Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Replace manual leveling control with auto?

I have searched high and low and can't find anything on this topic. I have a 2003 Fleetwood Flair 33r with an Atwood hydraulic leveling controller. It's manual and I'd like to look at replacing it with one that has automatic leveling. Is this possible?
ryano21911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano21911 View Post
I have searched high and low and can't find anything on this topic. I have a 2003 Fleetwood Flair 33r with an Atwood hydraulic leveling controller. It's manual and I'd like to look at replacing it with one that has automatic leveling. Is this possible?
Why? There are a lot of people on here including me that usually always use the manual mode of leveling over the automatic mode. Mine works great but sometimes it just lifts the thing higher than necessary, especially if you are not on level ground.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
As far as I can find, Atwood only makes electric levelers now. Any Atwood auto leveling system for the electric motor system probably wouldn't be compatible. If Atwood used to make an auto system for their hydraulic leveling system, you'd have to see if all the parts are available. Have you contacted Atwood?

I only have a manual system, I don't find it that much of a chore to level my MH, using pairs of switches to prevent uneven jacking and twisting the frame. I lay my iPad or iPhone on the floor next to my seat with a level app open, and it just takes a minute or so. Less complication, less chance of things going wrong.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have an Atwood Level leg system on my '07 Newmar, it is all electric, no hydraulics. Long story short, it failed and is not repairable, I am buying an entire new system. Suppose to be finished today or tomorrow. New system from Newmar is $2500, labor installation is quoted at $1200.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As far as I can find, Atwood only makes electric levelers now. Any Atwood auto leveling system for the electric motor system probably wouldn't be compatible. If Atwood used to make an auto system for their hydraulic leveling system, you'd have to see if all the parts are available. Have you contacted Atwood?

I only have a manual system, I don't find it that much of a chore to level my MH, using pairs of switches to prevent uneven jacking and twisting the frame. I lay my iPad or iPhone on the floor next to my seat with a level app open, and it just takes a minute or so. Less complication, less chance of things going wrong.

You say "pairs" of switches; my switch layout is one button for two leveler. So when I push a button, I am operations two jacks. I would appreciate your comments and thoughts regarding two switches. Thanks
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
One more question, and maybe I misunderstood. My understanding for "AUTO" was that it was preprogrammed such that it was for use at one location. Like when you are parked at home, not random locations with varying slopes.

Sounds crazy, but that as the way I read the owners manual ( not that I thought it was that well written)
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Auto leveling just pushes the jacks down until the RV is level. I've not heard of one that has any other memory. It's programmed to operate pairs of jacks to prevent twisting, but no location memory.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a box, usually located near the center of the coach that has the leveling components. Once the coach is perfectly level, the box is set to recognize that position of the coach as the level position.

In 2005 we bought a new Monaco Diplomat with a manual RVA leveling system. Sure enough, in 2006, they came out with auto leveling as standard. I called RVA and they told me they could make me a great deal on a the equipment to convert mine. It would only be $2300.00. I decided I could do a LOT of manual leveling for $2300.00. I actually found that I could level the coach faster, manually, than the auto units could.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Why? There are a lot of people on here including me that usually always use the manual mode of leveling over the automatic mode. Mine works great but sometimes it just lifts the thing higher than necessary, especially if you are not on level ground.
X2 Always manual even though I have the auto option.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Our tech recommended we level manually when he did the walk through. Very easy and quick.

I tried the auto level once and the coach ended up about 4" higher than doing it manually.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Agreed that the auto leveling just raises it to high. Sometimes it gets the fronts off the ground when not even remotely necessary.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Big Foot (Hydra Mfg) has a fully automatic aftermarket leveling system that could replace yours. That's "replace", not upgrade. Ain't gonna be cheap and I question if an '03 Flair would be worth the price, but that's strictly your call.

Bigfoot Leveling Systems for RVs & Motorhomes
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano21911 View Post
Nothing is impossible. Question is, how much would you like to spend to accomplish your request? And, do you really think it's worth it?
My 03 DS has manual levelling and Works just fine. Take the couple grand and buy a new set of golf clubs. Much better investment. IMHOP of course.

Tags
ace, leveling, manual, replace