Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2023, 07:42 AM   #1

Replacement tires

Hi all, my Goodyear tires have timed out and Iím considering changing to something other than Michelin or Goodyears. Iíve seen some reviews about Sumitomo tires. To those who have changed, how do you like them? How dothey handle on the road. Any particular issues to share?
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2023, 07:53 AM   #2

I'm a big fan of Hankook's AH37, 18ply. They ride smooth, they are round. Performance wise I like the feel in cornering, you don't get the roll over. Wear and handling is great. There are a lot more out there and everyone will have there own opinion. This It will be up to you to choose and your budget. Happy Travels.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:54 AM   #3

Every tire sold in the US must meet the same standards. Every brand has it's loyal following of satisfied customers. There's not much difference between any of them outside of price. I had Michelins but replaced them with Toyo's. I was happy with them. I probably would have been happy with any other brand as well. Based on the dozens of tire threads on this forum, most are happy with the brand they have chosen. Sumitomo tires have as good a reputation as any other brand.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #4

I have Toyo tires and love them. Sumitomo tires are also great as well. You have opened a big, perhaps as big a subject as which pickup brand is best! Look at the front tires on the semi trucks and see what they use. Toyo, Sumitomo, GoodYear, and one of two others. Choose the best price tires among them. You cannot go wrong.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:50 PM   #5

Thank you all for the info. Greatly appreciated.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:12 PM   #6

You are smart by considering something other than Michelin or Goodyear. Sumitomo is one of my favorite brands ...Japanese engineering and most are now manufactured just outside of Buffalo New York at the old Goodyear factory that Sumitomo acquired. Lots of happy Sumitomo users here if you search around on the forum.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:27 PM   #7

Toyos.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Every tire sold in the US must meet the same standards. Every brand has it's loyal following of satisfied customers. There's not much difference between any of them outside of price. I had Michelins but replaced them with Toyo's. I was happy with them. I probably would have been happy with any other brand as well. Based on the dozens of tire threads on this forum, most are happy with the brand they have chosen. Sumitomo tires have as good a reputation as any other brand.
There is a huge difference, michelins and goodyears age out and fail. I watched my friend go through three sets of those two with failures on every set. He's on toyos now and zero problems. Just watch the posts on this forum. Michelins are great on your suv, they are not that reliable on class A's
Old 06-08-2023, 04:07 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
There is a huge difference, michelins and goodyears age out and fail. I watched my friend go through three sets of those two with failures on every set. He's on toyos now and zero problems. Just watch the posts on this forum. Michelins are great on your suv, they are not that reliable on class A's

How many years did your friend get from Michelins and what size and year tires were they?
How many years did your friend get from Goodyear and what size and year tires were they?
Was this the same friend with 3 sets each? Regardless, sounds like a lot of tires.

Michelins I have seen quite a few posts with sidewall cracking starting in 3 years.

My current tires are Goodyear 295/80R22.5. Fronts 3314 and rear 3113, so coming up to 9 and 10 years. I'm sure some readers are blowing gaskets by now but I'm not one of those sky is falling guys if tires are more than 3 years old.
These tires look like new other than some rivering on the fronts. Don't feel that driving though.
According to vehicle tag, the coach has had same size Goodyears from day 1.

Due to age, I'll be replacing those this summer. Have not prized any yet but they just won't be Michelins.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:56 AM   #10

I switched to Sumitomo ST719 (19.5 inch tires) a couple of years ago from the Hercules brand tires the previous owner of our coach had installed a couple of years before we bought it, and it was a night and day difference, so much so that for the first couple of thousand miles I kept finding myself driving 5-15 mph faster than I thought I was going.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:40 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Every tire sold in the US must meet the same standards. Every brand has it's loyal following of satisfied customers. There's not much difference between any of them outside of price.
I disagree. Every tire sold in the US must meet the same MINIMUM standards. Premium tires have better engineering, better materials and arguably are manufactured in a factory with better quality control than cheapo tires.

For instance, the Firestone FS561 245/70R19.5 tires I put on my motorhome had a tread face that was more than 1" wider than the 245/70R19.5 Samson tires I took off! See the attached picture. The Firestone tire is on top in the picture. The difference in width is obvious!

I think that often the difference between the Super Premium Tires like Bridgestone and the next lower tier tire like Firestone may be just the name. But maybe not!

You really do get something extra when you buy a premium tire. Each of us have to decide if we value the extra things in Premium tires enough to pay the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0544.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	394765  

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, tire, tires