Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #15

Another option is to order replacements from motorhometires.com (or similar site) which will likely get you better pricing and selection than you’ll find in that small town. Onsite installation is included, which you could potentially have performed at the time and place you pick up the motorhome.
One caveat is to make sure the tires have recent production date codes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #16

The fact that they were covered when not in use would ease my mind. Buy and install a TPMS. Get the coach weighed and set to the correct pressures with a load inflation table or use the placard pressure and drive it home. Drive at a reasonable 55-60 mph and enjoy your new rig. Stop after the tires have warmed up and feel around each sidewall surface for any unusual bumps etc. More than likely, they will be good for a couple years, but certainly good enough for a 900 mile leisurely drive. To further ease your mind, when you get home pick your tire shop and tire brand and write the check.

Edit: I've stated what "I" would do given my experience with tires of all ages and their care. When to replace the tires depends on your comfort level.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #17

You appear to buying a very nice coach. You already know in your mind that the tires are questionable and need to be replaced.

I would call the local tire shop and see what he has to offer and what kind of deal he is willing to make on 6 brand new shoes for your new girl. I would not take a chance one (1) a blow out, that could damage the rig. (2) Cause you to possible lose control and crash your brand new to you, Pride & Joy. (3) Leave you sitting on the side of the Interstate someplace with your LIFE IN DANGER and at the mercy of whom ever you can get to bring you a tire to get you going.

If the local guy is not in the ballpark of reasonable, check with Love's Travel Plaza. They are reported to be reasonable on RV tires and have numerous locations IF a problem comes up with one of the tires at a later date.

Life is too short to take a chance on something you KNOW BETTER than take a chance on. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #18

Air the tires to the federal tire placard pressures and drive carefully home, drive ~60 MPH- no speed records.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #19

Just wanted to mention that the GY670RV tires have a bad reputation for blowouts in the 2010 years.

Here's a link to one thread about them: Goodyear Thread

I'd suggest the OP do some careful forum searching for info on the GY670's. Maybe changing them before you left town might be the safest route to follow. I know if I chanced it, I'd keep my speed around 55 MPH the entire trip...just to lessen damage if one blew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Air the tires to the federal tire placard pressures and drive carefully home, drive ~60 MPH- no speed records.
This 'depends'...if the tires are original OEM tires than yeah, go by the placard. If they aren't the OEM installed tires, note that the tire pressures to go by are to be the pressures recommended by the tire manufacturer, not the placard, as they don't always agree.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Just wanted to mention that the GY670RV tires have a bad reputation for blowouts in the 2010 years.

Here's a link to one thread about them: Goodyear Thread

I'd suggest the OP do some careful forum searching for info on the GY670's. Maybe changing them before you left town might be the safest route to follow. I know if I chanced it, I'd keep my speed around 55 MPH the entire trip...just to lessen damage if one blew.

This 'depends'...if the tires are original OEM tires than yeah, go by the placard. If they aren't the OEM installed tires, note that the tire pressures to go by are to be the pressures recommended by the tire manufacturer, not the placard, as they don't always agree.
Very true, thanks for the catch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I know the appearance is not an excuse but here is a photo of the lear left side. As you can see, it also has the Cross Fire inflation system.
My experience is a lot of heavy duty tires (truck tires) have the hump in them. I’ve seen it a lot on my company truck tires. I was told it was a seam in the carcass if the tire. As many have said as well I do not trust or line Goodyear RV, truck tires or trailer tires, to many bad experiences. Personally if you don’t have a good source in the area where you will be picking it up I would carefully inspect all the tires, especially between the tread and around the beads of the tires.

In most opinions and the RV tire world your tires are aged out, kind of at their limit especially on the steer axle.

I would source some Michelin replacements when you do replace them.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #22

I suspect 90% of RV’s don’t change tires until we’ll past 10 years... not optimal, but likely really common.

7 years on near new tires? You should be good for awhile...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:22 PM   #23

It's a wonder anyone has any fun in an RV. Too much stuff to worry about. Drive the coach home and enjoy your new purchase.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I just purchased a coach with the original GY G670 19.5 tires with less than 7K miles on them with a DOT date of April 2014. Yep, it has been driven very, very little. Its always been under cover and the tire sidewalls look great and are absent any sidewall cracking, etc. Of course, the tread wear is practiclly non existant.
I'm picking-up the coach in 2 weeks and drving it home which is 900 miles. I have all intentions of replacing the tires but I'm torn whether to do it prior to the trek home. The coach is in a smaller town so dealer options are more limited compared to where I live.
It's obvious by the age and miles that the coach has sat a lot which I know is not good for the tires.
Would you drive it home or replace the tires first? Thanks!
Well, there you go, you’ve heard it all. Change your tires, no wait, don’t change your tires. By reading all this, I’d say you’re about where you started. Where do you go from here. Flip a coin. Lol
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #25

Since you'll be able to do it by choice and not on the roadside, I'd replace the tires, the radiator hoses, the oil and filters, the air filter, the belts, and drain and refill the brake fluid if hydraulic brakes. The coach is at least five years past due on those items.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #26

I kind of forgot about this when did my initial post. I purchased a used low mileage 2008 coach back in 2014 with only 4900 miles on the clock. The tires manufacturer date was just shy of 7 years old at that time and were Michelin tires. The coach had set two tears according to the dealer I purchased it from and had been stored in a pole building. The previous owner got sick and past away. I made one trip out west with no issues but that fall I was on a short trip and was only 3-1/2 hours from home when I noticed the front tires were starting crack and come apart. I replaced them immediately before continuing on my trip. The rears were fine but were replaced when I returned home from the trip. I had my tires inspected right after I purchased it by a reputable experienced tire dealer and didn’t see any issues prior to the failure.

I also had a 2005 I purchased in 2016 with the original tires on the rear and they never failed before I changed them.

My point is it is your call but with the coach setting for two years is my biggest concern. If the coach was stored inside on concrete out of the sun versus setting on dirt can make a difference.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:23 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
It's a wonder anyone has any fun in an RV. Too much stuff to worry about. Drive the coach home and enjoy your new purchase.
Boy, do I ever agree with you. Most folks seem to have too much money to spend on items that they don't need that they can take care of with a little common sense. Kind of like the two guys that died in the Tesla because they relied too much on the self drive and no-one was in the drivers seat when it crashed.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Another option is to order replacements from motorhometires.com (or similar site) which will likely get you better pricing and selection than you’ll find in that small town. Onsite installation is included, which you could potentially have performed at the time and place you pick up the motorhome.
One caveat is to make sure the tires have recent production date codes.
X2

I recently had a 6 yo front tire blow out while parked at an FMCA rally. Got one new tire for that and when home had 6 Toyo's installed at my storage facility by motorhometires.com. Very pleasant experience. I already had centramatics all around so no balancing needed.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, tire, tires