Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

Replacing Dometic Heat Pump-A/C Roof Unit

2 Questions:

1). Current system is 13.5K BTU's. 12 gauge wire and 20 amp breaker. Any reason not to put a 15K unit in?

2). I am replacing the original which is an 07. Dometic no longer makes that model. Are they all standard for hole size and bolt downs?

Thanks bunches!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would replace it with the Dometic Penguin II high-capacity heat pump! You will also need the CCC2 thermostat.

I opted for the 5-year extended warranty when I replaced ours. I thought the cost was pretty reasonable and it seems that if they fail it's usually right after the 3-year factory warranty expires!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
2 Questions:

1). Current system is 13.5K BTU's. 12 gauge wire and 20 amp breaker. Any reason not to put a 15K unit in?

2). I am replacing the original which is an 07. Dometic no longer makes that model. Are they all standard for hole size and bolt downs?

Thanks bunches!
Just finished installing two new Dometic Penquin II 15k high capacity heat pumps, was a problem from the start. Dometic has changed the supply and return locations on their new units. I had to first build new supports from aluminum square tubing to tie into the roof supports and use a Newmar supplied adapter to route the supply and returns correctly to the duct work. They also mount in different lag bolt locations than original. Opened a whole big can of worms with Newmar regarding the different supply and return locations on the underside of the units as Newmar was unaware of this change and now wonder how many late model units are experiencing air mixing problems in the duct work that wasn't caught during production. Buyer beware and make sure your installer knows of this change by Dometic.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer189 View Post
Just finished installing two new Dometic Penquin II 15k high capacity heat pumps, was a problem from the start. Dometic has changed the supply and return locations on their new units. I had to first build new supports from aluminum square tubing to tie into the roof supports and use a Newmar supplied adapter to route the supply and returns correctly to the duct work. They also mount in different lag bolt locations than original. Opened a whole big can of worms with Newmar regarding the different supply and return locations on the underside of the units as Newmar was unaware of this change and now wonder how many late model units are experiencing air mixing problems in the duct work that wasn't caught during production. Buyer beware and make sure your installer knows of this change by Dometic.
Wow! that seems like a big change especially when they are selling these on the replacement market!! Thanks!

Has anyone else run into this problem?
Old 09-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would replace it with the Dometic Penguin II high-capacity heat pump! You will also need the CCC2 thermostat.

I opted for the 5-year extended warranty when I replaced ours. I thought the cost was pretty reasonable and it seems that if they fail it's usually right after the 3-year factory warranty expires!
Nice! How much did it cost?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Easy one first... yes you can go to a 15K with the wiring you have.
I’ll assume you have 2 units, are they heat pumps? If so it gets complicated. If just AC then you can use your current Tstat.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer189 View Post
Did you happen to change from the Brisk Unit to the Penguin?
Old 09-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Did you happen to change from the Brisk Unit to the Penguin?
Yes I did. The earlier Penquin II high capacity replacement units have a different supply / return location than the latest version. One would be better off finding some new old stock units than using the newest units. I learned alot in the week of round d round conversations with Newmar and Dometic on this issue.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Nice! How much did it cost?
The heat pump was $1056, thermostat $85, drip pan $55, for a total of $1196. That was in 2017, so I'm sure they are higher now. I don't remember how much the extended warranty was.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #10

Thanks all - Now to find one! Anyone know where Dometic Penguin ii 13.5's are in stock??

Aug this COVID!
Old 09-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks all - Now to find one! Anyone know where Dometic Penguin ii 13.5's are in stock??

Aug this COVID!
That is the problem I am having right now. I have a small leak on the front unit and the back unit at night just shuts off and comes right back on within one second. Instead of trying to fix them I was just going to replace them as they are about 16 years old. I get most of my AC stuff at PPL in Houston which is about a 1.5 hour drive for me. They are sold out of just about every unit they sell from Dometic and Coleman. They had no idea what AC units they will get in the next shipment.

So now I am going to top off the front unit with a line tap and I have a new control panel for the back unit which might fix the on/off problem. So instead of swapping out the units I am now right in the middle of installing a 3rd unit in the kitchen power vent location. PPL had one unit in stock that was a 15K cool only with the over head control panel. I was eventually going to install one there anyways for really hot climates and in case I lost one of the AC units I could have a back up. We once lost an AC with our old 5th wheel and it ruined the entire trip. I figure the odds of losing one AC during a trip is just about as good as any but losing 2 on the same trip would not be likely. I'm gonna post up a swap thread with some pics and what all was involved when I am done. Hoping that will be today.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced a Dometic 13,500btu heat pump with a new Penguin II high capacity heat pump. The only coaches that have ducting issues are Newmars. You have a few experts that can help you though it in the Newmar owners forum.

If you are replacing only one heat pump, you can keep your original Dometic Comfort Control 5 button thermostat, but you will need to install a conversion control board in the new unit.
If you are replacing all of your heat pumps then it is better to install the new CC2 programable thermostat.

In short you can operate a new A/C unit with an old 5 button thermostat (and a conversion board), but you cannot operate an old A/C with a new thermostat.

They all use the same four mounting bolts that are accessed from inside the coach. Even the circuit breaker is the same.

Detailed thread on replacing a Dometic Heat Pump (it does not cover the Newmar ducting issue)
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rep...ch-405503.html
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I replaced a Dometic 13,500btu heat pump with a new Penguin II high capacity heat pump. The only coaches that have ducting issues are Newmars. You have a few experts that can help you though it in the Newmar owners forum.

If you are replacing only one heat pump, you can keep your original Dometic Comfort Control 5 button thermostat, but you will need to install a conversion control board in the new unit.
If you are replacing all of your heat pumps then it is better to install the new CC2 programable thermostat.

In short you can operate a new A/C unit with an old 5 button thermostat (and a conversion board), but you cannot operate an old A/C with a new thermostat.

They all use the same four mounting bolts that are accessed from inside the coach. Even the circuit breaker is the same.

Detailed thread on replacing a Dometic Heat Pump (it does not cover the Newmar ducting issue)
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rep...ch-405503.html
Hope this helps.
Thanks all!

I have read about the ducting issue so I called Newmar. They quoted me a price about $450 more than other places. I said this is just a Penguin ii right? he admitted it was. I asked if I needed to buy any special ductwork or anything else to replace and he said no but the only way they would guarantee it was if I bought it through them. So I asked if Dometic made a penguin ii just for Newmar and he said again the only way they would guarantee it was if I ordered it from them. He said it would be a direct swap out based on my VIN. Who knows? I guess I'll see when it gets here.

One thing I know is it won't go smoothly - lol!!!!!!

I said I would roll the dice.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Replacing Dometic Heat Pump-A/C Roof Unit

If your Newmar is like mine and others you may need a special gasket from Newmar. I think cost was around $7.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	300146

Tags
dometic, heat, heat pump, roof