Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Replacing fan motor on top A/C

Our 2001 Tradewinds has to Domecit (penguin) air-conditioners. One of the motors went out and I am trying to replace it. From the top looking down it has a motor with a shaft running through it that turns the condenser fan on one end and the evaporator fan on the other. They are both squirrel cage . I think, that you must remove the evaporator fan on the motor and the motor and condenser fan will come out together. The problem is removing the evaporator fan. It is made of plastic and has a clamp at the end which I have removed, but cannot get it off the shaft. After removing the clamp there is a slit in which I have tried to pry open but so far not been able to get the evaporator fan off.from the inside of the motorhome I tried to remove it with a pri bar with no success. Has anyone replaced a motor such as this. If so, I would appreciate any information
happy trails – – – Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

You're saying the blower wheel won't come off the motor shaft? I've had one I had just to scrap the blower and get a new one. But WD40, sand paper, and gentle time is all I use. That's with the motor out of course and on the table.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

Thank you, my problem is getting it out. I have just about every tool there is including pullers, but it sits about 2 inches from the evaporator coils.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #4

Ragman, I have not done an RV AC fan but many times squirrel cage blowers when retained with a spring clamp have a notch made on the inside of the cage hole, this helps lock the squirrel cage to the shaft. You may try a pocket screwdriver and try lifting the center at the slit you spoke of....If it is as I say....they are a bugger to get off even if you have the whole assembly in your lap...it's 1 of those "it takes 3 hands" type jobs...2 to pry and 1 to pull the cage....good luck
Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK I am going to suggest two things and the second one is try at your own risk I do not recommend doing it keep a fire extinguisher handy.

First method is PB blaster and give it a few minutes to work try tapping gently with a mallot to see if it will move. If it does not move go for dangerous option two.

I am not going to make a suggestion here just point out that I have seen results of people trying to get stuck parts on rusted tractor implements and rusted bolts off by heating the shaft with a propane torch and then holding an ordinary candle to it the candle wax will be wicked up the shaft and makes a tremendous difference when loosening or sliding off. You are not in a torch friendly are however so that method might be way too dangerous to try. I am just putting this out for information> I would not recommend anyone try it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What makes you think the motor is bad, usually the Start or the run capacitors go out before the motor does. Did you try to replace the capacitors first?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Carriers are a bit different, but not in a way that matters

Blower on one end, fan on other.. The fan has to be removed to remove the motor..

The first time I took the fan off I had to get a bit rough but once you have the clamp off (Which you have) just keep working on it, Penetratants like WD-40 or Cyclo Breakaway or PB-Blaster may help. Or make a tool and tap tap

Take a wood stick, say a 1x2 strip, cut a shaft size slot in it about 1/2 -3/4 inch deep.. This may work as the "Tool" for you to tap on with a light hammer.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

If you need help let me know I will be replacing Kent's I work in grand Praire but live south. Look for a post 2003 Coleman Ac motor let me know
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to make sure the set screw is removed, spray with PB blaster let seep a while use rubber hammer drive toward motor shaft a little, then use fine grit sandpaper on shaft till loose, check your start capacitor or replace they are cheap.

Good luck,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan