Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Replacement tires 275/70R/22.5

looking at different replacement tires, mine are 2013 stored indoors great tread only 4000 miles on tires. Is it time to replace? looking at Kumho... any body had any problems with them, thanks Bill
Bulldog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:56 AM   #2

Your going to see a lot of feed back here I think.... I would run the tires... My personal opinion is that commercial tire casings often see a second or third life as a retread if the casing is good... thus that casing might be used as a retread on a trailer or drive wheel for years... I don't think there is a re-tread shop that pays attention the age of the casing as long as its sound..

This of course is my personal thought... I've looked at the retreads I've purchased for some of the trucks I've owned... and often they are several years old....
Old 10-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
looking at different replacement tires, mine are 2013 stored indoors great tread only 4000 miles on tires. Is it time to replace? looking at Kumho... any body had any problems with them, thanks Bill
You didn't mention what brand. Michelin says to replace theirs at 10 years no matter what. Don't know what other brands say, but the internet seems to think 5–7 years. Guess I would ask the manufacturer as opposed tot he internet :-)
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

As jelag mentioned, if not in this thread, in the dozens and dozens of threads relating to tires on this and other RV forums, you will get feedback ranging from those who religiously change tires at 5 years no matter what condition or mileage and those who will and/or can run their tires 10 years (and sometimes even longer) if they get them inspected each year after the tires are 6 or 7 years old. I'm one who will run tires longer than most. You'll have to make up your own mind as to when you want to change them out.

It sounds as if your tires are in excellent shape being stored indoors and only having 4,000 miles so I might be tempted to run them a little longer. However, let's say that you only plan on keeping the coach another five years or so, then it may make sense to change them out now.

As for Kumho, my opinion is that they're excellent tires. I'm a fan of both those tires made by Japanese manufacturers (Toyo, Yokohama, Sumitomo, etc.) and the South Korean manufacturers (Hankook, Kumho, etc.). They all represent excellent value and quality in my opinion, and will cost less than comparable products from the first-tier manufacturers (Michelin, Goodyear, etc.).

Even though Kumho is based in South Korea, they have manufacturing plants all over the world, including China, as do most big tire manufacturers ...yes, even Michelin and Goodyear have plants in China. I do not know for sure if Kumho commercial truck tires are made in South Korea or not but no matter where they are made, the plants will be managed and overseen by the corporate headquarters.

Is it the KRS03 you're looking at getting? If so, it's a great tire. If you can get them for a good price, I personally wouldn't hesitate in buying Kuhmo tires.

Kumho KRS03
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are your tires actually 2013, or is that the model year of your coach? Check the tire date codes, if you haven’t yet.
Six years old is not deadly, but worthy of concern if you don’t know how the tires have been treated. Tread is pretty much meaningless on motorhomes, the important thing is rubber degradation. Wipe the tire sidewalls clean and inspect carefully, looking for small cracks around the mid point of the sidewall, maybe even just barely hairline cracks. These are signs that the rubber is aging, and perhaps approaching end of safe life.
I’m now running a set of Michelin XZA2 that was made in April of 2012. I’ve kept them clean, treated, and covered when long parking. About six months ago a few of them started to show tiny little hairlines, and lately a few more have been showing a bit. In a few weeks I’ll be driving 1400 miles down to Texas for the winter, and sometime this winter I’ll replace them. It’s time.
Good luck with yours!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, replacement, replace, ace