Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #1

Replacing an over counter convection microwave

We have a 2002 Dutch Star that has a worn out Sharp 1850 A conv microwave. We were going to go with a Sharp R1874T model but I have read some bad things about it on this forum( ie it shutting off 59 sec into cycle and causing danger due to holding a charge.) Has anyone replaced a Sharp with another make in their coach.
jake007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered our '02 DSDP 4090 with an Advantium 120. It was still working just fine in 2015 when we traded the MH off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just replaced the rather new Whirlpool micro/convection basic model with an GE Advantium.

We have friends that have one in their Dutch Star and love it.

Looking at the machine, you can just tell it is better and I am sure a lot more money that Newmar spent on the basic Whirlpool the motor home came with.

Good luck in your search....

g
Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

We had the GE Advantium 120 in our 04 Coach, probably the same unit that was in MR D's. Due some operator error, we fried ours last year. Parts replacement was above $500, so we elected to order a new unit on sale from Lowes. GE Advantium 120, but this unit was Stainless Steel vs the Black unit (Wife likes how it matches the Samsung Fridge.), and most important to her - it had a rack in so she could convection back two items at the same time.

We did notice the new unit is much hotter then the old unit. Not sure why, but it is. And of course it vents into the coach in most installations. As we spend a few months in AZ, some times above 100 degrees, we just had Premier in Junction City add a vent to the outside. They did an outstanding job, color match the vent cover to our coach paint scheme too. And really makes a difference. We keep our vitamins in the cabinet above the Advantium, and before it would get warm, but not real hot. With the new unit, it was getting so hot inside the cabinet we left the doors open when using the oven. After the vent to the outside, minor warm feel to the shelving's floor carpet.

So if going to the bother to install a replacement unit, might look into how difficult it would be to add an outside vent option. I know out two 15K Penquin's will be happy not having to fight the AZ heat, as well as the oven heat too!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
We replaced ours Sharpe with the model you mentioned last year (1.5 yrs) and have had no issues with it. On the plus side it had the same backing plate as the old one and went right in.
Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

I guess it was a problem in the 1874T model? I also had to change out my Sharp 1850 but I changed it out with the Sharp R1875T in May 2017 and it works great (no problem like you described). Seems I might have gotten the last one of those from Home Depot because shortly thereafter the model line was no longer available.
I am on my 3rd Sharp in my S&B in 12 years - seems the over the range models we've had fell apart - keypad and door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake007 View Post
We have a 2002 Dutch Star that has a worn out Sharp 1850 A conv microwave. We were going to go with a Sharp R1874T model but I have read some bad things about it on this forum( ie it shutting off 59 sec into cycle and causing danger due to holding a charge.) Has anyone replaced a Sharp with another make in their coach.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake007 View Post
We had to replace out Sharp a few months ago.

We did try another brand (I forget which one). However, it would not work in the space because the hinge was "eccentric" meaning when the door was opened it was wider than the body of the microwave. Therefore, the door would hit the hinge-side cabinet because the cabinets came out from the wall further than the microwave does.

Standard upper cabinets are only 12" and any microwave would work.We ended up getting a new Sharp - used the same mounts and works just fine - we do avoid using the microwave on our modified sine wave inverter - and we did put a $10 home depot appliance surge suppressor on the receptacle for the micro (and the washer, etc.)

See the pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 9.25.00 AM.png
Views:	53
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	226832  
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #8

I replaced our our old sharp with a new kitchen aid.

I had the same issue with the door rubbing the cabinet but then moved it hard against the right side and it just barely rubs now and i can live with it. Model KMHC319ess-4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2D3FB5B-4A7E-4E96-8233-C52077388125.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	226844  
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #9

Most microwave/convection ovens come with a baffle the installer must switch to outside or inside venting. The only vital point is buying one that fits the opening, everything else has options. Is one better than another? Remember you get what you pay for.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave