Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Apparently he's missing the key point- get it to a decent dealer. I've had my share of flats on duals, Had my share of double-blowouts. but unless you are running a load near max capacity on a set of tires, there is no harm in singling out. And "singling out" means you stop, remove the blown tire and reverse the inner dual so it is on the outermost position. And, I repeat, I have NEVER had a tire disqualified under federal DOT regulations for doing this- and have left many a scalehouse under exactly the conditions I have described.
At any rate, I'd still rather have one tire left on the same side in a blowout over supersingles, as the OP was asking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I have driven over 100 miles with one flat on a dual many times with a fully loaded truck. I have also had the other tire blow as well. Depends on the condition of the tire and how hot it is and how fast you go. It's not impossible!
Um..Its not guaranteed that you will blow the remaining tire.. and I dont think I said that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRHost View Post
Apparently he's missing the key point- get it to a decent dealer. I've had my share of flats on duals, Had my share of double-blowouts. but unless you are running a load near max capacity on a set of tires, there is no harm in singling out. And "singling out" means you stop, remove the blown tire and reverse the inner dual so it is on the outermost position. And, I repeat, I have NEVER had a tire disqualified under federal DOT regulations for doing this- and have left many a scalehouse under exactly the conditions I have described.
At any rate, I'd still rather have one tire left on the same side in a blowout over supersingles, as the OP was asking.
I got your point.. your missing mine. But then, that was the whole point of that statement, by me and someone else: IF you are OVER the MAX, then you ARE doing DAMAGE... And, most Class A's are already at, or over, max..

In any case, this is one of those things thats like asking which brand tire you should buy, or car to drive, or who you should vote for in the next election.. You have your opinion, I have mine, and we disagree. You dont like the tires, dont put them on. Simple.. But, dont pass out false info on them to back your opinion up..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Um..Its not guaranteed that you will blow the remaining tire.. and I dont think I said that..

I got your point.. your missing mine. But then, that was the whole point of that statement, by me and someone else: IF you are OVER the MAX, then you ARE doing DAMAGE... And, most Class A's are already at, or over, max..

In any case, this is one of those things thats like asking which brand tire you should buy, or car to drive, or who you should vote for in the next election.. You have your opinion, I have mine, and we disagree. You dont like the tires, dont put them on. Simple.. But, dont pass out false info on them to back your opinion up..
I apologize if I have seemed argumentative; I recognize that I do that sometimes when I am attempting to keep replies short.
I do want to know, though, what false information was I passing out? I have driven over 2 million miles, and hauled a lot of different commodities, and this has exposed me to everything I have cited. BUT, I must point out that virtually ALL of those miles were under 18 wheels, not an RV. Some were even under Super Single trailers with Hazmat loaded tankers, but they were converting back to duals at the time.
I had no idea that Class A RVs were under that kind of load, as it were. So as I have stated before, I'm learning more every day.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I should have made that last paragraph more generic looking as it was intended to be. Wasn't singling you out as the 'false info giver'.

Sorry..
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was hoping that was the case, lol... No problem. I love your input on so many levels.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Driving for 10hours today on I-40 then I-35 I saw a lot of over the road trucks with singles vice duals. Has anyone ever looked into this possibility with Class A's? I wonder if it would improve performance of a rig if this were done?

This seems to have turned into a trucker thread. I thought the original question was about the possibility of using the large singles on a Motorhome. I have seen many big rigs with the big singles on a trailer. I think a motorhome would behave different than a big rig especially on the rear drive axle
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Not really.. all evidence points to the same fuel savings and improved ride quality. The only real question is safety in a blowout..
Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #36

It will be interesting to see how this turns out in 10 years. Some of you may remember the transition from tubed to tubeless tires in the '50's. A lot of people said that they would never give up the safety of a tube. As it turns out, tubeless are much less likely to have a "Blow out" (sudden loss of air).

Time will tell.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been looking around. I think that there are only SSs that have high enough capacity in 22.5. I have yet to find 19.5s with over a 3500lbs capacity. Unless I am looking in the wrongplace. BTW I have seen trucks with SSs on the drive axels as well as the trailer wheels. Just got back from Texas and sawlots more today. They seem to be getting more popular with the big rig crowd.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Not really.. all evidence points to the same fuel savings and improved ride quality. The only real question is safety in a blowout..
The only real question is safety in a blowout driving a motorhome. I do agree with the the possibility of better ride quality and fuel savings but I am not sure if it would be worth the possible risk (Motorhome)
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
I've been looking around. I think that there are only SSs that have high enough capacity in 22.5. I have yet to find 19.5s with over a 3500lbs capacity. Unless I am looking in the wrongplace. BTW I have seen trucks with SSs on the drive axels as well as the trailer wheels. Just got back from Texas and sawlots more today. They seem to be getting more popular with the big rig crowd.
Dont think so.. reason I wondered if I could 'upgrade' to 22.5's from 19.5's.. Too much in price, however.. that extra buys a lot of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
The only real question is safety in a blowout driving a motorhome. I do agree with the the possibility of better ride quality and fuel savings but I am not sure if it would be worth the possible risk (Motorhome)
Agree.. though I havent found a SS the blew on an RV yet.. Still researching.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #40

I think part of the equation is that many RV'ers (and probably a lot of truckers) are very resistant to change...
Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
I think part of the equation is that many RV'ers (and probably a lot of truckers) are very resistant to change...

I think that if MH manufacturers were to start offering them as standard equipment, that might change perception as they would then be assuming "risk" in our lawsuit happy society.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
This discussion is much like discussions on Montana LLC's, most of the negative discussion is from people who have never tried running super singles but are certain anybody who does is wrong, will go to he!! or jail or all 3.
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote