Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recently took the entrance door window out that was dual pane because of beginnings of fogging. I took it apart, cleaned the glass etc. and only replaced one of the panes (they are safety glass). I filled the gap with rubber window gasket material and sealed with clear silicone. It looks and works great.

The front windshield on any MH is just safety glass as the entrance door is now. They will have condensation when conditions are right, but no one seems to worry about the front windows when they get water on them. If I had anyone nearby to repair the dual pane, I would have gone with that. But there was not.

I don't have dual panes at my S&B house and they sweat some and no one worries about it. Only the latest and most expensive homes in Houston would have dual panes. Dual panes are good for noise and insulation features, so if that is the focus of concern, then I would agree. Lack of condensation is just an added bonus. The front windshield will most likely sweat anyway, no matter how many dual panes you have throughout the coach.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #16

Just took a tour of Corning Glass in Corning, NY on Valentines Day. Correct, laminate glass is what is used for windshields etc.. Two pieces of glass bonded together with a plastic membrane between to hold together the glass should it be shattered as was demonstrated. Worth the visit if anyone is passing through Corning.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #17

Corning also explained the process of dual pane glass using Argonne Gas to create the vapor barrier for insulation properties. Very difficult and expensive to manufacture. IMO dual pane glass in older rigs pretty much regardless of name plate, such as the OP's is known to fog up due to the lack of quality seals used back then. From what I am told the industry has greatly improved the quality of glass product used on newer rigs. When the day comes for me to upgrade from my Georgetown dual pane will be a must on my shopping list.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming. I don't think I'm into a DIY project, and Dave Root is too far away for me. I will check with some local glass companies to see if anyone will repair my existing glass.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nearly all the windows were fogged on our 2007 MADP, when we picked it up in December. The dealer is replacing all of them with new factory windows. He said they prefer repacing the entire unit over having them repaired. Fine with me. They were ordered in Dec and we are driving it up there this Sat and leaving it with them for a week for the install. I had single pane windows in my 5th wheel and will never go back to them. Just the noise insulation alone is with the price.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
By reading the responses to question asked, people are talking about three different things. Dual pane, as used in a house, two panes of glass separated by an air gap will fog up if seal is broken. Safety glass, or laminated glass, two panes of glass fused together with with plastic between. Will go whitish around the edges with age, will not shatter into thousands of pieces. Tempered glass single pane, will shatter into thousands of pieces, Front windshields are safety glass side windows can be either.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dual pane windows in Motohomes are a joke. The "R" factor is only slightly better than a single pane. Benefit of repairing is cosmetic. We are removing fogged windows one at a time and replacing the glass with Laminated glass. Any auto glass shop can supply the glass. You can Google "R factors" of construction materials and see exactly specific ratings. The cheapest supplier of glass windows is what most mfgs use. Too have the best rated windows one needs to have dual pane with Low e and Argon gas sealed between the panes. Until we as buyers force the RV Mpg's to use quality windows this problem persists. We have several fogged windows. Several places will repair for average price of 3 or 4 hundred bucks per window. You can replace the glass yourself for a lot less money.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Dual pane windows in Motohomes are a joke. The "R" factor is only slightly better than a single pane. Benefit of repairing is cosmetic. We are removing fogged windows one at a time and replacing the glass with Laminated glass. Any auto glass shop can supply the glass. You can Google "R factors" of construction materials and see exactly specific ratings. The cheapest supplier of glass windows is what most mfgs use. Too have the best rated windows one needs to have dual pane with Low e and Argon gas sealed between the panes. Until we as buyers force the RV Mpg's to use quality windows this problem persists. We have several fogged windows. Several places will repair for average price of 3 or 4 hundred bucks per window. You can replace the glass yourself for a lot less money.
X2. Changed my leaking fogged windows to single laminated glass... no problems with mine. Also, no noise....wonder if all the dual pane window owners have a noise problem with their front windshield...don't believe they make dual pane windshields.
yankeeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dual pane not only insulates better for heat and cold but also are much quieter. To have the bad windows fixed will be cheaper than replacing them. There is a company that provides kits or will repair them for you on-site. Do a search for dual pane repair.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
replace windows "R Factor"

A single pane glass window has an R factor of Only 0.9 while a dual or double insulating glass wih an 3/16" air space is 1.61. . These figures are from U of Co. As far as bring quiet, who knows, I couldn't find any data onthat. The RV industry standard dual pane window has ony 3/16" spacr. They may be tinted which doesn't add any value to the R Factor. A really good dual panr window with 3/4" spacr, low E film (addd only 0.20) would have an R factor of 2.38. Hope you can see that RV dual pane windows are no betyer than glass. I prefer the saftey of Laminated glass. No fog, no leak. Ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
A single pane glass window has an R factor of Only 0.9 while a dual or double insulating glass wih an 3/16" air space is 1.61. . These figures are from U of Co. As far as bring quiet, who knows, I couldn't find any data onthat. The RV industry standard dual pane window has ony 3/16" spacr. They may be tinted which doesn't add any value to the R Factor. A really good dual panr window with 3/4" spacr, low E film (addd only 0.20) would have an R factor of 2.38. Hope you can see that RV dual pane windows are no betyer than glass. I prefer the saftey of Laminated glass. No fog, no leak. Ed
Still would prefer dual pane, as they are almost double the insulation value. They do not sweat in the hot humid or cold. The benefits of dual pane to me are well worth the extra expense

Sit beside a single pane window on a cold day and feel the cold coming in compared to a dual pane window
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 AM   #26

As Traps90 points out, there is a significant difference in comfort level. Out here in the high Nevada desert area where we live (and camp), even in the summer nights are chilly. In a motorhome, unlike your house, you are in close proximity to your windows, especially when lying in bed. Having had several single-pane RVs, we noticed a BIG difference, especially when sleeping, when we got an RV with dual pane windows. You don't feel the cold air 'sliding down' off of them (onto you). My vote is for dual pane. The ONLY reason RV manufacturers omit them is to save money.
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #27

dual pane replacment

If you replace your dual pane windows with Laminated glass, how are you addressing the spacing issue? Dual pane glass is slightly wider than the laminated replacement?
hrbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #28

Dual pane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Still would prefer dual pane, as they are almost double the insulation value. They do not sweat in the hot humid or cold. The benefits of dual pane to me are well worth the extra expense

Sit beside a single pane window on a cold day and feel the cold coming in compared to a dual pane window
But 2x almost nothing is still next to nothing. Whether .9 or 1.6 it's still neglishable. I think the people who actually buy into it are fooling themselves. Wonder what the R value is of my 1/4" thick glass is?
Shading the window will do 10x more in hot sun than having dual pane windows. The sealing around the edges has more to do with keeping noise out.