Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Replacing AC compressor

I have a 38 foot 07 Holiday rambler scepter model .I’m having a hard time finding out how much refrigerant and how much oil To put into the AC system.I am Replacing the AC compressor and the air dryer. I found the compressor but I am having trouble finding the air dryer which is a drier filter receiver model number 5060036. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Gary
gsoulages is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any good parts store should be able to cross reference that drier in their ac parts catalogue, bring it with you and have them match it up

'06 Itasca Sunova 8.1/4l85e, retired 90 Dakota Convertible Toad, 2015 Kia Soul (SunovaToad)
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing the compressor and drier is not a simple shade tree project. To do this properly, you will need to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump, once you have the parts replaced. You also have to use a specific oil that is compatible with the refrigerant used in the system.

The system also needs to have all of the old oil removed. These systems have a small amount of oil in circulation through out the system. The compressor has to be charged with the correct amount of oil and a little extra added for the system.

As for the refrigerant charge, i do not trust the weight info and charge refrigerant using gauges and a thermocouple to get the correct superheat.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

In my Itasca Horizon all the Dash-AC components you are looking for are up front... above the generator... against the firewall/dash-back-side. There you will also find the amount of 134a (by weight) your coach needs.

The specified amount of 134a includes all the lines and it specified by your chassis builder; however, we always add 10% more than what is called for.

I'm guessing the specified amount will be ~40 oz in total (just a guess) so you would add almost 4-12oz cans of 134a (44 oz). This will not hurt the performance of your AC system and may extend the useful life by 1 or 2 seasons, before you need to add a can. ...But after that you will need to evacuate your system again and start from scratch. The key is to get the right amount of 134a and oil so "entropy" can occur.

* It's very important to get rid of all that old oil too. That is if you want your AC system to work at peak efficiency.

* Good thing you are changing the dryer! You might also want to change your expansion valve too ($25-$40) just because you don't want to open the system up a second time if you find it does not "come to life" after you replace the dryer.

134a TYPE: Just use the cheapest stuff you can find without any additives. Don't buy the synthetic type. That's marketing hype and some use additives of unknown types designed to reinvigorate an old system. But you can do that by changing the PAG oil.

OIL TYPE: There are 3 different PAG oil types. However, everyone typically uses PAG100, because it mixes well with the other two types (46 & 150). However, if you know the oil type that came with your compressor you can use that too. Also we like the PAG100 with "ICE" additive!!!

Note: You will not find the quantity of oil specified anywhere. In all, you probably have 12oz of oil in the system, but that’s just a guess.

Most compressors probably take 6oz. of oil, and then you add 2 oz of more oil per other major component. However, most conventions are based on cars/trucks... so I think you need to add 4oz more for those very long AC lines. (Just a guess.)

Also, most compressors come pre-charged with oil. So what to do about oil? ...Too much oil and your compressor will make noise... too little oil and your compressor will fail prematurely. So use your own judgement, but know it's easier to add oil to your AC system than it is to remove oil.

The process is not hard to bring your AC back to life if you have an evacuation pump and gauges: (Be sure you have the right 134a adapter to connect to your gauge set.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LBLDZ89?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

... and it's anyone's guess on how efficient your AC will work if condenser is not clean.

... last but not least. If your outside air temp is not above 75F it makes is harder for your compressor to turn on.

... The best efficiency I got was a -45F difference between the outside air temp and my dash temp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Diagram With HP & LP Test Locations.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	268375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_182624.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	268377  

Name:	Colgged AC-Delco Receiver Dryer.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	268383   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_125124.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	268384  

Name:	Dash Temp 103F Outside.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	268385  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Our 2009 HR vacationer says 3.5 LB of 134, but the best way is to do it by pressure that way you are sure. Just replaced our compressor and although I have done my own cars in past I had a pro do this one because of the long lines and cost of compressor and the PITA to change the thing.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
Our 2009 HR vacationer says 3.5 LB of 134, but the best way is to do it by pressure that way you are sure. Just replaced our compressor and although I have done my own cars in past I had a pro do this one because of the long lines and cost of compressor and the PITA to change the thing.
When the mfg has the correct charge listed I always pull a vacuum then weigh in the correct charge never had a problem doing it this way. Back in the day when R12 was king charging till the sight was void of bubbles worked well too.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoulages View Post
I have a 38 foot 07 Holiday rambler scepter model .I’m having a hard time finding out how much refrigerant and how much oil To put into the AC system.I am Replacing the AC compressor and the air dryer. I found the compressor but I am having trouble finding the air dryer which is a drier filter receiver model number 5060036. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Gary
This attachment is from the Freightliner Workshop manual and should help with oil capacity. The Denso a/c manual I have shows that a FL chassis uses nominally 3.8# of r134a.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf v8300130wm.pdf (25.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
My system has the requirements on a label pasted to the coolant reservoir.

5 lbs of 134a
8 oz of Pag 46 oil (New Compressor had 5.7 oz in it at delivery)

My compressor is mounted in the Engine compartment and powers two AC units. One in the Bedroom and one at the Dash of our 38' rig.

I have used Napa and Ryder Parts to replace the driers over the past 18 years.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor