Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Replacing Four Winds Windsport RV Refrigerator

I have a 2008 Four Winds Windsport with a Norcold refrigerator model N611LT. For months I've been having problems with it freezing my food/beverages. It's on the lowest setting (1) and I've moved the thermistor but it still is too cold. I've defrosted it several times when the metal fins get frozen over. I'm assuming at this point it needs to be replaced but I would like to replace it with a regular apartment size refrigerator (AC only, not a 2 way AC/propane as it is cheaper). A friend has done this with his RV (not a Four Winds) a few years back. Has anyone replaced their Four Winds with a regular refrigerator recently and can you suggest what make/model you've purchased? Any other suggestions about the current fridge are welcome. I'd like to not have to replace it but I don't think I have any choice. Thanks!
c2sbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
ptl

I recently replaced my Norcold fridge. Was headed camping on a Tuesday went out Monday to put some items in fridge and it was warm and had a strong smell of ammonia. I checked the size and went down to Home Depot and picked me up a magic chef 10.1 cf fridge for $358.00 and that night I had a cold fridge and went camping Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MC.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	262780  
ptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:35 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptl View Post
I recently replaced my Norcold fridge. Was headed camping on a Tuesday went out Monday to put some items in fridge and it was warm and had a strong smell of ammonia. I checked the size and went down to Home Depot and picked me up a magic chef 10.1 cf fridge for $358.00 and that night I had a cold fridge and went camping Tuesday.
Installed the same fridge in my Hurricane. My problem was the crystal formation in the piping. Freezer would be into the 20's but nothing in the fridge.

For the problem as described the fridge is still working, as compared to what I and ptl encountered and but it reads as if the cooling system is not being controller. Could be the thermistor in the fridge, the control board something else. There are some simple troubleshooting steps in the attached PDF's you can try to narrow down the problem. Also add a small fan in the fridge compartment. I would sometimes freeze food on the top shelf near the cooling fins but the drawer at the bottom of the compartment was much warmer as the air does not cycle in side the fridge as it does in a residential model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170628_174843.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	262790  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Norcold N611RT Service Manual.pdf (2.49 MB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Norcold N611RT Owners-Manual.pdf (384.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your opening size and go to home depot they have a refrigerator that is the same size as the Norcold 2 door. The same refrigerator comes in different brands and they are about $300. I have installed four of these for people over the last three years. You can secure them with two lag bolt to the floor in the back.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you're happy with the capacity of your fridge I would see if JC Refrigeration has a compressor-type cooling unit that will fit it. You will have all the advantages of a residential fridge without the hassle of trying to make one fit your space! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the Norcold is running in back-up mode, where the cooling unit operates continuously. Might be as simple as a broken thermister or faulty eyebrow board. Excessive cooling is a control problem, not a failed cooling unit.

That said, a smaller apartment size fridge is a fairly easy install if you have some basic handyman skills. It's a matter of choosing a model that fits in the space and can still fully open the door(s). Fridge manufacturers have excellent dimensions on their website, so measure up your space, both length/width/height and door-swing, and start hunting the best fit.

You will need an inverter, preferably pure sine, if you expect to power the fridge between campsite hook-ups, or camp without hook-ups. You also need enough battery amp-hours to support whatever time you will be off-grid. Some folks simply cool the fridge at home and drive to a campground with the fridge off, then plug in at arrival. It should be good for at least a few hours of travel.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
four winds, refrigerator, wind