Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #15

Just my thought a CO2 sensor can be mounted anywhere. Unlike a smoke detector as CO2 concentration is the same in any area of a home or RV so it could be hidden ;under a cabinet or? Am I off base?

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
Just my thought a CO2 sensor can be mounted anywhere. Unlike a smoke detector as CO2 concentration is the same in any area of a home or RV so it could be hidden ;under a cabinet or? Am I off base?

Greg
Not CO2, but CO is lighter than air, not by much. But it usually will mix reasonably even since the weight is so close. The rule of thumb is to put the CO detector in the mid to upper range of the coach. (or your home)
Smoke detectors, on the other hand, are usually put high on the wall or on the ceiling.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A perfectionist is their own worst critic.
It's a curse.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Not CO2, but CO is lighter than air, not by much. But it usually will mix reasonably even since the weight is so close. The rule of thumb is to put the CO detector in the mid to upper range of the coach. (or your home)
Smoke detectors, on the other hand, are usually put high on the wall or on the ceiling.
Makes sense....Thanks
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #19

I really didn't read all the response - my apologies for that and possibly for repeating what everyone else has said.

The CO detector should be at the floor - CO is heavier than air.

Any CO detector will work. If you want to tie into your 12 VDC system or have one that works on 9 VDC batteries - make your choice.

Having a hole in a wall or ceiling or around a replacement device is minor - find some plastic/metal/bezel cut it to size and install it with hot glue, double-backed tape, rivets or screws.

I'm glad you know that you have to have active CO monitoring - Just in Case.... Stay safe and enjoy your travels.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:13 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I really didn't read all the response - my apologies for that and possibly for repeating what everyone else has said.

The CO detector should be at the floor - CO is heavier than air.

Any CO detector will work. If you want to tie into your 12 VDC system or have one that works on 9 VDC batteries - make your choice.

Having a hole in a wall or ceiling or around a replacement device is minor - find some plastic/metal/bezel cut it to size and install it with hot glue, double-backed tape, rivets or screws.

I'm glad you know that you have to have active CO monitoring - Just in Case.... Stay safe and enjoy your travels.
That not correct.

CO is slightly lighter than air, but it's so close to the same weight, it really doesn't matter where you install a monitor. CO will usually mix evenly low or high. You can purchase for your home CO that plug into your wall outlet (down low) , battery ones that mount pretty much anywhere or ones that mount on the ceiling. They even make combination smoke/CO detectors that mount on the ceiling of your home (120 volt, not intended for RV's)

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...%20the%20floor.

Or
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21536403/

Propane, on the other hand, is heavier than air and the propane detector should be mounted down low.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
That not correct.

CO is slightly lighter than air, but it's so close to the same weight, it really doesn't matter where you install a monitor. CO will usually mix evenly low or high. You can purchase for your home CO that plug into your wall outlet (down low) , battery ones that mount pretty much anywhere or ones that mount on the ceiling. They even make combination smoke/CO detectors that mount on the ceiling of your home (120 volt, not intended for RV's)

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...%20the%20floor.

Or
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21536403/

Propane, on the other hand, is heavier than air and the propane detector should be mounted down low.
Yup - CO is nearly neutral in buoyancy in air and can hang at any height -> I just followed up on it and was looking for a way to correct my original response so others would not be mislead<- I was thinking Propane and where my CO+Propane alarm is located - it's a dual unit and mounted near the floor.

Thanks for helping to keep the forum accurate!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement