RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing backup camera system components

I need a better backup camera system for a 2006 Monaco Cayman 36. Presently have what I assume is an aftermarket monitor that shows only the word "Voyager" as identification, screen with frame 7.5 x 5. Color. Side cameras that look stock (in nacelles, same paint as body). All cameras work but very poorly in daytime, useless with sun low behind and at night. All cameras hardwired. Side cameras not connected to turn signal but am told "wires are there, just not connected." Assume that's wires from the turn signal but not confirmed.

One problem is the monitor is dash mounted, center, low, angled slightly toward driver's position but not nearly enough. I intend to have a nacelle custom-built that will cock a monitor almost directly toward my head. But want much better image quality. I have no technical knowledge whatsoever about backup camera systems. Questions:

1. Should I start by replacing just to monitor on the chance that cameras are good? There appears to be some fogging in the lenses of the side cameras but I'll address that with REV once they're back from the Great Toilet Paper Pandemic Of 2020.

2. Fogging: Is it possible/likely that the rear camera, assumed to be OEM, is fogged and the fogging causing some/all of the poor monitor performance? Should I start with cameras rather than monitor?

3. In an approach of first replacing only the monitor, could there be insurmountable incompatibilities between cameras of unknown brand and specifications and a monitor sourced from a different manufacturer?

4. Wired or wireless rear camera? I've seen on line a three-camera system with wireless rear and wired side cameras. This system also claims to overcome wireless fidelity problems at highway speed (didn't know there were any).

5. Any other advice/relevant experiences, particularly from Monaco owners?

Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #2

I hope to be a 2005 Monaco Cayman owner shortly, and the one I'm looking at has similar backup camera issues. I intend to replace with a new 7" color LCD screen and new camera(s) as well. I'm not worried about security and watching people prowling around the MH at night, but it'd be nice to supplement the mirrors with side cameras.

I'm hoping to be able to reuse the current wires so I don't have to run new ones. RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All) has been highly recommended here.

I'm also really hoping I can find an affordable camera with in-dash motion controls so I can see the hitch when backing up to a trailer and still be able to see approaching traffic while on the road.

One thing to check first is whether the existing camera has a plastic lens or lens cover that's weathered. Think about what most plastic headlight lenses look like after 10 years - they pretty much all need to have the oxidized surface sanded off and then polished. Maybe it's the same thing on our backup cameras?

IWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

I went through replacing my old B&W monitor and found my side cameras were badly blurred. Rather than waste money on another monitor, I put that money into a huge 12.8 inch Android head unit that can handle the monitor needs as well as GPS and any other tablet apps.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/12-8-inch-android-head-unit-replaced-a-b-and-w-rear-monitor-and-outdated-head-unit-488934.html
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
IWander -- thank you -- have only looked at the backup camera from the ground, don't know about a plastic lens or plastic over the lens, and that is a very good point. It looks like it is designed to articulate and may have originally, before the monitor was replaced. And thank you for the link.

Skitime -- and thank you. I'm going to pass on that. I'm a dumbphone user. All that high tech stuff is above my security clearance level . . . but it does sound like a good idea for y'all tech-savvy folk.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our fixed rear camera was pointed 'down' too much for my liking... I guess to allow you to see the hitch to hookup a trailer ?!? - no matter, I wanted it to show traffic further back.

So I just put some washers under the lower screws to tilt the whole mechanism 'up' .
Now I see the back third of our jeep toad and more of the traffic behind !

re the side camera's - you can have mine !
I HATE the delay when it switches to side camera when using turn signals, so much so the turn signals are used less... with proper upper and lower mirror adjustment I have no blind spots

Tags
camera