Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #1

Replacement remote for Girard awning?

Hi, we purchased a 2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator that came with a Girard power awning package from the factory. This includes a large patio awning that is built into the upper rails as well as power window awnings all around. I don't know the model of the patio awning but it did come with it as a standard item in 2007. The Girard remote is missing and I believe that in our case, this is the only way to open the patio awning. The window awnings have switches inside. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement remote? I did a brief search and it doesn't appear as though I will have much luck from Girard. It seems like there should be a replacement available. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Terry
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Girard will sell you a replacement remote if they still have them. They can probably help you get one if they don't carry them any more. We've found their customer service to be very responsive. You can probably also just replace your receiver and get new remotes for it.

Hunt around a bit for the receiver on your rig. Girard awnings are notorious for having their receiver boxes in some oddball places. The switch to one of our awnings is in the back bathroom, in a cabinet, in the corner, near the ceiling. It's a white box that doesn't look like anything, but when you push the buttons, the awning will go out or retract. The other one is not in that cabinet, but in a different cabinet near the front. I've seen some that were in basement storage, overhead cabinets in the kitchen, you name it. Look around in the cabinets for a plastic box with wires that you don't know what it does. The new ones are white, but I've seen some older ones that were black.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
You should have a manual switch somewhere in the coach. Press one way for out, press the other way in. The center is off. Otherwise, contact Girard
Old 02-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Your owner's manual definitely states what you assumed. Page 123, says that is the patio awning only is operated by the remote and there is not a switch on the general "awning switch panel" that "is located to the rear of the driver’s side overhead cabinet. The panel consists of ten multiplex switches for awning use. The optional entry door and optional window awnings may be operated from this panel. The patio awning is not operated from this panel."

2007 Holiday Rambler Owner's Manual

If you get do not get good support from Girard, I wonder if you contacted Somfy if they could provide you with a substitute remote? The Girard components in that era I believe were supplied by Somfy.

If you go to your owner's manual on page 124, they show an illustration ( took a screen shot and attached it below) of the remote. As you can see, it's a Somfy. And underneath, it has the numbers 060240.

I did a search for both a Girard and a Somfy remote using that number and it didn't turn up anything.

Technical support at Somfy may be able to give you a substitute remote that would perform the same function ...or at least I'd think they could if Girard can't help.

Somfy Support

Alternatively, maybe you can ask a moderator *use the function* to move this thread to the Monaco Owner's Forum and somebody there may have had the same problem and can answer exactly what substitute remote they used. Or hopefully somebody that has the same or similar coach will see this thread and help you out further by giving you the exact substitute remote.

COLOR=White]/[/COLOR]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	somfy remote.png
Views:	11
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	357050  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #5

Hi all! I really want to thank everyone for their time and help. I will follow up on those tips. I did call Girard and I was rather surprised at how poor their customer service rep was. He was totally unhelpful and really didn't want to even try to think of a solution or do any research. I told him that I can't be the first customer where the remote is missing. I assume remotes have been lost since the invention of remotes. The Girard patio awning came standard on the Navigator and Holiday Rambler sold many so I'm guessing that Girard would have some records of what units they were, etc. He was kind of suggesting that there was nothing they could do, even though he didn't even ask any questions about it, or that I might need to bring the motorhome down to their facility in CA. I thought....really?....I have to drive this rig from Colorado to California for a lost remote? I don't see how they stay in business with such lousy and incompetent customer service, especially with $2.5 M Prevost and Newell customers. I was thinking of adding a 2nd Girard patio awning so we have about 40' feet of awning but I'm so unimpressed with Girard that I don't think I want to spend another $8-9K on them. Well, I'll do some more digging and figure it out but thanks again for all of the helpful tips.....greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-23-2022, 01:39 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
Hi all! I really want to thank everyone for their time and help. I will follow up on those tips. I did call Girard and I was rather surprised at how poor their customer service rep was. He was totally unhelpful and really didn't want to even try to think of a solution or do any research. I told him that I can't be the first customer where the remote is missing. I assume remotes have been lost since the invention of remotes. The Girard patio awning came standard on the Navigator and Holiday Rambler sold many so I'm guessing that Girard would have some records of what units they were, etc. He was kind of suggesting that there was nothing they could do, even though he didn't even ask any questions about it, or that I might need to bring the motorhome down to their facility in CA. I thought....really?....I have to drive this rig from Colorado to California for a lost remote? I don't see how they stay in business with such lousy and incompetent customer service, especially with $2.5 M Prevost and Newell customers. I was thinking of adding a 2nd Girard patio awning so we have about 40' feet of awning but I'm so unimpressed with Girard that I don't think I want to spend another $8-9K on them. Well, I'll do some more digging and figure it out but thanks again for all of the helpful tips.....greatly appreciated!!

Wow, that really sucks! We had a problem with our awning last year and we had two people immediately jump on it and fix it without us having to come to them. Sorry about that! We were really impressed with them. I guess things change there like anywhere.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #7
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Again, I'd still try Somfy. From all that I can remember from those days, they made the components for Girard.

You obviously have Somfy components because you remote says "Somfy" right on the front.

This is the manual for your 2007 Navigator:

Owner Manual for 2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator

Go to page 123 and 124 to see that illustration of your remote. I'd sure think that a technical support person there at Somfy could provide you with a remote that could operate your awning. They most likely don't make that exact remote any longer but I'd sure think they could provide one that has compatible radio frequencies that could be programmed to operate the older components.

Somfy Support Contact Page

Call their headquarters in New Jersey and I have to believe that they can give you a technical support number to call if you don't want to first make contact through the link above:

(800) 227-6639 or (609) 395-1300
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:31 AM   #8

Good morning all- I decided to take the advice and contact Somfy's technical support staff. I sent an email explaining the situation of the lost remote and provided details regarding the year and product of the RV and awning. A support tech. responded very quickly and advised that I should be able to use any of their RTS remotes to replace the lost remote. He provided with a link to the remotes. He also advised that no other equipment or devices should be needed, such as a receiver. The remote cost is between $110 and $130 depending upon how many awnings you want to control. I was very happy with their customer service and super fast response. I am going to purchase a remote and see if it works. I'll keep you posted. I think the customer support folks at Girard need to get trained by Somfy regarding their own products and how to provide customer service.

Thanks to everyone that responded and provided me with advice. All was very helpful. This forum is awesome! Have a great weekend.

Tags
ace, awning, remote, replace, replacement