Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #1

Replace TV antenna to omnidirectional

I have a Tiffin Allegro 2014 33-AA. It has a TV antenna with an electrical system/remote directional system . It no longer works and I would like to change to an amplified omni directional antenna that would have the same footprint on the roof as my existing. Has anybody installed one? Best brands. Thanks
gtbdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Winegard Roadstar. Winegard RoadStar RS-3000 RV TV Antenna
Works fine, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Looks to be well made, and was easy to install at existing roof mount location.

My coach came with an amplified antenna (which was broken), so when I swapped to the Roadstar I also upgraded the "amplifier" to this http://www.winegard.com/sensarpro
It fit the same location and has some nicer features.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #3

Most Omni directional antennas don’t work as well as the directional ones, so keep that in mind. Winegard has the reputation for being really good, and they do have an Omni. Don’t know what you are replacing, but have your determined what doesnt work about it? Many antenna problems boil down to corrosion at the connectors. You should go to Winegard’s website and browse the RV products section.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

My coach came with an amplified antenna (which was broken), so when I swapped to the Roadstar I also upgraded the "amplifier" to this http://www.winegard.com/sensarpro

What does the sensor pro do for you?
geneb28532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't advise you on that but noticed you are kinda new and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

If all else fails, coat hangers and aluminum works well..
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Which amplifier and why - with the omni antenna?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneb28532 View Post
Not sure what a Sensar Pro does for an Omni antenna as it’s main function is to help you to find the direction of and fine tune the direction to point the antenna. You can look for a specific channel by number as an example. Perhaps it has a better booster.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:

My coach came with an amplified antenna (which was broken), so when I swapped to the Roadstar I also upgraded the "amplifier" to this Winegard SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter
Does the sensar pro add anything as you have a fixed omnidirectional replacement antenna. Isn't the sensar pro main job is to allow one to direct the antenna to the strongest signal?
gtbdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneb28532 View Post
It's main benefit is that it has a signal strength meter that would be used to aim your antenna. But my antenna is omnidirectional so it doesn't get aimed.

The reason I replaced the factory provided TV amp wall plate with the SensorPro is to move the RCA jacks from the outside face of plate to the backside of plate. --Why would anyone put the cable connections on the "outside of the wall plate" when the wall plate is mounted over the entry door of the coach? All my cabling is already behind the wall.

And because it "looks cool" and going from the white plate to the black plate matched my other control panels (Xantrex RC7 and girard awning switch) mounted adjacent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	215371  
Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #11

The whole antenna direction, signal strength, tv scanning, etc. process always left me in a state of confusion in the beginning. I have the cover plate like Mikes white one above. The knob on the ceiling has a series of blue LED's that indicate signal strength. Question is: Signal strength of what? If you don't know what station that signal strength applies to, what good is it.

I like the looks of the Sensor Pro cover plate because it seems to indicate the signal strength of each individual channel. If I read it correctly as Mike has posted, it's set on channel "4" and where the antenna is pointed, (assuming you had a directional antenna) there is no signal. One then could rotate the antenna to see if a signal is available for that channel. I'm going to look into the operation of this booster and may get one.

Currently, once the coach gets set and every thing's turned on, I go to my phone to get the zip code of my location, address will work too but zip code is shorter. whatismyzip.com Once I have my location, I go to antennaweb.org and follow directions to get a map and list of stations available at my location. It shows you where the broadcast towers are located relative to your location. In the list of channels, it gives the channel # and direction in degrees to set the antenna for the best signal strength. Then I use the phone compass to get the direction correct and set the antenna to match the phone. Once you have the antenna set where you want it, then you scan the TV to see what channels your TV will pick up. Half the channels you want to watch may be broadcast from the east, and the other half of the channels may come from a different direction, so the direction setting and scanning may need to be done with the selection of different channels. TV's with a more sensitive tuner will pick up more channels than others. My living area TV will always get more channels than the bedroom or outside TV will get, but the better the tunner, the more expensive the TV is. In most cases a TV sold in a retail store will be hooked up to cable and all tuners will be good enough for cable. When we go after weak signals is when we test the tuner.

The feature of individual channel signal strength is what I like about the Sensor Pro, if that is what it really provides. If any one has the detail information on the Sensor Pro, please chime in.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winegard Company Antenna Support, Troubleshooting

and

Old 08-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a Winegard installed when I bought the trailer but the rotator gizmo was broken so replaced the whole mess with a King Jack directional antenna. Works far better than an omni directional since most TV signals are located in one or perhaps only two directions relative to the camper. Just point the thing in that direction and you have a good signal. It uses the same amplifier lead as the old antenna. If you want to get the signal sensor, that is OK but I didn't. I have a TV in my bedroom area where the rotating knob is located and just use it to fine tune if that is needed. On top of that, you don't have to remember to raise or lower this model antenna. Posting a link to this antenna to show the unit and not a recommendation to buy from this seller... I bought from someone else based on price.

https://www.campingworld.com/king-ja...saAoHaEALw_wcB
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I had a Winegard installed when I bought the trailer but the rotator gizmo was broken so replaced the whole mess with a King Jack directional antenna. Works far better than an omni directional since most TV signals are located in one or perhaps only two directions relative to the camper.
I think directional is better, but if the coach did not come with a directional antenna it's hard to install one later (would involve drilling through roof for handle to stick through or new wiring for the rotating motor).

Tags
ace, antenna, replace