Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #1

Replacement airbags... does brand matter?

I googled replacement airbags for a freight liner 2000...

Dozens pop up from truck parts stores, from $90 to $350 for original equipment. Each.

Is there a brand to look for? What are these things supposed to cost? No desire to buy the cheapest...

But no point in original equipment either...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 07:00 PM   #2

Did any of the parts you found cross over to the OEM part numbers ?

Front air springs; NEW 90557221 Rear , NEW 90557219
Old 04-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I found/ordered 2 Air Bags for my 2002 Monaco Diplomat from Michigan Truck Spring, 2870 Nodular Dr., Saginaw MI. they say Firestone Air-ride Air Spring. I think my Bags are the same as some on semi trailers. If you can get a number off your Air Bag they should be able to cross reference them. good luck.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:15 PM   #4

I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with a Freightliner Chassis. I got the part numbers from Fleetwood and had to cross to Firestones. Had them put on the rear....so far no issues at all.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
I googled replacement airbags for a freight liner 2000...

Dozens pop up from truck parts stores, from $90 to $350 for original equipment. Each.

Is there a brand to look for? What are these things supposed to cost? No desire to buy the cheapest...

But no point in original equipment either...
bpu699,
You may find "dozens" on the net but, you need to find the EXACT ones that fit your coach. If you're not a member of DTNA Connect, (many of us Freightliner owners have registered our coaches with them and now have access to the EXACT part numbers of every single part that went into the building of our individual chassis's) what you need to do is, call your local Freightliner service center and ask for parts. Then, have the last 6 of your VIN ready. When the parts guy/female asks for you for the last 6 of your VIN, he/she will go right to the build of your chassis and will tell you the exact part numbers and, who originally supplied the air springs to your coach.

Chances are, the supplier has changed. I recently replaced all four of ours and, the original supplier had been changed to a new supplier but, no matter who supplied them, both old and new bags had FIRESTONE stamped on them. Chances are, Firestone will be on the ones you buy also.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go to Files above and do a search on Firestone. You will find the Firestone Air Spring Replacement Guide which should help you identify your air bags.

Best way is to measure what you currently have (front and rear may be different) and look in the guide.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

As always, I learn a bunch...

Always thought these things were like tires, and interchangeable....

Just wanted to carry a spare of each in case something happens on the road...

Are these things easy to get on the road, or is it a hunt to find them...
Old 04-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Did any of the parts you found cross over to the OEM part numbers ?

Front air springs; NEW 90557221 Rear , NEW 90557219
Cool, thanks again...
Old 04-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Go to Files above and do a search on Firestone. You will find the Firestone Air Spring Replacement Guide which should help you identify your air bags.

Best way is to measure what you currently have (front and rear may be different) and look in the guide.
The BEST way is to call to Freightliner, with the last 6 of the VIN and they will tell a person, the EXACT ONES that came on the coach. And by the way, I did click on "Files" and typed in Firestone which turned up ZERO results. Then, I typed in Firestone Air Springs and still got ZIP. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but, the search in most forums never really works all that good, at least in my experiments with it.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
As always, I learn a bunch...

Always thought these things were like tires, and interchangeable....

Just wanted to carry a spare of each in case something happens on the road...

Are these things easy to get on the road, or is it a hunt to find them...
bpu699,
No, they are not interchangeable. Not unless other coaches and or trucks etc. used the EXACT same part numbers. There are hundreds of variables out there. And NO, they are not all that easy to get, either on the road or, even while you're at home. Sometimes suppliers are out and don't know when the production will resume on your particular part number. When I was searching for mine, I got lucky. My local Freightliner Service Center, about an hour from me, had one in stock and, could get the others in less than 24 hours.

Then, there are on-line suppliers. I used two different ones simply because one had better prices on the fronts and another one had better prices on the rears. One of the online suppliers was/is called: SDtrucksprings.com. I think I got my rears from them. The second one that's online is called: Finditparts.com. I got my other front from them.

In the chassis layout of my coach on DTNA connect, my air springs have a prefix in front of the part number. It's NEW. NEW is part of NEWAY which, used to be the supplier for the air springs when the coach was new. But, it's now HOL which, is part of SAF HOLLAND which, is NOW the air springs for Freightliner, in most cases.

But, even though mine were originally marketed as NEW or NEWAY, when I got them out and cleaned them off, there was an embossed FIRESTONE on them. Soooo, that's how all this works. But, if you want a spare, keep in mind:

1. They're costly. I paid around $210 for each of the rears and around $245 for each of the fronts. While something like that would be nice to have just in case, that's costly insurance. And, if you're gonna have a front as a spare, you might as well have a rear as a spare too since they ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. And, they take up a ton of space, if you're limited. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:13 AM   #10

Thanks guys, will give this some thought...

My concern is being on the road on a rare vacation, and having something occur.

Being sidelined for 2-3 days basically means I am done, that vacation is done...

Thats a concern regarding lack of parts availability...
Old 04-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You asked the question if it was easy to find parts on the road....I had an airbag split while passing through Lincoln, NE a few years back. I called road service and the air bag was removed to recover the part No. The Service Guy called Freightliner in Lincoln to cross the Part No. The ones on the my 2002 Diplomat are the same as most of the Air Springs on Semi Trailers. Freightliner had to order the part from Memphis, but we had it over night, so I was only down about 24 hours. Fortunately, I was passing a Walmart when the Bag Split. This is one time I can say the LORD was looking out for us, to be at a safe place(Walmart) to pull in to. Granddaughters enjoyed the overnight since the Walmart had a RED BOX Movie Rental. Just my experience FWIW. Take care.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
And by the way, I did click on "Files" and typed in Firestone which turned up ZERO results. Then, I typed in Firestone Air Springs and still got ZIP. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but, the search in most forums never really works all that good, at least in my experiments with it.
Scott
Don't know what you couldn't find it, here's the link

https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=256
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ags, air, airbag, replace, replacement