Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

Replacing cloudy glass with laminated?

I'm looking into replacing the cloudy driver's side window and have two options. If I replace with double pane glass, at some future time the cloudiness could come back. If I replace with automotive style laminated glass I will never have to do it again. However, the R value of the window will be substantially less.
Has anybody gone the laminated route and noticed any significant warming? I imagine the main issue would be feeling the heat while driving in the deep south with the sun hitting the window, but would appreciate some insight from anyone who's gone the laminated route.
Thanks for your time!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with the window over my drivers window and am interested in what others have to say. My concern was keeping the cold out opposite of yours.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Couple of thoughts.

If you replace with laminated glass, you can go double thickness and add a film tint to the interior. The new ceramic tints do a good job of reducing radiant heat. Driver's side windows may be restricted on degree of tint by your state laws, so something to check out. Tints are rated by percentage of visible light transmission (VLT), so a 35% tint allows only 35% of visible light through.

Also, my coach has a pull down shade, actually a mesh, that blocks heat/sun but allows vision. That is something else you can consider.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #4

Third option - rebuild it yourself. It's not hard, just be meticulous in the cleaning. You will need a separator strip like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVUZBAS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and a razor knife to cut the old sealant and separate the glass pieces. Then clean clean clean and clean some more. Once you reassemble, install the separator (aluminum edge to the outside) and then seal the exterior with 100% silicone (GE Silicone 2) and if you want to try adding a barrier gas, I used 100% argon from a welding set and a small gap at the top to allow me to push the gas in once the glass was assembled. I used a coffee straw to direct it lower than the exit point and just let it run in for a while to push out all the regular air. Then silicone the gap and it's ready to reassemble in the frame.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i had my driver BIG window refurbished last aug at rv fog doctor
it was very affordable and they did superb work

laminated glass would have added a significant cost to the refurb.

time, cost and all made me decide to go the route of refurb vice other options
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I was thinking of going single pane too at some point. I'm down to one clear window on the driver side. Luckily it is the one I use for the mirror. Go with a 1/4 inch single pane and use 3Ms insulating film. They claim it can give single pane windows the same R value as double pane.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I'm looking into replacing the cloudy driver's side window and have two options. If I replace with double pane glass, at some future time the cloudiness could come back. If I replace with automotive style laminated glass I will never have to do it again. However, the R value of the window will be substantially less.
Has anybody gone the laminated route and noticed any significant warming? I imagine the main issue would be feeling the heat while driving in the deep south with the sun hitting the window, but would appreciate some insight from anyone who's gone the laminated route.
Thanks for your time!
Why go to that effort. Fixing foggy windows is a piece of cake for the guys who do it. It's cheap too. Can't you find a guy in your area of Texas to do it? Surely there are companies there that do it.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #8

I replaced both drivers side window and door glass on my country coach with laminated glass from RV glass solutions.They shipped it right to my home. They made the windows for the coach and it was a perfect fit. You can also visit one of there locations and have them install the glass. 855-300-1371 rvglassexperts.com
Fatjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:34 PM   #9

Thank You for the comments, insights and suggestions. I thought about tackling the window repair myself. I do most of my own work on the coach, but in this case I've just got too many things going on to tackle this in a reasonable time. I did read about a guy who tackled it but the window etching was too far along to save the glass, which also gave me pause. We have a long trip coming up in about 3 weeks. It turns out we will have one stop fairly close to an RV Glass Solutions shop in Florida. I'm arranging for them to take detailed measurements and/or confirm my exact window details. Then they'll give me a price for dual pane and for their laminated solution. I'll either return to them later in the trip to let them install it or I'll have my chosen option shipped back home for me to install later.
I'll follow up with a post on the experience. Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #10

It would be best to make your mind up in advance and have them do it or if you need to replace any glass, take it with you, shipping glass is not cheap.
sandwip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We looked at both replacing the windows with new insulated glass and laminated glass. we decided that windows would fog up with condensation in our high humid area during cold days and there was no defroster or fan blowing on the window. Because the windows were used by the driver, we went with insulated glass.

We had the work done at rv glass repair services in greensboro, nc
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #12

We had all of ours repaired at Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL. Very happy with them and they all have a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I had the 2 big windows on the slide replaced with laminated glass. Someone had acid washed? the original windows destroying the solar bronze coating. See pic. I'm not one to do something twice so wanted a permanent fix. I had a local glass shop do it and they sent the old windows out to another shop to actually make the windows. I can't speak to he insulating value of the old windows with less than 1/4" of gap between the panes but it can only be a simple heat break not real insulation. I cannot feel much difference between the laminated glass windows and the other stock "insulated" windows.

We are going to stop at Coach Glass in Coburg OR. in August and get a quote for the other windows. Not hard to get in/out but need someone who can build the correct thickness laminated glass with the solar bronze coating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideWindow.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	323615  
04 CC 33' Allure Seaside #31077 ISL 400 CM850
24' Wildcat 5th Wheel -- Lance Truck Camper x 2
Equinox Toad
Windward is offline   Reply With Quote