Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

Replaced Diacovery coolant tank

Freightliner chassis with a CAT C7. The old tank was crumbling at the seams so I figured it was time. Took about an hour and a half. Put a new cap on it and ran the engine for 20 min with the cap unsealed. You need to pull the brackets away from the tank when tightening the bolts or it may rub. Attachment 254786Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_173942.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	254787Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_194234.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	254788
milligsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligsc View Post
Freightliner chassis with a CAT C7. The old tank was crumbling at the seams so I figured it was time. Took about an hour and a half. Put a new cap on it and ran the engine for 20 min with the cap unsealed. You need to pull the brackets away from the tank when tightening the bolts or it may rub. Attachment 254786Attachment 254787Attachment 254788

Was the tank actually leaking at the seam? Or was the replacement simply because the tank was cracked?
Old 07-27-2019, 12:27 AM   #3

That was the first thing I did when I bought mine.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaliasram View Post
Was the tank actually leaking at the seam? Or was the replacement simply because the tank was cracked?
Wasn't leaking but it was crumbling around the seam. I'd rather replace at home.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milligsc View Post
Wasn't leaking but it was crumbling around the seam. I'd rather replace at home.
You made a good call , ours cracked just a tiny tiny bit at a seam on Hwy 93 between Phoenix & Kingman on that long steep grade, was an absolute mess. Radiator fluid turned everything white, entire back of coach, our Jeep towed behind, etc. Had to JB weld our tank to a slow small drip to keep going and avoid a tow. Ended up having to next day ship a new in from Spartan, next day shipping cost as much as the tank. Changed it out at the RV park, took about 1 hour.

This is one of these maintenance things to do that no one talks about, guess these tanks are prone to breaking, especially when exposed to sun.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:32 AM   #6

I want to thank the OP for this thread. Ive been periodically noting that my coolant surge tank has become brittle at the central seam. Kept thinking i should do something about it. After reading this thread, took another look, and is starting to show spider cracks on the tank itself. Just brought it in to the shop to get replaced - they say they replace these tanks all the time because thy become brittle. A little PM Goes a long way!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I want to thank the OP for this thread. Ive been periodically noting that my coolant surge tank has become brittle at the central seam. Kept thinking i should do something about it. After reading this thread, took another look, and is starting to show spider cracks on the tank itself. Just brought it in to the shop to get replaced - they say they replace these tanks all the time because thy become brittle. A little PM Goes a long way!
Always better to fix things at home vs ou on the road.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #8

Replaced my surge tank in Jan. '18. Took me far longer then expected but learned a lot. Now that I've done one, I'd say for a Journey diesel Cat, Freightliner XC chassis, I'd allow 3 hours for the work at a leisurly pace. Here's my blog article about it, with pictures and links to resources: Radiator & cooling system

Mine had many spider cracks and after 2 years started weeping a bit so it was obvious that it needed replacing. But didn't cause a breakdown. I used Eternabond tape to delay the inevitable.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, cover, replace, tank