RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #15
RMS

Dual pane

After two fogged window repairs went with the single pane. Great to not have to worry about another fog job.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
Great info!! FIREUP...you mention the $300 per window...was that Atwood replacing the dual with single? Also, what did you do to address the difference in thickness? I might have missed it? FALCON...agree, green would NOT cut it. I get all the green I need out the windows where I stay. I haven't got far enough on researching this to get to color, but would take clear over green for sure! GARYROAMER: agree, I had the same thought...it will be something to consider...bumped FIREUP to see how they handled it. MS: thanks for your comment....but I LOVE the single pane on our TT....and don't see any R value issue so far!

Thanks for all the information everyone!
fixn2gocamp
Thanks for the nice comments. The $300 was for each window. What I was working on at the time, was a stationary and slider, for each side of the coach. Both were the same size. Both had fogging in both the slider and the stationary. So, I had two windows out of the coach at one time. So, that would have been close to $600 for the two from Atwood, at that time.

Now, you asked about the thickness. Well, as I stated earlier, that particular glass shop had multiple thickness's of LAMINATED glass. And not only that but, they had multiple colors too. They matched not only my original color tint but they came very, very close to the same thickness as the two panes of the original windows.

And that leads me to say to others that have mentioned the term SINGLE PANE, well, we need to clear up terminology here. SINGLE PANE glass, is NOT LAMINATED GLASS. Single pane is a single pane of glass, period. LAMINATED glass is just what the name implies, two panes of glass, LAMINATED together with a sheet of very special flexible plastic in between. And as stated, IT DOES come in different thickness's. I could have used the original extruded rubber seals but, this shop I was working with was very talented in "thinking outside the box" 'cause they do it day in and day out.

When I re-installed the re-worked windows, they looked and functioned, exactly like they did with the dual paned ones.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #17

Scott.
I too live in San Diego. Would you please share which glass shop you used and tech who did the work in San Diego and ballpark of the cost for laminate glass replacement.
Thanks!
Bob
Bob1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1477 View Post
Scott.
I too live in San Diego. Would you please share which glass shop you used and tech who did the work in San Diego and ballpark of the cost for laminate glass replacement.
Thanks!
Bob
Bob,
First off, the conversion I did from dual pane factory windows was well over 10 years ago. Second, we moved from San Diego 3+ years ago and, I don't even know if that company still exists. On second thought, I just cruised the net and found it. It appears to be the same place I had the work done.

Karl's Glass & Mirror Co
5 Google reviews
Auto glass shop in Lemon Grove, California
Address: 6510 Federal Blvd, Lemon Grove, CA 91945
Phone: (619) 239-1711

The owner used to be a gent by the name of Bob Klussmann. His sons were (at the time) working for him and, were very talented in the glass world. I surely don't know if they're still there or, anything more about the company.
But, all you can do is try. This subject bounces around every now and then. And there's always naysayers that have never stepped outside the box when it comes to repairs or any form of work. I did it, it worked and both the wife and I were very, very pleased with the outcome. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #19

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the info.
Bob1477 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single, window