Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Replacing Oasis door awning material on 07 Bus

Is this a DIY job? If you have done it I could some tips!!

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jim
New member of five minutes ago!
jpgclg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've done it

And created a document on how about 1 1/2 years ago.

Not difficult and one person can do it alone if it's not windy.

But first, what's wrong with the awning you have? They are not impossible to repair.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #3

It's got a three inch rip in it from the wind. It's right where the material goes into the front edge that moves out from the main housing.

Thanks for the response!
Jim
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I mis-understood

I think I missed the word fabric and thought you were replacing the whole thing.

Chances are it's screwed to the side and has butyl adhesive tape under it. It's going to take some scraping and prying to get it off.

Did you find the previous post/document I posted? I probably have it on my laptop somewhere and can sent it to you directly if you want help.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found the original post

It contains a parts list and exploded diagram.

The only thing I would add is that you might want to put some painters tape on both the awning body and your coach and mark it's current position with a line so you can line up the existing screw holes when you re-install it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/oasi...ct-112816.html

Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

Thanks, that parts manual is what I needed as it is for the same model & product number Oasis that I have and gives me the part number I need.

Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #7

We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon. We just replaced the same part as everyone else because our awning would not retract. We did not have to remove the awning from the coach - there is a much easier way:

With the awning fully open:

We removed the front plastic cap from the awning box. The front cap just snaps on - no screws like on the back cap. (No need to remove the back cap at all)

After the front cap is removed, you will see a white end piece. The end piece is held on by two Phillip screws and a very tiny rivet on the bottom. We drilled through the tiny rivet to remove it.

When the white cap is removed, the awning roller and fabric are now floating free - held in place only by the fact that the awning material is held in the track of the extended aluminum face bar (the one that is extended out and has the "Oasis" label on it.)

Remove the forward end bracket of that face bar (a 1/2" socket) and you simply slide the awning material out of the track.

At this point, the awning material and roller bar are completely free from the coach. The arms, face bar and box remain safely attached to the coach.

We removed the damaged gear from the end of the roller tube, popped the new one in and reversed the process to put the awning back on the coach.

Because we drilled out that tiny (and I do mean "tiny") rivet, we replaced it with a tiny screw.

Took us about 20 mins total.

Best part is: we didn't disturb the original seal/installation on the coach. The awning was riveted to our coach with massive rivets. We didn't want to drill out those rivets because we didn't have suitable replacements.

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door