RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #1

Replacing 6 Volt House Batteries

My 4-6 volt house batteries are nearly done for. Are 6 volt golf cart deep cycle batteries a reasonable way to go? If not why? How many cranking amps should I look for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Popular are GC2 sized 6v deep cycle: interstate flooded from Costco.
Duracell flooded from Sam's Club or Batteries Plus. These typically are under $100/each. Duracell also offers 6v AGM typically under $200/each.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcontender View Post
.... How many cranking amps should I look for?
None, you are not cranking the engine with house batteries except in the rare case your starting batteries are run down.

GC2 batteries are about $88 at Sam's Club or Costco.

There are 12v starting batteries. Then there are 12v marine batteries like on my sailboat. A compromise used for starting (hopefully not on very cold winter days) and deep cycle for nav gear.

Flooded golf cart batteries work fine for house loads but require periodic maintenance such as adding distilled water. 4 GC2 batteries will supply enough capacity to run a microwave. How often you have to charge them depends on your power usage.

I run my generator once a day for about an hour if the weather is nice and 2 hours if it is cold enough to run the furnace.

How do you know your batteries are almost done for? Last summer I was boondocking and was not able to run the microwave. I was pulling a battery to take to be load tested and noticed my terminals needed cleaning. Problem solved.

Just got a load tester from Harbor Freight for $20. While adding water, I also checked my 4 yo house batteries. They are fine.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:11 AM   #4

There are lots of batteries out there. Just be sure you replace the current batteries with new ones that are similar or stronger batteries.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #5

Golf Cart Batteries

I use golf cart batteries. I have to check them and add water twice a year, but they work very well for me. Four six volt batteries give me enough power to run things when I can't connect to power. I have a JC compressor conversion for my Norcold and the batteries keep the unit running while we travel.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #6

Our golf cart came with a single point watering system and it was so easy to use that I bought one for the coach batteries. Just hook up the pump to the hose end, drop the other end in the water bottle and squeeze the bulb until it's hard. You cant overfill them. Before that, I had to loosen the hold down bracket to get at the caps, get out a flashlight to see the level, and use a funnel to pour water in the cells.
I check the batteries once a month and the usually are down a bit of water. We full time so they get a lot of charge cycles.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you now have 6v house batteries, stay with the same type. Those will be the GC2 size "golf car" batteries. Forget cranking amps - you are looking for Amp Hours (AH) and they come is two capacities, 210 and 230 AH (give or take a few AH). The 210 AH models will be less expensive and lighter in weight. It's up to you whether you want the greater capacity or not. More AH lets you run longer without being plugged to shore power.

Any two GC2 batteries with the same AH rating will be very close to identical, so you can buy the lowest priced ones of the size you want.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #8

What is your typical battery use case? Heavy use where you need maximum run time between charges, or just the occasional periodic use needed for a few hours?
If the former, you might want to look at something like the Interstate Extreme line 225 amp hour battery vs. the Costco 210 amp hour Interstate battery. Otherwise save money and go with the 210.
FYI - the Costco reserve capacity specs on their website donít match any of the 4 lines of golf cart batteries that Interstate has on their website, so you wonít be able to compare based on reserve capacity.
Sonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the replies folks. My house batteries have been in my RV since I bought this unit used 6 years ago. I do a quite a bit of boondocking and I use the inverter and at night and usually recharge then in the morning with the generator. A lot of this is during the fall moose and caribou season when I use the RV for a base camp. I often drive down the Alaska Highway to the lower 48 in the fall and boondock along the road somewhere. I just added distilled water again the other day so I do keep up on the charge but they seem to run down faster than they used to. DW likes to have the furnace set to her comfort level and that does pull down the charge sometimes to under 12 volts.
I'll check at Costco in the next few days. We no longer have any Sams Clubs in Alaska since they downsized their stores.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:48 AM   #10

GCs for house for sure
https://marinehowto.com/wp-content/u...le-Battery.jpg

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries