Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

Replacing Captains Chair Seat Covers

As noted below, I own a 2010 Thor Hurricane 33T. Both of the Captain's Chairs up front look pretty rough. I am thinking about removing these chairs and taking them to an automotive upholsterer for re-covering. Has anyone removed these chairs? How tough a job is it? Thanks.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Four bolts and nuts on mine attach the chair to the power platform.

5 minutes max.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

Jim & Judy
Our chairs and sofa 'leatherette" disintegrated. Flexsteel agreed to ship new covers free of charge even though we were out of warranty. We had to pay to have them installed and glad we didn't try it ourselves. Later heard Flexsteel sold Monaco some bad fabric. Just glad I called, maybe it might work out for you? $800 for install (both seats and sofa) is a lot better than adding $1800 for upgrade to ultra leather. Even if we are still sitting on leatherette.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 AM   #4

flynnwalter, how did you know that your seat material was provided by Flexsteel? Do they provide the material for most coach seats? The couch is not in great shape, but no where near as as bad as the captain's chairs. For a coach that is only 3 years old, and has 14,000 miles on it, the seat material is in pitiful shape.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 AM   #5

J&J
Look underneath the captains chairs and you should find a tag. In our case it was pretty clear something was wrong as the leatherette was flaking off. Also, Monaco has a number we can call and give our coach number to determine what is on the build sheet. Good luck!
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had the same flaking going on with our 08 Fleetwood Discovery. They had some nice ultraleather and some cheap vinyl that all flaked off on the captains chair edges and the couches. Flexsteel said that it was the MFG that specified the cheaper product, but in the end they sent new covers(free) for the captains seats that I ended up installing myself. It wasn't that difficult, just had to get a hog ring crimper and clips for about $12. I actually ended up enjoying the whole process. Chair removal was easy, the seat covers were a perfect fit, I used a little bit of 3M automotive adhesive for the seat heaters, and the rest was mostly hog rings and some push on metal clips. I would think an upholstery shop would be a lot more and wouldn't have all the detailing from the original seat covers?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

IMCGill
Driver & passenger chairs and sofa recovered with Flexsteel's free covers. Exactly what Flex-steel puts on--so no difference. I watched parts of the installation process by local upholstery shop and was very glad I did not try it. They even had a steam machine that they used a tube to inject steam into the sponge looking stuff underneath the covers to puff them back up to original shape/size, then let it dry in sun before installing covers. I am really cheap, but the $800 installation cost was well worth it. So, if you figure out what part the sofa was and subtract that guess, then you can tell yourself you saved that part of $800 and enjoyed the process. Good deal for you.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
IMCGill
Driver & passenger chairs and sofa recovered with Flexsteel's free covers. Exactly what Flex-steel puts on--so no difference. I watched parts of the installation process by local upholstery shop and was very glad I did not try it. They even had a steam machine that they used a tube to inject steam into the sponge looking stuff underneath the covers to puff them back up to original shape/size, then let it dry in sun before installing covers. I am really cheap, but the $800 installation cost was well worth it. So, if you figure out what part the sofa was and subtract that guess, then you can tell yourself you saved that part of $800 and enjoyed the process. Good deal for you.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
I hear you, I am definitely not cheap, jus wanted a winter project. I bought some new foam and spent about 15 hours on each chair and spent $150 on labor for the couches. It was very satisfying for me and being an office guy I actually did enjoy myself. Ironically less than a year later I traded up to our current coach.... and after 6 months my wife laid down some bug spray and it out a hole in the passenger seat. My experience helped me order a new cover from Villa Furniture this time and do it again. Villa was more tricky but in the end it looked perfect. It took me a lot longer and I would go broke doing this for a living!