Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #1

Replace Inverter and house batteries

After storing my 2003 American Eagle in November with it plugged into 115V in indoor (unheated), I returned in December to find my house batteries cooked and a mess in my battery bay. After talking to a tech at a “respectable” national electronics distributor, he convinced me that I need a new Inverter, and obviously, new batteries. For the sake of this thread, let’s assume the diagnosis is accurate. My question is, What is the right Inverter and (staying with 6V flooded batteries), what batteries should I buy. Thanks,

Flatlander 24
2003 American Eagle 40W
Flatlander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #2

You need to find a new tech. An Inverter has nothing to do with charging the batteries. An inverter changes 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC.

You may need a new CHARGER, not an Inverter.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
You need to find a new tech. An Inverter has nothing to do with charging the batteries. An inverter changes 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC.

You may need a new CHARGER, not an Inverter.
Thinking a 03 Eagle has an inverter/charger which many people call an inverter. If indeed it is bad, would go all the way and buy a Victron inverter/charger and some battle born batteries.
But is you feel it necessary to buy lead acid, Lifeline makes some of the best agm's, but are not cheap.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

I don't know how many 2003 40' American Coach's " A Traveler " has seen that DO NOT have a combination Inverter/Charger, but thank you to "jcussen" for clarifying my obvious oversight.

Anyway, would anyone care to weigh in on the Magnum MS2012 as a replacement to the stock unit in my 2003 MH. The stock unit is a Magnum but the company that built the keypad control is Tracer, which I think is now somehow connected to Xantrex, which also makes Inverter/Chargers for MH's.

It's obvious I know nothing about these things so I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction to get my Inverter/Charger replaced with the right device. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #5

Before you run out and replace, have you done any testing on your inverter/charger.

If not, get new batteries installed and plug it in.

See what kind of voltage it charges at. You didn't say what brand you have but many use battery temperature sensors.

If the BTS goes bad, the float voltages can go low or high. If they go high, it will overcharge your batteries and boil the water out. From that point, the batteries get cooked. The BTS is a cheap replacement part.

If you measure high float voltages, un-plug the phone jack looking plug on the inverter case. It should be marked BTS or battery temp sensor and see if they come down to 13.2 to 13.4 volts.

When you first plug in, with new batteries, it will charge higher then float voltage, for a few hours, so you do need to wait that out.

Keep us posted.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Twinboat is correct. You could have had one battery with a bad cell and it kept the voltage low enough for the system to overcharge the rest.

I've replaced a couple of the early Trace Xantrex inverters with new Magnum pure sine inverters. Even if you purchase a new Xantrex inverter you will need a new inside remote panel so I'd recommend you go with the Magnum. It's made in the US and is a quality product. I'd recommend the MS2012. You will also need the Magnum remote panel (ME-ARC) to control it. Installation is pretty straight forward. You will need to cut and reverse the plug on the RJ11 telephone cord. Magnum uses a reverse polarity on the cord from Trace.

Do a search on here as someone else was replacing an inverter in an American Coach. You may have to rework the auto transfer switch as well.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #7

Thanks "vito.a" and "twin boat". I'm gong to look for someone local that can remove my inverter /charger and do some testing. It would be great if I can just replace a battery temp monitor switch instead of the whole inverter /charger.

Because I'm in the midwest and winter is here, I won't be replacing the house battery bank I cooked until Spring. The chassis batteries are fine but I want to put a battery tender on them to keep them up. I believe my 2 12V chassis batteries are wired in parallel to keep the voltage at 12 but increase the capacity.

My question now is: Do I buy a 2 Bank 12 volt charger (1.25 amp) and hook up the batteries separately or do I just need 1 single charger to charge both batteries since they're wired in parallel?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander24 View Post
Thanks "vito.a" and "twin boat". I'm gong to look for someone local that can remove my inverter /charger and do some testing. It would be great if I can just replace a battery temp monitor switch instead of the whole inverter /charger.

Because I'm in the midwest and winter is here, I won't be replacing the house battery bank I cooked until Spring. The chassis batteries are fine but I want to put a battery tender on them to keep them up. I believe my 2 12V chassis batteries are wired in parallel to keep the voltage at 12 but increase the capacity.

My question now is: Do I buy a 2 Bank 12 volt charger (1.25 amp) and hook up the batteries separately or do I just need 1 single charger to charge both batteries since they're wired in parallel?
Just get one maintainer. Both start batteries are tied together in parallel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, batteries, house batteries, inverter, replace