. Good for you!!
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Well, he is an installer of floors in MHs and had no issues with gluing and favored that technique. The warranty on our flooring was voided because it is installed in an RV, because it may be exposed to a 3 season environment without climate control, so voiding the warranty because it was glued was not an issue for us. The adhesive is pressure sensitive so replacement of damaged pieces is not difficult, and he has not had issues with buckling.

Frankly, I trust the installer's decision though it does go against the recommendations of the manufacturer.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Well, he is an installer of floors in MHs and had no issues with gluing and favored that technique. The warranty on our flooring was voided because it is installed in an RV, because it may be exposed to a 3 season environment without climate control, so voiding the warranty because it was glued was not an issue for us. The adhesive is pressure sensitive so replacement of damaged pieces is not difficult, and he has not had issues with buckling.

Frankly, I trust the installer's decision though it does go against the recommendations of the manufacturer.
I agree. Very few manufacturers will stand behind an installation in an RV. That’s their prerogative, but it certainly doesn’t stop one from installing a good product. We did make sure that when we installed the temperature in the RV was at a constant room temperature- about 70 degrees. Our LVT is nice to walk on, and we look forward to simpler cleaning as opposed to constantly cleaning carpet

Cheers��

DJ

Tags
ace, class a, floor, flooring, replace