Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Replacement over the range convection oven

Okay need a new one. Mounting bolts have to be on bottom anyone know of models that you can get from lowrs or home depot?
Starfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfightr View Post
Okay need a new one. Mounting bolts have to be on bottom anyone know of models that you can get from lowrs or home depot?
As far as I know all over the range microwaves have mounting bolts on the bottom. They're actually about 12" to 16" long and are at a 45* angle. The actual mounting holes on the back plate are near the top of the unit.

Having said that you'll need the height, width and depth dimensions before you go shopping. We thought we were going to need to replace the Sharp Microwave/convection oven in our 2013 Adventurer. It was eventually repaired by a competent technician.

While looking for a replacement we found most RV manufacturers use off the shelf residential units and there are a couple standard sizes. In the scheme of things Home Depot and Lowes have limited choices. We looked there and eventually went to an appliance store (Grand Appliance) that had at least a couple dozen different models available.

Be careful and do some product research before buying. We found that the model we have in our Adventurer was considered "obsolete" by Sharp even though it was only 13 months old. Essentially that means no parts or service are available. However the same model is currently being sold by Home Depot, Best Buy and another dozen online vendors as a current model.

When I questioned the people at Sharp about selling the "obsolete" model they said it wasn't a problem it was still covered under the 1 year warranty. When I asked what would happen if it failed the response was that if it was still under warranty it would be replaced by a current model. If it was out of warranty they would be more than happy to sell us another "new one".
Old 06-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
As far as I know all over the range microwaves have mounting bolts on the bottom. .

GE uses a mounting plate that hangs on the wall and two screws that go into the top of the oven from the cabinet above. Nothing on the bottom or sides.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 06-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Community Moderator

following this thread. i am exploring the feasibility of changing out sharp carousel convection microwave, as it uses too much energy (154a from battery, although it labels input 1600w and output 800w).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
GE uses a mounting plate that hangs on the wall and two screws that go into the top of the oven from the cabinet above. Nothing on the bottom or sides.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
That's interesting. We have a GE microwave (no convection oven) at home and a Sharp microwave/convection oven in our motorhome. Both use long bolts at a 45* from the bottom to secure them to the back plate, which is in turn screwed to the wall.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
That's interesting. We have a GE microwave (no convection oven) at home and a Sharp microwave/convection oven in our motorhome. Both use long bolts at a 45* from the bottom to secure them to the back plate, which is in turn screwed to the wall.

I don't know what model that might be with the long bolts. I recently replaced a 12 year old Advantium over-the-range oven with a brand new Profile over-the-range convection microwave. They both use the same mounting system with the wall plate and screws from above.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I don't know what model that might be with the long bolts. I recently replaced a 12 year old Advantium over-the-range oven with a brand new Profile over-the-range convection microwave. They both use the same mounting system with the wall plate and screws from above.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
mine is screwed from top.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Just put a new Samsung from Lowes in our Monaco, it hangs on the back wall at the bottom and two long bolts go through the top cabinet into top of oven....very solid.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
following this thread. i am exploring the feasibility of changing out sharp carousel convection microwave, as it uses too much energy (154a from battery, although it labels input 1600w and output 800w).
I am not understanding your comment about your microwave using too much energy. Microwave ovens are 120 volt appliances and run off shore power or generator. RVs produced around 2010 and later that have 4 - 6 batteries in their battery bank may have an inverter that will power the microwave.

A 12 volt microwave oven may indeed draw 154 amps but I have never seen or heard of a 12 volt microwave. Microwaves are measured in two wattages: Your unit working out put is 1600 watts with the keypad working, exhaust vent running, light and turn table running and transformer and magnetron tube operating. The 800 watts is the measurement of just the magnetron tube - the device that actually does the cooking of the food. The larger the magnetron tube output in watts means the food will cook faster and vice versa. At 120 volts, your microwave with draw 13.3 amps with everything running. This is a very common power rating and cooks efficiently at this output.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
I am not understanding your comment about your microwave using too much energy. Microwave ovens are 120 volt appliances and run off shore power or generator. RVs produced around 2010 and later that have 4 - 6 batteries in their battery bank may have an inverter that will power the microwave.

A 12 volt microwave oven may indeed draw 154 amps but I have never seen or heard of a 12 volt microwave. Microwaves are measured in two wattages: Your unit working out put is 1600 watts with the keypad working, exhaust vent running, light and turn table running and transformer and magnetron tube operating. The 800 watts is the measurement of just the magnetron tube - the device that actually does the cooking of the food. The larger the magnetron tube output in watts means the food will cook faster and vice versa. At 120 volts, your microwave with draw 13.3 amps with everything running. This is a very common power rating and cooks efficiently at this output.
i didn't elaborate in my comments initially... i run microwave on inverter off 12v battery pack. i consider 154a current draw is too high though i have 560ah usable capacity. if i can find a more efficient unit i might just swap it out.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:11 AM   #11

Been to Lowes & Home Depot.... They say all their microwave over the range mount from top..
Jc Penny & Sears says same thing.... Need a new Microwave/convection oven that will mount into my motorhome they old sharp model had two bolts from the bottom going 45 degrees to hold it up..
Called the dealer they said they can get me the old sharp model for a 1,000$
Don't want to pay 1,000 for a 500$ microwave from everyone else..
The salesmen have limited knowledge on how they mount as most of the people on here...
Looks like I'm just SOL
Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #12

Replacement over the range convection oven

There are L-shaped aftermarket brackets for mounting microwaves to walls with no cabinet above. You may have to attach a plate to the wall first to make this work if the existing wall structure isn't in the needed locations.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just replaced my Dometric Microwave convection over the range oven with a GE that I got from Home Depot. It was around $600.00 with the warrenty. It has screws that go fron the above cabinet into the oven. Also there is a frame that mounts behind it that helps to hold it in place.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

Okay where do you Buy the L shape brackets? And how much do they cost...
Microwave went out 2 weeks ago.. Wife about ready to kill...
Need replacement but "can't mount with overhead screws ceiling in the way"!!!

Tags
ace, replace, replacement