Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 03:29 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be very careful with Carefree

I’m on my second Carefree awning. Coach is a ‘16 Thor Miramar. It does not have tracks on the side of the coach, just the two auto arms at the top.

First awning didn’t auto retract, arm broke, in low winds. Expensive insurance claim for the mobile repair and the replacement.

Second one decided to also not retract in a minor wind gust, all the mounting screws came out of the forward bracket. Damaged the fiberglass holes and scratched the paint. I had to wait 3 days to get a mobile repair service before we could move the coach. And yes, my wife helped me jury rig a solution to get the awning out of the way of the door while I was up on the ladder.

Net: Both Carefree and Thor are in the wrong in the design and application of this awning. I strongly recommend you research very carefully real RVers experience with Carefree awnings, which ever model you looking at.

If I had a choice, I wouldn’t get a Carefree.
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #16

JD11 thank you so much for the info and your time with a good explanation. So many things are happening now and the road blocks in simply fixing this awning without it costing half the price of buying new have put me on hold. It has got to be fixed or replaced eventually so I appreciate every reply to help in this decision.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Our previous motor home was not built with an awning. Had a Carefree manual installed down near San Diego in 2015 for around $700. parts and labor. In the past two years, we have spend almost $1700 on our A&E power awning (fabric, motor and control box). Yeah, an electric awning is convenient, but in all honesty, I wish I had just replaced the electric with manual one. Much more versatile and certainly cheaper than the money I ended up paying.
Thank you, you are not the first to tell me to stay away from replacing with Carefree. My thoughts are going toward manual if I can't find this stinking little part.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #18

Panther RV in Wash sold me an arm for a Dometic 9100......Get yourself some 1/4" exploding rivets and long handled rivet tool and add a few more into the arm, even the existing one......Amazon has both....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Our previous motor home was not built with an awning. Had a Carefree manual installed down near San Diego in 2015 for around $700. parts and labor. In the past two years, we have spend almost $1700 on our A&E power awning (fabric, motor and control box). Yeah, an electric awning is convenient, but in all honesty, I wish I had just replaced the electric with manual one. Much more versatile and certainly cheaper than the money I ended up paying.
AMEN! I too wished I still had my manual awnings!

My last coach, 2009 Winnie Sightseer had 2 manual awnings that NEVER gave me an ounce of problems. I could position them the way I wanted... Fast forward to my new coach, which has 2 useless Girard awnings... They are fragile at best, don't do well in anything past a misting rain, if the motion sensors take over in a wind situation and try to retract, chances are, the damage is already done.

Don't get me wrong, they look cool and sleek. They are only good for a sun shade, but not much else. I have contemplated having a manual Dometic or some other brand installed as a usable solution.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #20

Not all that hard to add some strength to a Dometic electric awning......mine stays out till wind forecasts 35 or higher, gauged by my wind meter,,,,,,and weather app...
Old 09-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Not all that hard to add some strength to a Dometic electric awning......mine stays out till wind forecasts 35 or higher, gauged by my wind meter,,,,,,and weather app...
Care to elaborate? Might be interesting to see what you've done.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #22

Sure....I have self storing (stay attached) aluminum telescopic square tubing adjustable awning poles and using a ground anchor called the Claw (small aircraft ground tie downs), and also same type of self storing deflapper poles on which I use 2 Camco deflappers on each end........very easy set up and can take take down in a minute and a half if needed....use quick pins for height and storing, and self winding ratchet straps for the tie downs.....brackets that hold the poles are hand formed and bolted and riveted to awning arms....and mine is a Dometic electric style 9100, which I also added an RF controller....and I still retain the tip adjustments...7 years use so far...
Old 09-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. That's interesting.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:02 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You’re welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
JD11 thank you so much for the info and your time with a good explanation. So many things are happening now and the road blocks in simply fixing this awning without it costing half the price of buying new have put me on hold. It has got to be fixed or replaced eventually so I appreciate every reply to help in this decision.
I hope it goes well for you. I know it’s frustrating. We were so angry at having to go through this twice I swore I was going to have it removed and not replaced. We simply don’t trust this Carefree awning to use it.
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric