Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Agree about the illegal issue but... HID doubles the lumen output and there are some reflector housings which have a clean light pattern. The housing may have to be realigned. ...
I hear what you are saying but it doesn't work that way.

The "hot spot" has to be exactly in the same place as the previous bulb for the reflector to properly align the beam pattern. You would be how tight the tolerances are to create a proper beam pattern. Of course, the housing must also be properly adjusted to set the cut off point to the proper specifications. The issue is that unless you properly form the light, you can't ever know that the pattern won't subject oncoming traffic to excessive glare.

Keep in mind that lighting systems are generally self-certified as meeting DOT/SAE requirements by the manufacturer saying that their designs meet all the applicable regulations. Many of these non-DOT compliant upgrades will say something to the effect that it is for off-road use. That will be a strong clue on legality.

There are some full assemblies that are re-designed to meet DOT specifications. Also, if you are using sealed beams then those often come in HID versions.

I know, I know, some folks will say, in effect, "go for it". You know the issues so it is your decision.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 02:32 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Well I for one support installing HID kits. I have them in all my cars, Hyundai Tucson, Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Gt, Toyota Prius, Lexus SC430 and yes my motor home. I even put them in my MH driving lights.. Hell I even have them in my Rhino for that matter Of course the trick is to adjust them properly which I do so I don't blind other drivers. But I really don't feel so bad because when ever I drive at night I come across lots of A-Holes with their high beams on and even some with those big 17,000 lumin LED light bars on and do you think they will dim them? Nope, but my high beams are going to leave spots in their eyes. I've passed many law officers with no problem and personally know a few and they say as long as they are properly aimed there isn't a problem. You just need to know what you are doing when you install them and aim them properly and you will be fine. And the best part is you will be able to see the road without bothering other drivers.
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I hear what you are saying but it doesn't work that way.

The "hot spot" has to be exactly in the same place as the previous bulb for the reflector to properly align the beam pattern. You would be how tight the tolerances are to create a proper beam pattern. Of course, the housing must also be properly adjusted to set the cut off point to the proper specifications. The issue is that unless you properly form the light, you can't ever know that the pattern won't subject oncoming traffic to excessive glare.

Keep in mind that lighting systems are generally self-certified as meeting DOT/SAE requirements by the manufacturer saying that their designs meet all the applicable regulations. Many of these non-DOT compliant upgrades will say something to the effect that it is for off-road use. That will be a strong clue on legality.

There are some full assemblies that are re-designed to meet DOT specifications. Also, if you are using sealed beams then those often come in HID versions.

I know, I know, some folks will say, in effect, "go for it". You know the issues so it is your decision.
Agree with what you say Don . In my response I was implying that some not all reflector housing are made properly, hence a clean light pattern . I have been using HID technology in my motorcycles since 2002 and have accumulated about 100K miles riding in the dark. The HID bulbs made by Phillips are the most precise regarding focal spot, higher end Taiwan HID second. The single reflector housings for hi and low beam work ok for the low beam but the focal point for the hi beam is way off. I would not recommend Bi xzenon telescoping HID kits period those folks should stick with the stock halogen.
The best option would be a pair of Clearwater LED Aux driving lights triggered by the coaches HI beam or separate control. The cool thing about Clearwater LED driving lights is you can control light output with a dimmer switch.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:29 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Well I for one support installing HID kits. I have them in all my cars, Hyundai Tucson, Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Gt, Toyota Prius, Lexus SC430 and yes my motor home. I even put them in my MH driving lights.. Hell I even have them in my Rhino for that matter Of course the trick is to adjust them properly which I do so I don't blind other drivers. But I really don't feel so bad because when ever I drive at night I come across lots of A-Holes with their high beams on and even some with those big 17,000 lumin LED light bars on and do you think they will dim them? Nope, but my high beams are going to leave spots in their eyes. I've passed many law officers with no problem and personally know a few and they say as long as they are properly aimed there isn't a problem. You just need to know what you are doing when you install them and aim them properly and you will be fine. And the best part is you will be able to see the road without bothering other drivers.
You're in Canada so I have no idea if they are legal or not but your justifications FOR using them are pretty poor from my perspective. Other drivers are "A-holes" but you've justified your reasoning so it's OK. I'm one of the drivers who does not use the illegal lights because I know how much they bother my eyes at night. If extremely bright (and possibly illegal) lights bother me, then I'm betting they bother other drivers who just remain silent about it.

Sure I'd like brighter lights to allow for better vision but until they make a better and legal product I'll be that old fart who drives slower so that I can be safer and not an "A-hole".

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
mdpuff and LSC9901, I also am in Canada, and have driven at night a lot. Adding a set of AC landing lights relayed to only run on high beam is THE only way to go as far as I am concerned. Use good heavy wire (10 or 12 gauge) for power supply, mount as high as possible and enjoy! If someone is brash enough to come at you with high beams not dimmed, you can burn the paint off them with a quick flash!! (sorry is that the redneck coming out of me?)
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
mdpuff and LSC9901, I also am in Canada, and have driven at night a lot. Adding a set of AC landing lights relayed to only run on high beam is THE only way to go as far as I am concerned. Use good heavy wire (10 or 12 gauge) for power supply, mount as high as possible and enjoy! If someone is brash enough to come at you with high beams not dimmed, you can burn the paint off them with a quick flash!! (sorry is that the redneck coming out of me?)
Remind me to stay on low beams in Canada. Last thing I wanna see coming at me are AC lights !!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or a moose! Really hard on bodywork.
Take care and safe travels.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #36

I would also question the legality of the chuckler's using a 24" LED light bar on a State or Federal highway. I have bought and used several LED bars and none of them are DOT approved for highway use. The bar, the box and the catalogue all said OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY.

I would say it would be ok to mount them, just couldn't legally use them except off-roading and yes, I think it would be UNSAFE for oncoming traffic to drive towards a blinding light, on a highway.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #37
rkf

On the lights are numbers and they will till you the mfger like my 1998 tiffin had headlights from a 96 Ford Mustang, go figure but it did so I ordered the set and they worked great
Just google replacement headlights
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkf View Post
On the lights are numbers and they will till you the mfger like my 1998 tiffin had headlights from a 96 Ford Mustang, go figure but it did so I ordered the set and they worked great
Just google replacement headlights
Right rfk, my '08 uses '01-'03 Toyota Highlander headlight assemblies.

Tags
light, lights